Long Time Member
Big news for folks with ties to the land

Iron co. chimed in with a get the feral horses
out of our county.

This is good stuff,
inform yourself if you haven't already.

Anyone else rooting for Bundy ?

I'm UN-INFORMED?

Can somebody Chime in with the Total Truth about the whole Deal?

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Many years ago I had a way of Believing Our Government for the most part!

Them days have come & gone!

What's the Truthful Scoop?

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Well!

I don't know who's Right or Wrong here?

But I am glad to see Americans Stand Their Ground!

The Day they send them in to try & take Our Guns I do believe they will have their Hands Full!

Looks like a Situation that coulda been a lot worse?

I'm sure it ain't over with yet!

I Cain't wait to see/read Slicks Reply on this!

So does that mean you are OK with any rancher/ sheep herder replacing feral horses with cattle and range maggots at will, wherever and whenever they want them there? I am not sure exactly where I stand on the issue but the Iron county irony couldn't be thicker. I get it that the county is pulling the card of states rights vs fed. But where it gets funny is a lot of hunters will be giddy to rid the lands of feral horses, while a win for the nv rancher would also mean I can drop off 1k head of sheep on federal land any time I feel like it. It is also funny that Iron county would use this as a political traction point when the nv rancher has lost legally at every crossroads leading into this for the last two plus decades. Bundy has already lost and this is a last minute act of desperation wrapped into a well orchestrated PR move. I tend to want to side with the little guy but, what bits and pieces you are learning about on the cable news outlets is hardly representative of the whole story. The players are just marionettes acting on legal advice. With the cameras rolling I am sure every component is operating differently than the dress rehearsal leading I to it.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Again!

I don't know the whole Scoop/Truth!

Probably not many that do?

I'm also for holding up the Law/Laws even though I don't agree with many of them!

Here's my Question:

This Sshiitt has been going on forever/quite some time!

Why do they wait 15/20/25/30 years before they decide to move in & finally do something about it?

Look at Warren Jeffs!

How many years did they let the BS keep taking place?

ANSWERS FROM SOMEBODY PLEASE?

I Think Ole BEEFY has started a Thread that's gonna Rack up a few Posts!

Somebody must of told them BLM Officials to keep their Mouth's Shut?

We had to call some BLM Boy's in from Oregon?

Guess they don't want any Conflict with Local BLM Officials?

>I Think Ole BEEFY has started
>a Thread that's gonna Rack
>up a few Posts!
>
>Somebody must of told them BLM
>Officials to keep their Mouth's
>Shut?

so far 60% of the responses have been from you Bess

Im positive there are two sides to this story. There always is.

Im not sure exactly where I stand on this specific issue. But Im sure the Bundy's are not the innocents they would have you believe. They've been defying the law and court orders for years. That said the BLM is without a diubt exceeding their authority with their tactics. The sheriff is the highest law enforcement official in the county under Nevada law.

In one wise mans words "polygamist land hogs vs jack booted thugs".

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup, I just stir it.[/font]

>>I Think Ole BEEFY has started
>>a Thread that's gonna Rack
>>up a few Posts!
>>
>>Somebody must of told them BLM
>>Officials to keep their Mouth's
>>Shut?
>
>
>so far 60% of the responses
>have been from you Bess
>
>
>
>
>
>Im positive there are two sides
>to this story. There always
>is.
>
>Im not sure exactly where I
>stand on this specific issue.
>But Im sure the Bundy's
>are not the innocents they
>would have you believe. They've
>been defying the law and
>court orders for years. That
>said the BLM is without
>a diubt exceeding their authority
>with their tactics. The sheriff
>is the highest law enforcement
>official in the county under
>Nevada law.
>
>In one wise mans words "polygamist
>land hogs vs jack
>booted thugs".
>
>[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,
>I just stir it.[/font]

I Ain't taking Sides NVB!

Not sayin the Bundy's are Right!

Answer My GAWD-DAMNED Question Please:

Let's say the Bundy's are not Right?

Why has this BullSshhitt Been Drug on for Years/decades without anything being done about it?

Do You Think if I started Breakin the Law I could get away with it for many,many years without anybody doing anything about it?

ANSWERS PLEASE!!!

Bess, I dont know why. I really have no idea. I guess I better read up on the specifics.

Well NVB!

I'm not being Rude!

Just wondering why some can Break the Laws forever before something's done about it?

Now if I decided to become a Prophet!

And build a Kingdom/Castle!

With a Special Bed in it!

Just how long do you think I could get away with it?

I would guess a lot of the time elapsed stems from them giving him time to comply, then legal motion after legal motion taking place going back and forth. At the end of the day, they weren't acting entirely arbitrary. They were acting on a legal court order. As much as I know the feds in particular can come across as heavy handed, in this case they have waited nearly two decades, and the law is pretty clearly on their side. Now if you want a citizen vs the man case I can get behind, it is the gentleman from Wyoming getting torn up by the epa for building a pond on HIS property.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

As STUPID as it may seem 1911!

You can't use somebody elses water to build you a Pond!

OK Guys!

I'll STFU now!

Just about to put the PERTY BIRDY in to Orbit!

Anybody know how long it'll be before they shut me down?

Sounds like Zeke might Shoot me down before they shut me down!:D

Oh I know. But between the two I am way more sympathetic to the pond builder. Same general concept though. You can't use somebody else's land for your commercial grazing. In this case, the land happens to be owned by the blm. The blm has the authority to protect it and a court order to back it up. If he can graze his commercial cattle operation on there at will than who can tell him he can't build a cabin there too? Or build a six flags for that matter...or start a strip mine operation....or a strip club operation just for eel.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-14 AT 06:00PM (MST)[p]I Agree 1911!

Just wondering why they let it go for so many years and then they surround the Place Finally with FBI/SharpShooters & Them 'PUZZIES' in them BLM SUV's?:D

The rancher is trying to push this thing. He has gone to court twice and lost. This is simply a wack job twisting the facts to paint him as fighting some noble fight. I wonder if I would get the same support if I claimed the 11 mile road on the Pavant? He is claiming public property as his own.

I think 1911 said it all pretty well. The only clarification I will make is that the BLM doesn't OWN the land. That land belongs to the people of the United States. ALL of us. Not just the Bundy family. Not the state of Nevada. It's public land administered by the BLM.

What makes me puke is that now they are becoming martyrs for the cause. They've forced the governor and state senator to take a stand which will be taken out of context as an endorsement of their cause. In fact their stand says clearly that they support the LEGAL use of public lands. The local tea party here is cheering this rancher on because it furthers THEIR cause against the federal government.

As hunters who like to enjoy using public lands for recreation you all better damn well pay attention to which team you choose to cheer for.

That is all.

Oh, and I guess I'm not familiar with the pond builder in Wyoming.

>The rancher is trying to push
>this thing. He has gone
>to court twice and lost.
> This is simply a
>wack job twisting the facts
>to paint him as fighting
>some noble fight. I
>wonder if I would get
>the same support if I
>claimed the 11 mile road
>on the Pavant? He
>is claiming public property as
>his own.

Not a bad idea.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Sorry but I am anti grazing fee welfare....

Bring the fee's up to 2014 cost and I am cool with it as we all are paying 2014 cost on everything we pay for except these grazing welfare types.

Robb

>Sorry but I am anti grazing
>fee welfare....
>
>Bring the fee's up to 2014
>cost and I am cool
>with it as we all
>are paying 2014 cost on
>everything we pay for except
>these grazing welfare types.
>
>Robb

The way I understand it, Al Bundy has no inflation issues with his grazing fees. He has been paying $0 all along.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-14 AT 06:59PM (MST)[p]"... If he can graze his commercial cattle operation on there at will than who can tell him he can't build a cabin there too? Or build a six flags for that matter...or start a strip mine operation....or a strip club operation just for eel."

How about a all you can eat Buffet? We need more of these!! ;-)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

This is one of those situations that could end very badly. There is so much B/S in the media right now from both sides I don't think anybody knows the whole story.

I do know the Iron County commission and Sheriff need to butt out. The BLM horse deal in Iron County and grazing issues in Nevada are totally different deals.

Everybody needs to breath through their noses until we know the facts.

Sadly I doubt that will happen. Somebody will get hurt & I bet it ain't a Bundy.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-14
>AT 06:59?PM (MST)

>
>"... If he can graze his
>commercial cattle operation on there
>at will than who can
>tell him he can't build
>a cabin there too? Or
>build a six flags for
>that matter...or start a strip
>mine operation....or a strip club
>operation just for eel."
>
>How about a all you can
>eat Buffet? We need more
>of these!! ;-)
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

I Thought you were on a Diet Uncle sage?:D

Remember:

Diet = Die with a t!:D

NVB!

I surely Ain't taking sides!

Just wondering why some LawBreakers can get away with way more than others!

I think bigbull has the Best idea!

Let's make our own land grab while the grabbing is good!:D

http://www.naturalnews.com/044654_Bundy_cattle_ranch_government_siege_militarized_police.html

supposedly this is for the sake of the desert turtle as well, that the cows are hindering now that right there makes me suspicious who is really behind this, and some cows have been herded and sold at market as well by the BLM, i've seen here in klamath falls Or. how water rights became uncertain for ranchers because of a sucker fish that happened to be a ceremonial matter to a local indian tribe...???????

According to the Review-Journal, some have responded to the call for help and are making their way to the Nevada ranch.

By late Wednesday, Ben Botkin and Henry Brean reported, three militia members -- two from Montana and one from Utah -- had made it to the ranch, while other groups have pledged to muster at the site to protect the family from federal tyranny.

Militia members say they are armed, but will not instigate conflict with authorities.

Ryan Payne, a member of the Montana-based West Mountain Rangers, said others are coming from all over the country.

?They all tell me they are in the process of mobilizing as we speak,? he said.
-------------------------------------------------------------

This has the potential to get ugly.

Eel

One thing everyone needs to understand is the fee or (AUM) the BLM and FS charge Bundy to graze his cattle on federal land amounts to welfare. Currently the fee is $1.35 per cow & calf per month.

If you wanted to lease pasture from Bundy the going rate would be more like $12.00 per AUM.

So basically Bundy is saying I'm not going to pay for my welfare.

That being said, most ranchers are fine with paying their fees. Disputes happen over grazing issues but generally the ranchers and BLM/FS are able to come to agreement on what's best for both parties.

Slick

Somebody's gonna get hurt before this is over with!

Didn't take much to Run them BLM Officials down the Road!

Looked as if they'd been told to keep their Mouth's shut?

This gonna be the next Ruby Ridge?

I Hope not!

>According to the Review-Journal, some have
>responded to the call for
>help and are making their
>way to the Nevada ranch.
>
>
>By late Wednesday, Ben Botkin and
>Henry Brean reported, three militia
>members -- two from Montana
>and one from Utah --
>had made it to the
>ranch, while other groups have
>pledged to muster at the
>site to protect the family
>from federal tyranny.
>
>Militia members say they are armed,
>but will not instigate conflict
>with authorities.
>
>Ryan Payne, a member of the
>Montana-based West Mountain Rangers, said
>others are coming from all
>over the country.
>
>?They all tell me they are
>in the process of mobilizing
>as we speak,? he said.
>
>-------------------------------------------------------------
>
>This has the potential to get
>ugly.
>
>Eel

Most of those militia groups are all talk and no substance. However, in answer to questions of why the cattle round up was accompanied by armed agents and snipers here you go.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>One thing everyone needs to understand
>is the fee or (AUM)
>the BLM and FS charge
>Bundy to graze his cattle
>on federal land amounts to
>welfare. Currently the fee is
>$1.35 per cow & calf
>per month.
>
>If you wanted to lease pasture
>from Bundy the going rate
>would be more like $12.00
>per AUM.
>
>So basically Bundy is saying I'm
>not going to pay for
>my welfare.
>
>That being said, most ranchers are
>fine with paying their fees.
>Disputes happen over grazing issues
>but generally the ranchers and
>BLM/FS are able to come
>to agreement on what's best
>for both parties.
>
>Slick
>
>"The Road goes on forever &
>the Party never Ends"

Hey Slick?

I'm askin you cuzz you're in the know?

What is a reasonable time frame to settle something like this?

The most offensive thing to me is the "First Amendment Area" that the BLM roped off and designated as such.

Eel

What is a reasonable time frame to settle something like this?

Don't misunderstand me Elkass. I'm really not taking sides on this.

It just bugs me that the whole thing is being used to stage a battle between the Feds & the tea party. That's bullsh!t,

Ell is right.. when main stream media gets a grip on this it has the potential to get away from us and people are going to get hurt.. not good.

Slick

>
>What is a reasonable time frame
>to settle something like this?
>
>
>Don't misunderstand me Elkass. I'm really
>not taking sides on this.
>
>
>It just bugs me that the
>whole thing is being used
>to stage a battle between
>the Feds & the tea
>party. That's bullsh!t,
>
>Ell is right.. when main stream
>media gets a grip on
>this it has the potential
>to get away from us
>and people are going to
>get hurt.. not good.
>
>Slick
>
>"The Road goes on forever &
>the Party never Ends"

I'm just curious/askin Slick!

If I decide to start Breakin the F'N Laws?

I'm just wondering how long I can Break them without getting My Ass in a Jam?

What's Fair for one Guy should be fair for the next Guy,Right?

>The most offensive thing to me
>is the "First Amendment Area"
>that the BLM roped off
>and designated as such.
>
>Eel

Clearly Eel, you posted this comment while outside of then designated first amendment area.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

So?

We have to have a Roped off area?

GEEZUS!

>
>So?
>
>We have to have a Roped
>off area?
>
>GEEZUS!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red
>Hot Barrel & My Dead
>Cold Hands I Shall go
>down Fighting for American Pride
>& Rights!
>I Know I'm Out Numbered by
>Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll
>Throw Their Hands in the
>air & I know I
>can't Lick the U.S. Military
>by Myself when they Turn
>on us but I'll make
>
>you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a
>Situation where I Hope to
>Hell All Americans become True
>Americans once again & Stand
>up for their Rights!

Yes and none of Kali is in the ropes. Well OK the bay area but that is it.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Bess, are you trying to make a point with your never ending question about how long it woukd take if you started breaking the law or are you just barking for courage?. Seriously dude. I guarantee no one in this thread KNOWS how long it would take or exactly WHY it has taken this long. But i bet it has something to do with some lawyers and a bunch of money. So theres your answer.

Sure hope that I do not draw a Deer tag this year down there, might have to fight my way out of there. Oh wait, I applied for north of Mesquite.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I feel he was in the wrong. This whole deal is really giving the honest ranchers a black eye in my opinion. We pay our fees and don't complain one bit. I know there is a lot of people on this site that are anti ranching. But I think this whole deal is taking the eyes off the bigger picture and that is honest people having their cows removed from the public lands because of the blm not handling their horse situation. I know of quite a few people around me that this has happened to. The blm said they have no money for gathers this year and no room, but they can come up with 3 million for this gather, makes no sense to me. The iron county thing was a good idea in my opinion, why not jump on the band wagon and get some horses managed that are out of control. Just my 2 cents on it.

>Sure hope that I do not
>draw a Deer tag this
>year down there, might have
>to fight my way out
>of there. Oh wait,
>I applied for north of
>Mesquite.
>
>
>Brian
>http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Christ Kilo at your age it's a battle to get from the bathroom to the bedroom. Go get 'um tiger.. many windmills to slay. LOL

Slick

Yeah, i am, 10 weeks now. That's why i think about food so often. lol

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>Bess, are you trying to make
>a point with your never
>ending question about how long
>it woukd take if you
>started breaking the law or
>are you just barking for
>courage?. Seriously dude. I guarantee
>no one in this thread
>KNOWS how long it would
>take or exactly WHY it
>has taken this long. But
>i bet it has something
>to do with some lawyers
>and a bunch of money.
>So theres your answer.

Not at all NVB!

What I'm asking is:

If the Bundy's have been breakin the Laws & Not Payin Up?

Why did the BLM let this Sshhiitt drag on for 2 decades?

And for the Guy that built the Pond in Wyoming NVB?

He didn't know He did anything Wrong!

But now the BLM wants to Fine him 65K a day!

You know any common workin Man that could pay 65K a Day?

Maybe the BLM will let it drag on for a few decades & the Guy will Owe the BLM enough to get them out of Debt?

All I'm sayin is:

We have Laws for a reason & they should be held up & Obeyed!

If it takes 20 GAWD-DAMNED years to settle something,who the Hell won that Battle?

As for the Bundy Situation!

I can't believe there won't be a bunch of Money Hungry Attorneys & Lawyers Jump in on this!

It'll only take a Mistake or two & the BLM will get their Asses Handed to them!

Surely not sayin it's Right cuzz it's not!

Just sayin!

My take on it is: The rancher should pay grazing fees set by Nevada and pay them to Nevada. I cant imagine why some people think that others hundreds or thousands of miles away, can oversee and make laws for anyone that aren't "pears". If the state makes the case that they don't have the man power to do anything about issues that come up, Then I guess it's not important enough to regulate. As for this case, I don't know who is right or wrong, I dont like to see the rancher raising cattle for free and making a profit on it. But I would also ask why the state has let it go on this long. I guess they both should be punished. The rancher for what he does and the state for allowing it. I do not like the idea of national policing, just for the fact that the "feds" are owned by some politition far far away.

R E: Bundy ranch

now you see what would happen if the states took over fed, ground, this guy is not a real rancher, and he is not a hero, he is nut that needs to go to jail.like any other crook,, and the local law enforcement should be right their with him. how much free beef did they get for doing nothing year after year. sounds like the good old boy club , is coming to an end., thank you blm, for doing your job.(better late than never.)real legal, hard working ranchers on public land don't need this kind of b. s.

RE: R E: Bundy ranch

nvbighorn, was that last part of the video taken at the bundy ranch, love your cousin night???

Somebody is gonna get hurt down there.

I 'specially like the guy with the TYranical government

http://www.ktvn.com/story/25226561/nevada-ranchers-fight-with-feds-reaches-boiling-point

That Damn Harry! Manny! It's not the oil! It's the sun!!!!

http://www.infowars.com/breaking-sen-harry-reid-behind-blm-land-grab-of-bundy-ranch/

You gotta just love Tom Collins

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/w...-manages-insult-utahns-comments-bundy-roundup

LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-14 AT 10:34PM (MST)[p]Interesting. Very interesting. Another Harry Reid land deal. The plot thickens.

Thanks for the link NVB

Eel

Maybe somebody should inform Piper about the possibility of good old Harry Reid selling off public land.

RELH

Damn Tortoises!

Maybe 440 can Chime/Join the Tortoise Huggers?

When I first read about this rancher, his name sounded familiar. Then I recalled an article I wrote in 2007 about a big Strip buck killed with an auction tag. Now...I'm not positive, but I would bet the Bundy Ranch that he's related to the family that originally settled in that area. Some of Utah guys likely can confirm.

So...with that in mind for those who don't know the Bundy history...here's an outtake from the article and the sidebar that went with it.

Copyright by Tony Mandile

.....................The hunter booked a charter flight into Las Vegas, where guide Clay Bundy picked him up and brought him into camp. They arrived at 4 a.m.

The Arizona Strip is a relatively narrow chunk of country that is isolated from the rest of the state by the Colorado River. From the river, the Strip goes north to the border of southern Utah, from east to west, it goes from the Lake Powell to the southeast corner of Nevada. Although the North Kaibab sits within this area, a reference to the Strip normally means the other three hunting units. The terrain in these units -- 12B, 13A and 13B -- consists of a mix of high desert, big canyons and the forested slopes of Mt. Trumbull, Mt. Emma and Mt. Logan, all of which rise more than 7,000 feet. They also contain areas as remote and wild as any in Arizona.

Among the world?s trophy hunters, it has a lofty reputation. Over a span of about 20 years, the Strip produced some of the best mule deer hunting in the West, and many of the bucks grew to record-book size. In fact, the trophy record book published by the Arizona Wildlife Federation still lists more than 30 typical and non-typical bucks from the Arizona Strip that were killed from the mid-1950s into the early 1980s.

The history of the Strip prior to the early 1900s is somewhat murky, however. We know the Mormons used timber from Mt. Trumbull to build a temple in St. George, Utah. We also know good populations of pronghorn antelope and desert bighorn sheep inhabited the Strip because local cattle baron Preston Nutter proposed that it be turned into a big-game refuge. Nothing ever came of it, though. And supposedly, Teddy Roosevelt brought a herd of gazelle from Africa and turned them loose somewhere on the Strip. Nobody knows what happened to them either.

Unlike the Kaibab, where the mule deer had been a mainstay back into the 19th century, the Strip herd has a much more recent history.

When the first settlers arrived and created Bundyville in the early 1900s, the area was nothing but dry sagebrush flats and pinyon-juniper forests, and about the only water available was on Mt. Trumbull. Some written accounts by those living on the Strip back then make it clear that seeing a deer was a rarity. For the most part, much of the land was marginal deer habitat anyway. The lack of water didn't help. As more ranchers began grazing their charges on the Strip, however, they built dozens of stock tanks to ensnare free-running water for the cattle and sheep.

In 1947, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service assigned Ted Riggs to the area as a predator control trapper. Using both traps and poison, Riggs made a serious dent in the coyote and lion populations. Then the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), which controls the majority of land on the Strip, moved in during the early 1950s to improve the grazing habitat. With a heavy steel chain stretched between them, bulldozers ?chained? down entire stands of juniper and pinyon trees. They used this clearing technique on acres and acres of range.

New forage plants started growing almost immediately, and so did the deer herd. Within a few years, the steady supply of water, increased browse and low predation helped the deer herd grow huge, even to the point where it threatened to overrun the available habitat. The Strip became a productive deer factory.

By the mid-1950s, hunters in Arizona learned about the excellent hunting and trophy-producing ability. Nearly anyone who wanted to venture into the remote area and endure hours of bumpy, dusty roads could tag a buck. If they had the patience and willpower to pass up the smaller ones, they had a very good chance at an outstanding trophy. Because the soil in the area mirrors the same mineral-rich type as that on the North Kaibab, antler growth was sometimes spectacular, with spreads often going well beyond 30 inches. Place names within the Strip such as Poverty Mountain, Mt. Dellenbaugh, Snap Point, Trumbull, Black Rock, Wolfhole and Seegmiller became well known for their big buck production.

At an old-line shack near Grassy Mountain, the graffiti-covered walls tell some of the story. In 1966, a local cowboy, Garn Esplin, scribbled, ?Saw 40-50 deer in the past two days.? Farther down the wall, in March 1963 ranch foreman Mel Wipple wrote, ?What's the matter with the deer hunters? There?s 10,000 deer here by the look of things.?

Even Riggs saw what was happening. In 1956, he rode his horse from the Wildcat Ranch to Snap Point. On the way, he counted deer; his one-day tally totaled 346 of them. More than half of them had antlers, and half of the bucks were four points or more.

Not surprisingly, three of the notable entries in the Arizona record book have Riggs listed as the hunter. His typical entry from 1968 scored 189. His two non-typicals scored 249 6/8 and 240 2/8. His last Strip deer, taken in 1988, was an 8x9 with double eyeguards.

Sadly, sometime in the late 1970s and early 1980s, the Strip no longer harbored a lot of deer. A lot of finger pointing occurred, but for the most part, the downward population trend happened because of several factors.

Worried about a repeat of the now infamous debacle where thousands of deer starved on the North Kaibab in the 1920s, the Arizona Game and Fish Department (AGFD) liberalized the seasons and also issued a large number of doe permits. Then in 1972, President Richard Nixon banned the canid poison, Compound 10-80 for use on federal land. This move took away Riggs? most effective predator control. About the same time the coyote population started to grow again, the AGFD gave the mountain lion the status of a big-game animal, thus creating the need for a special tag and an annual limit of one lion per hunter. Finally, the drought that has plagued the state for the last 12-15 years arrived.

Together, these factors resulted in a dramatic drop in the total deer population. The game department estimated the population of deer on the Strip was less than 5,000 during the 1970s, and by the 1990s, it had fallen to about 2,400 or less.

At one time, the Strip country west of the North Kaibab comprised a single hunt unit. After the deer numbers started to plummet, however, the game department split the unit into 13 A and 13B for management purposes. The split effectively separated the deer populations around the Mt. Trumbull-Mt. Logan area from those in the Virgin Mountain, Black Rocks and Mudd Mountain area........................

Sidebar:

The somewhat vague history of the Arizona Strip tells us the first white men to visit the area were Dominguez and Escalante when they traveled along the base of the Hurricane Cliffs on their return trip from central Utah in 1776. Nearly a century later, other Anglos attempted to take advantage of the area?s vast land resources, but conflicts with native tribes occurred as the newcomers quickly laid claim to the best water sources and vegetation. Disputes between settlers and the Navajo, Paiute and Ute tribes culminated in the Black Hawk Navajo Wars of 1866-1869. By 1870, Mormon paramilitary action had mostly quelled the native resistance, eventually leading to the "Treaty of Mount Trumbull" and the establishment of several Paiute reservations.

Although the settlers included a colorful array of ranchers, sheepmen, cowboys and outlaws, the majority of the newcomers were Mormons, dispatched by the Church of Latter Day Saints to lay claim to the choicest land and resources before non-Mormons settled them. A number of large ranches were established, as well as a sawmill and a large dairy, and the rights to limited water sources of the region were swiftly claimed, though often without "valid government title." Range wars -- often settled with guns -- were quite common in this lawless frontier, and cattle rustling was a crime with hanging as its punishment.

Immigration to the Strip was encouraged by two events in 1916: the Stock Raising Homestead Act and the opening of a half million acres of Utah?s Dixie National Forest to homestead entry. In addition, a climatic shift early in the 20th century brought increased rains and snows, which filled water holes and allowed the grasslands to grow lush.

About the time of the immigration surge to the Strip country, Abraham Bundy and his family had been living in the Mormon colony of Moroles, in the state of Sonora, Old Mexico. But Poncho Villa and the Mexican Revolution of 1912 forced them to seek out a gentler environment. So Abraham brought his wife, eldest son Roy and several daughters to Arizona in 1916, where they settled in an area near the Hurricane Cliffs, not too far from 8,000-ft. Mt. Trumbull. Bundyville, also known as Mt. Trumbull, became the Strip's largest community. Eventually, nearly 300 people lived in the town, which included a schoolhouse that was built in 1922. Roy Bundy just happens to be Clay Bundy?s grandfather, and Clay went to classes until the third grade in Bundyville?s tiny schoolhouse.

Today, little remains of Bundyville. The school had been abandoned in the early 1960s, then later restored. It recently burned, but it's demise as part of the Strip?s history won't last long. Clay Bundy is a contractor and has already made plans to restore it once again. He also still owns a cabin on a ranch near Bundyville. It sits on land that belonged to Roy Bundy until Clay?s father, Orvel, bought it.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Why let him run up a Such a large bill, Now cows are selling pretty high right, so a few hundred herd isn't chicken feed.

Seem like both sides are not being clear on what's all happening.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

"I would bet the Bundy Ranch that he's related to the family that originally settled in that area. Some of Utah guys likely can confirm."

Tony, It's the same bunch. They are a fairly prominent family in Southern Utah and yes they have been on the Az. strip forever. They seem like hard working good people for the most part but this Cliven is a lose cannon in my opinion.

From what I can tell he runs a multi million dollar cattle business and expects welfare because of his heritage. I bet there are more than a few native Americans in the area that would use the same argument.

Slick

On a recent ATV ride down in the country below the Whitney pockets we rode up on many old ranches/relics that looked like ghost towns. talking with folks down there, turns out Bundy had a lot of fellow permit holders/ranchers that had been forced out, in part because they complied with gov. mandates/permit reductions.

Special interest groups/environmentalists have been dictating management policies here out west with increasing impunity.

Bundy by many accounts sounds like a kook, nevertheless he has become a de-facto luminary in opposition to the absentee land management policies by those whose main concern is flat-out fear of all the lawsuits filed/funded by people living far removed from these lands.

One main problem is most ranchers/farmers don't have the disposable income needed to be in constant lawsuit mode. thus special interest groups and environmentalists dictate policy.

This is why I've been rooting for him, thanks for those who protested.

Interesting case, plenty of lies to sort through. Who owns the land? blm or NV

Who showed up with guns first?

Disputed payments??? Open an escrow acct instead of just not paying.

Turtles??? Most likely a means to an end.

Read the book Waco and watch the congressional inquiry based documentary film if you have any doubts who gets to write history. Hint- it aint the dead guys.

wake up .where do you think he gets that money, by not paying ,,,what he owes. ,bundy is playing you.

>wake up .where do you think
>he gets that money, by
>not paying ,,,what he owes.
> ,bundy is
>playing you.

Hey elkun!

He might be Playin you!

But He's been Playin you for a long time!

And might Play you some more!

>On a recent ATV ride down
>in the country below the
>Whitney pockets we rode up
>on many old ranches/relics that
>looked like ghost towns. talking
>with folks down there, turns
>out Bundy had a lot
>of fellow permit holders/ranchers that
>had been forced out, in
>part because they complied with
>gov. mandates/permit reductions.
>
>Special interest groups/environmentalists have been dictating
>management policies here out west
>with increasing impunity.
>
>Bundy by many accounts sounds like
>a kook, nevertheless he has
>become a de-facto luminary in
>opposition to the absentee land
>management policies by those whose
>main concern is flat-out fear
>of all the lawsuits filed/funded
>by people living far removed
>from these lands.
>
>One main problem is most ranchers/farmers
>don't have the disposable income
>needed to be in constant
>lawsuit mode. thus special interest
>groups and environmentalists dictate policy.
>
>
>This is why I've been rooting
>for him, thanks for those
>who protested.

Why don't you try some facts before you ride that high horse of your's.
Ever heard of a drought? No?
Ever heard of overgrazing? No?
ever heard of theift free grazing? No?
ever heard of not paying bills and having the collectors come get what you owe? No?
He doesn't own the BLM land, he doesn't dictate how many cattle he can graze, he owe's over 1 million in fee's since 1993 when he stopped paying.
Nevada doesn't own the BLM land, the federal government Does.
He has giving good honest ranchers a black eye by his holier than thou antics.
The Nevada Cattlemen's association won't even stand behind him and have stated they believe Bundy is wrong.
Their were NUTS out there, government haters, that only wanted a gun fight and had no interest in helping Bundy. Just looking for a fight. The protesters overstepped and should of been arrested. They were out of control.
Bundy is a whack job right along with the nuts with guns out there.

My family farms and raises Herfords/Black baldy's but they sure as hell don't free graze cattle on government land.

elkassassin, yes he has , thanks to the blm, local cops, state gov, and mislead people, that think this is about., . freedom or a way of life .I think he ought to run for president .hes got a better line of bull sizz,( or cow shizz) than the last two put to gather,,,

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom