Butt kicking in UT.....

W

WayCool

Well.. I took a real butt kicking up there boys !!! Couldn't catch jack... and my dogs can barely stand up...

Lots of bears... but I dont' have enough dog power for them apparently... Had a fantastic time though with Catmando, Catman, Morgan, Hunter, Brandon, Wayne and Gene..

Good food... and even better company... So THANKS to them !!!!

You boys have fun up there.. I'm sure you'll get 'em all caught so send pictures so I know what them UT bears look like !!!

Have fun !

PS... Most of the houndsman up there were pretty cool... others... well... if I never see them EVER again.. it won't bother me a bit :)

Steve Lithgow
http://www.waycoolkennels.com

WayCool,
Man sorry to hear you didn't do any good after I left. Your right though...lean-mean-Reebok wearing-machines they are. Yes I had a great time also. Met some nice fellas, and the food was great...Looking forward to the next time I see you all. Gonna sneak out this weekend and see if I can catch a crippled up ol bear with three legs...lol

Well Waycool, after the ass whooping you laid on the bear last season you were probably due for a string of bad luck.......catching bear with dogs is always a tough game and you were making it look easy. It seems, however, that every bear camp has its Jonah, a bringer of bad luck (normally me). But in your case I suspect it was catmando, he's the one jinxed his own hunt last year, not to mention his well known reputation as a tornado magnet! I can understand why it would be tough to catch a bear with him in camp. I think if you toss him over board next time and you luck will improve. :)

Another option you might try to improving your luck is to sacrifice a virgin to the bear gods. I realize, however, that this may be more difficult than it sounds, virgins are pretty scarce in that country ever since Dawg and Ed's bear camp there last year!

Still, it sounds like you boys had a good time :)

Hell dude,

I've been there before. I tried to make it down there but just couldn't swing it. I ended up catching a sow and two cubs on Saturday in a snowstorm.

We didn't even see the two cubs in the tree until about 45 minutes after we got there. But bear hunting is steak and potatoes one day, bread and water the next.

Yesterday we started a bear in the same country, almost in the same place, and got taken out of the country. We got schooled in a big way. Ran us from hell to breakfast and back. We thought we had 10 dogs in pretty good shape, but by the end of the day, we knew who was in good shape. It was the bear, not us!!

I've had many a good butt kicking in Utah and it's funny that you drive from NM to Utah to hunt bears, while I drive from Utah to NM to hunt bears. I guess the grass is always greener over the fence eh? ;-)

Feel free to use the HoundDawg battle cry, "Next time!!!"

-Dawg

Amen Dawg !!!

Glad you got one caught !! Them Colorado boys have been hammering on them up there... I just wonder if they catch as many as they say they do ;-)

It was pretty odd cutting bear tracks in 10" of new snow... :) fun too !! Heck I got home and it was 93 degrees !!!!! Talk about SHOCK !!

You boys have some aweful nice country up that way !! Good luck with em !!

Steve Lithgow
http://www.waycoolkennels.com

Amigo,

Just ignore those Colorado boys. What we call "running a bear" they call "catching a bear"... Here is a typical day with that Colorado camp. They go out and start a bear and spend the afternoon picking up their dogs. Same day as everybody else had. Then they go back to camp and talk about the bear they caught. Forget the fact that none of them stood under a tree, or saw a bear that day. The dogs surely must have had it bayed up all day and finally the heat and fatigue got to them so they gave it up. But it was a catch. The dogs most certainly saw the bear, afterall the lead dog has seen 50 bears (45 of them just like the hunt described above).

I know a guy that drew a tag last year and moved in with that Colorado camp. Told me he was shooting the first bear he saw. Funny thing is, they were stacking the bears up like firewood according to them, but somehow his tag remained unfilled. I can only figure the trees were just too thick for his bullet to penetrate and hit the monster boars they were treeing everyday.

It was a weird deal cuz those Co. boys just caught one after another and yet he could not get one bullet into a bears body and punch out that tag. Hard to figure... ;-)

Near as I can tell the only Colorado guy that catches bears is Van and the rest just talk about catching bears. :) But hell, Bluehair is from Co. so that tells you what kind of folks you are dealing with!!!

-Dawg

Hey, my lab treed a bear in my apple tree once. :) Wanna see a picture? ;-) I shot a bear once, but the only dogs along on that trip were back at the fire drinking wine in anticipation of out triumphant return. I might have got lucky that afternoon if I hadn't shot a baby. :-(

Colorado guys are just conditioned to lie to Utah houndoggers.:)

No offense to anyone, but the only langauage most of those Colorado boys know is the four letter ones that they hook together with and, if, but, or, etc. you get my drift. Even the old vilian "69" who is always just looking for dogs but is never hunting!!! I always look for dogs with three in the box and one on the front of the wheeler rigging. Ya right!!!! his ankle bracelet must not be functioning right.

Anyway, enough of the Colorado boys and the U.A.'s. We had a great camp and good company. Nothing like finding bear tracks in 6-10" of new snow. It was awesome, but not at all like running a lion. As Waycool stated we got our butts kicked two days straight.

The food was premier, camp was warm in spite of the snow. Wayne and Steve were wanting to dump on the lion tracks too, but we were chasing bear, chasing that is.

Wayne is a character. Just be careful though. If he says "HEY", pay attention to what comes next because he doesn't say it very loud, but his dogs understand the meaning.

Steve is just like his handle, WAYCOOL. He was great and my boy now thinks he is going bass fishing in NM.

Catman is a good guy also even if he did spend some time in Sanpete Co. He now lives close to one of my favorite mountain ranges.

Kevin may be right, I am the jynx, but I just couldn't stay away from such a good time. Maybe I'll go down to NM this fall and my luck will change. I would like to get a bear some day.;-)

It wasn't a bad butt kicking, at least we had a couple of races and saw alot of tracks and ate like Kings. If we pull another tag out of the hat we will have to do it again next year.

Maybe Kevin, Dawg, and Kattrax along with ole Ed could join us and we would then have a camp big enough to rival the Colorado boys and the dreaded U.A.'s.

I am still wondering though........ Five trucks loaded with bear dogs rigging a track like mad and not one of these great all mighty bear hunters would dump a single dog!!!!

Stan, Dawg and the rest of the boys there that day must have really thought I was a under cover fish cop. I couldn't believe it. I stood there in amasement and thought to myself, "And this is bear hunting, and these guys are bear hunters????"

Catmandoooo, putting the under in wear!!!!!

CatMenReallyDo,
Yeah, just what we need, is that bunch you just listed all in one place at the same time. Talk about EGO Overload. That would be about the only way you could have LESS of a chance of seeing a bear. We'd have wanna be dogs taking good ones across the river and into Colorado. We'd be picking em up in Monticello and Breckenridge for days.

It would be an amazing time around the old campfire. World class liars everywhere you looked. Probably be an outstanding warrant or two in that crowd also. In the not too distant future, some of the names you dropped, CatManDuh will be replacing the Van Johnsons of today. Legends, Hall of Famers like Ed, Kevin, Dawg and TooCoolForWords Steve. By the time that bear camp was over, there would be that funny yellow tape around the camp perimeter and body outlines painted on the LaSal dirt. A few years in a row like that and they would have no choice but to erect a monument. The whole idea kinda scares me to tell you the truth.

It sounds like Bears 2003 has had a pretty good beginning so far. That sure is a good looking little bear you got up a tree Ed. Your compadre in the suspenders looks like the kind of guy that could still teach us a thing or two. Some of them old school guys have learned a lesson the hard way. A pup can't go too wrong following the wise old school dogs. Keep the stories coming. It's almost as good as being there. Maybe next time. Good Luck to you ALL!

TooManyBearTraxx

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom