BUYING M&S PREF PTS?

Horniac

Very Active Member
BUYING M&S PREF PTS?

With the preference point deadline this Thursday 10/31 what MM NR?s are continuing to pay the $153.75 per preference point this year for moose and sheep?

I was fortunate to get into the system fairly early so I was able to draw out by 2016. Not the same for my son however. I have bought him points since he was old enough to apply and I just bought him his 15th point for each. I was seriously considering bailing on his points this year as I figure I still have to buy another 50 years plus of points before he would be in the running for a preference point tag assuming NR quotas remain the same, higher point holders don't drop out, or the system itself isn't changed. That's over $7,500 more in points per species before he would theoretically be in the hunt for a tag at the current preference point cost.

Just curious what other NR?s are doing...

Horniac

RE: BUYING M&S PREF PTS?

I'm not in the sheep pts game. I did have moose points, and was at 11 and this was the last year I was putting in and my plan was to bail. Then I drew a moose random tag. That will likely be my last run at WY moose. None the less, if you can hunt moose in AK or NF etc for an equitable amount then maybe that is a better option.

Yeah, its a bummer especially for the kids. When I started the points were 7 bucks! My 30 year old son has 14 for each and bailed out this year. Im not so smart, at 60 years old, and with 17 for each im in for another year. Crazy to watch the moose permit #s drop about half the last dozen years.

42 years old and just bought #19 for sheep and moose. Really wish I had one more of each as I got in the 2nd year of the cheaper $7 points. They have me exactly where they want me, that's for sure. Can't get out now, but it is going to cost a lot of $ and time to get the better units out there. Hopefully will be hunting in 5 or so years, maybe 10 for sheep depending on how things shake out.

What I don't understand is why you can't apply for a random tag and not pay the point fee, that would be better for the younger crowd as it doesn't make sense for them to start now at these prices...just charge them $25 or something like that to apply.

nripepi, I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you. The Wyo Game and fish could not care less about being fair.
It's all about the $$$$

LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-19 AT 03:24PM (MST)[p]>42 years old and just bought
>#19 for sheep and moose.
> Really wish I had
>one more of each as
>I got in the 2nd
>year of the cheaper $7
>points. They have me
>exactly where they want me,
>that's for sure. Can't
>get out now, but it
>is going to cost a
>lot of $ and time
>to get the better units
>out there. Hopefully will
>be hunting in 5 or
>so years, maybe 10 for
>sheep depending on how things
>shake out.
>
>What I don't understand is why
>you can't apply for a
>random tag and not pay
>the point fee, that would
>be better for the younger
>crowd as it doesn't make
>sense for them to start
>now at these prices...just charge
>them $25 or something like
>that to apply.

I agree with you on people being allowed to apply in the random without paying for a point.

But, it would crater odds for those applying now.

Also, max is 24 points for moose and sheep, so you missed 5 years of $7 points and have squarely put yourself in a tough spot.

With 19 going in next year, you may have a chance at drawing unit 1 for sheep. Realistically, you're probably 4-5 years out for a couple other units, best case. Thing is, you never know how people with more points are going to apply. Some just buy points and don't apply.

Moose with 19 points you have plenty of options...I wouldn't wait.

The thing to keep in mind is that WY issues wayyyy less moose and sheep tags now than they did in the mid 1970's. IIRC, in 1976 they issued 380 sheep tags and just over 2000 moose tags. In 2019, around 180 sheep tags and not even 400 moose permits.

Sitting on points and waiting is probably not a good strategy.

Because of the steep decline in moose and sheep permits, there is going to be another push to legislatively reduce the NR allocation for both down to 10% from 20%(moose) and 25%(sheep).

Points are for burning...ASAP.

I agree with Buzz. All it takes is for the sheep or moose tags to get knocked down to 10% and non-residents will loose 60% + of their permits. Many units only have 5 tags and one goes to a non-res. None of those units would give any tags to a non-res under the a 10% allocation. I burned my moose points a few years ago on a "lesser" unit and had a fun hunt.

Buzz,

Thanks for the advice on moose and burning them, I have been debating on holding out for a permit in the bighorns versus going to the western side of the state where I can likely draw a number of units and I could have drawn the same ones over the past five years. I know things are not good now on moose permits and things could get worse and I haven't heard as great of things about the Bighorns moose as I did 5 years or more back. I am close to cashing them in and would take anyone's advice on potential units via PM or other.

On the $7 points, the first 5 years those were not available, I believe you had to front the full price of the license and apply for a tag in order to get a preference point. I know I missed the $7 point by one year as there is a huge bump of the #of people with points at one more than I have:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/TOTAL_PREF_POINTS_MS.pdf

Last year for Moose:

People with 20 points: 76
with 19 points: 350
me and others with 18 = 365

and for Sheep:

People with 20 points: 34
with 19 points: 239
me and others with 18 = 390

If I had one more point it would put me in much better position for both tags, but it is what it is. I understand I have time invested, but only $7 per point for the majority of the points, but the $150 per point cost now is pretty steep especially for those just starting out. Demand is high so not much you can do!

I'm out also out for moose
Have 14 points
When I started, it seems like a nr could draw with 6-7 points
Now I'm still way behind

What else are you going to spend that $153 on? Most likely something stupid just like the rest of us. Its not like its a choice between a PP or feeding your family or a PP or putting that into my 401(k). If it is a choice between those then you are a fool for even considering buying a PP.

For most all of us it's should I buy a PP with this money or spend it over the year on shitty food, beer and cheap women. Easy choice for me regardless of the state or cost of points.

Do you think Wyoming would tell me the age of those with a certain amount of preference points? This would be very useful data to have when deciding on to cash out or stay in hoping for a better unit.

Maybe 42 years old is young for someone who has 19 points? I really have no idea.

I bailed on my sheep points but I still buy my moose point. I have 13. My buddy has 19 and is holding out for a top unit. We both retire in a few years. I hope to get a cow tag when he does his bull hunt.

I am another NR with 19 sheep points, and one that has been buying points only and not applying that entire time. At 48 I am planning to cash these in in my early to mid 50s and hope at that point I still think it was worth the wait. This whole points game has been a major investment over the past 2 decades as I've accumulated 19-20 points for many species in many states. When I started the process I honestly didn't envision a lifetime commitment but that's how it feels!

I have 19 NR points too for sheep and I'm hoping to cash them in too in the next 5 years. The only issue is if everyone in our pool is thinking the same thing then you and I will be too old to sheep hunt by the time we draw. It's a gamble for sure, but I have to see it through to the end.

I'm quitting with 12 points , at 66 years old it doesn't make sense to keep spending that , I'll take my chances at a few raffle tickets.

I did for moose. I figure I can afford expensive points because I like cheap beer. :)

Buzz hit the nail on the head when he said "sitting on points isn't a good strategy". As a matter of fact, sitting on points in the res v nr climate, in any and every State, is folly to say the least.

I utilized my Wyoming moose and sheep points at the very earliest point possible. Premier units? I dunno, the hunting felt pretty damn premier to me on both hunts.

Hunt as soon as you can and don't worry as much about inches of horn or antler.

Zeke

#livelikezac

I am way behind you guys with 9 points, but I'm still in it, not sure I will ever draw but figure I will keep trying the random draw in the meantime and hoping to get lucky someday. I dont plan on holding out for a premier unit, just want the chance.

It does worry me a bit about the possible reduction of tags for NRs, but there is not much I can do about it.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom