C Zone Changes

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Looks like the rumor i heard is true, the C zones tag is now going to be treated like an X or special zone hunt. They said the best way to draw this tag is to put in for it with your first choice application. Yea Right! Like i'm going to burn 3 or 4 points to hunt C zones. Wouldn't be so bad if i didn't live and work right in the middle of it. If i want to hunt muleys and put in for that on my first choice app, failing those odds means i can't even hunt on this side of the N. State.

I usually give F & G credit but i don't like this change at all. I'm not looking for sympathy on this. Just wondering who else might be effected like i'm being.

Joey

sorry to here that pimpdaddy "sage"...that may happend to some "D" zones soon also I suspect.
Rackmaster

Pimpdaddy? lol

Yeah i read that too but it's been years since i hunted the D zones. I almost always go down the hill and cross the road to hunt the B zones when i didn't draw X and wanted variety from lowly C zones. There are guys that hunt private and some that have a particular area down in C that do pretty well. Archery season is decent but in this area 90% of the deer are gone, down to the refuge by the rifle opener. It's definitely not worth a first choice app IMO, no way.

Looks to me that this is really going to put more pressure on the B zones. Guys like me that don't draw a X tag are going to be forced to "cross the road", I-5, and hunt Blacktails proper. That itself is not a bad thing. It just means more cost associated with hunting as the extra fuel and preparedness needed for that kind of trip costs more money. C zones are ok i guess for the guys like me who live here. I just can't see people wanting to hunt here and It now being a limited Entry, that there is some kind of sick joke!

Joey

Joey, I dont follow the C zones, but I can tell you this.....if they sell out every year...you can bet dfg is gonna make it a draw. I have the same problem in my fav D zone......4-5 years ago, I could get a 2nd tag and now they have been selling out before the second deadline. OTC deer tags are my yearly salvation.....There is'nt much to keep me in Ca after they take that away :)

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Hey Joey. Wow! Thats really bad news about the C zone. Looks like we might be fishing more now. Just cant imagine this area a draw zone.

C zone will never be 1st round fill!~
unless they cut hunters in half...

Rackmaster

Hardway, Thanks! I think i've made my last big move. If not for a big family in the East bay, i'd a gotten outa Calif Years ago.

Whiskycreek, You know i love to fish but you also know how much i love to hunt deer. My idea of a great hunting trip has a few freshly caught stream brook trout added into the dinner menu. Yeah man!! This sucks bud!

Rack, i believe you when you say that...or i want to anyway. It supposedly filled on the second round last year. That's what it is, a decent second choice area. Either get your X-zone tag or fall back to face hunting the lowly C zone. Don't think this change will help matters. I know a bunch of guys that put C as their second/backup choice, many did not draw it. :-(

Joey

Yeah bud! you and a bunch of other guys.

Maybe this won't be so bad. As Rack mentioned, I just can't see over 7000 hunters putting for C as their first choice hunt either. There are a good bunch of people that live in the zone though and some close by that just want to get out and hunt. Heck, i'm one of them. Still i'm always going to want to have an opportunity of getting a better quality buck so i'll be like most, i think, and put in for X-? #1 and takes me chances of a C tag as backup.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-09 AT 12:05PM (MST)[p]if we work hard enough to post some Big Buck pictures from Utah on forums saying that they harvested from C zone ...I bet we can Fill it as 1st!
example;
my 2001 MOUNTIAN HOG!!(C3)
49e2295a7c4511be.jpg

or
MY 07 C4 MEAT BUCK!!
49e22a2f03adc90e.jpg

and last years DINK!
(if you look closely you can see the others taken from resent years in "C ZONE")
49e22aa804d82f7a.jpg

ALSO GOOD WATERFOWL HUNTING

49e22af7062e45e3.jpg

AND FISHING..
49e22b9e079cb121.jpg

WORLD CLASS!
see the power of the internet! it can work!
I am going over to JESSIE'S now!

RACKMASTER

what i usually do is put in for a X zone and then a C as my backup,,,, this allows me to possibly get lucky on a X zone or build up points as i hunt C's if i have to use my first choice just to get a C then that means i cant EVER build up any points for X's anymore ,,,, i think this sucks

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-09 AT 02:00PM (MST)[p]"PD" in the first box, and C in the second. From what has been said earlier C never fills up right away? Might work.

Edit: I dont think you can put a premium tag as your 2nd choice?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

you can put premium tags as 2nd choice you just hardly ever draw one that way only sucky zones maybe like X-10 and thats a big maybe, if you draw a premium zone with a sec choice you keep your points,,,, in the old days most guys would wait till c's were over the counter (july 2 or aug 1) and just get them that way i've drawn a c tag every single time i've tried as my second choice and i like hunting there as well for me it screws me up because i cant get a C as my sec choice (maybe?) and still be able to accrue x zone points,,,, C as first choice= a tag for sure with this new system, C as a sec choice like i've been doing for quite awhile = maybe maybe not? to me it looks like i just lost the freedom of hunting the c zones while accruing points for the x zones ,,,, maybe i'll move back over to the B's again ,,,,, maybe it wont sell out one year and it'll go back to the old system ,,,,, maybe we're going to one zone period ,,,,, who knows? its just a little whittle here and a little whittle there it seems like

Hey Sage, your right it will put more people in the B-zones. Something needs to be done in the C-zones as they are not what they use to be. I dont have much faith in our fish and game dept, hopefully its about management and not dollars? BH1

Yeah buddy, I'm not going to give up putting in for an X zone. I'll put in for C zone as second choice, if that's kosher w/the rules, cause i live here and at least it's a hunt if i don''t pull a X tag. Then after the draw when i find out i drew zip, i go down the hill and over the big road and hunt the B's. I can see a lot of us North Eastern guys doing just that same thing. Who knows, maybe the B zone will become a Draw someday :)

"Something needs to be done in the C-zones as they are not what they use to be." I agree!

If we/they got rid of about half the Mountain Lions that currently make their living off the resident deer herd, that would be a real good start to the program!! The DFG has their head in the sand over the issue. There were a bunch of DFG headed meetings a couple years ago where they fed us a well organized "loss of habitat" cool-aid that only a few lambs chose to drink.

LIONS LIONS LIONS, everybody is seeing them when it is supposed to be very rare to see even one in the wild. These cats are mostly nice and fat. huh? I've beat my head over this issue, not giving up, just plain tired of some wanting to save the lions in favor over the deer's demise.

Joey

C-Zone update! I got a phone call today, one of those a friend of a friend deals, on good inside info that The F&G is not going to make changes, like those discussed above, toward the C zone this year. We will soon find out for real soon enough as the booklets will be out in a week or there abouts.

Good luck on your draws this season guys!!
Joey

Getting confusing,I called the Redding office of Fish and Game and the lady told me it was not a draw zone, and that opening was the third week in Sept. Have to wonder if the lady was really informed correctly.

Mallards, "If you draw it, you lose your point?" Even as a second choice??

Last year I put "C" in as my second choice (I think) and I got a refund. I was pretty busy last year so I may not have, can't remember but i know I got a refund cause the check is still in my truck.

That's been my usual method and have taken a number of small migrating bucks outta there.

You only lose your points if you draw it as your first choice. Therefore, it is my understanding that you can still put it down as your backup unit and not lose your points.

I have heard that c & the 2 d zones were proposed changes. they were not approved by the dfg. what I am hearing is ignore online booklet. good luck guys.

Sage, I just talked to a guy that bought c-zone tags over the counter. So I guess you can hunt from youre front porch after all. LOL. Gerry

W Creek, How'd you come by that handle anyways? Sounds like a place that would be hard to get any hunting done. lol

My Regs came in the mail today but haven't had time to go thru them yet. I'm going to be silly and ask another question of you guys.

W.Crk above said;
"Sage, I just talked to a guy that bought c-zone tags over the counter. So I guess you can hunt from your front porch after all. LOL. Gerry"

"bought c-zone tag over the counter"?? Used to be you could get a "c" tag with your second tag. If a guy can buy them over the counter, can he buy one now with his second tag and leave his first tag application for an X zone draw?

Be interested to see how many different answers we get on this one :)

Joey

Too much whiskey......there are no "over the counter" deer tags in this state.

He may have bought a first and second deer tag application..........This is going to be an interesting season, as it unfolds, regarding C tags.

Joey...if they handle C like D zones then no. C & D zones are quota zones and can only be purchased with a second deer tag after the second drawing.... august 1st or so. If its a first deer tag app then they are otc.

Hardway and the rest, seems there is issue with the booklet and what was actually approved by F& G. in recent sessions.

see posts 18 and 22 above, "ignore the booklet."

I'm sure everybody means well yet we're hearing two completely different versions.

There really needs to be clarification on this. At least there is plenty of time to find out for sure, one way or the other.

Opinions are welcome, facts, not just what's in the booklet, are needed! :)

Anybody out there connected with the F&Game, who can put this to bed, please chime in!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON May-01-09 AT 05:31PM (MST)[p]Joey, I was under the impresion that everything concerning the "C" zones was NOT going to change as of the april 21st meeting, and the booklet was false info???? If nothing has changed my last post is true.

Edit....Update, I called the license and revenue branch in sac just a few minutes ago. Lady said everything in the C zones will remain the same as last year.

LAST EDITED ON May-01-09 AT 05:48PM (MST)[p]Alright Joey, here goes...A & B tags are issued upon reguest with either a 1st or 2nd deer tag app. C & D zones are only issued upon request (otc) with a 1st deer tag app. If you put C OR a D zone on your second app you must wait untill the second deadline which is usually around aug 1st. Then they will be awarded first to whoever has a pending 2nd deer tag app and then as requested (otc). If there are less tags left than 2nd deer tag applicants then they hold a drawing for these tags, this is how d6 has been the last 3 years or so. The lady at F&G confirmed This is also the way the C zones work. Same as last year.

p.s.....the only things that changed this year is the name change on Archery only tags, and the Bear hunts will run the entire season length. I forgot to ask about the junior hunting license deal so maybe someone else can clear that one up.

Hardway said; "Lady said everything in the C zones will remain the same as last year."

So, Not doubting you or your info, in fact from the info received from other above credible sources i'm inclined to agree, THE BOOKLET IS WRONG???

That's going to be a tuff sell among some here and all those that highly regard the "booklet" as in, "this is the way it is cause that's what the booklet says!"

Here's one scenario my neighbor is in a quandary over; He has several pref points for deer. He wants to hunt a Northern C zone this year while scouting a area for elk should he ever get drawn for that tag, even to the point of not putting for an X zone, yet he doesn't want to burn his points to do so. So, if he applies for a C zone first choice, he gets it, easy, but burns his points. If he applies for tuff to draw area first, and C zone second choice, he stands to maybe not get drawn for C. I see no way around this, does anybody??

More info welcome! ...and Hardway, Thanks Guy!!

Joey

I think your looking at it the right way joey..at least the way i'm reading it.It sucks to burn points to get a c-tag, but its a choice that more than a few are going to have to make!! looks like the big green zone is going to get some more pressure.
mike

call Sacramento LRB and ask for Glenn Underwood 1-916-928-5841
HE WILL CALL YOU BACK!!

49f290a211ec7780.jpg

Rackmaster

LAST EDITED ON May-01-09 AT 07:55PM (MST)[p].

Hardway said; "You will either draw the premium tag and loose points, or you will earn a point and then be awarded your second choice (C)."

...and i'll add, "if" there are C zone tags still available.

In recent years, not everyone that has put in for C as a second choice , has drawn it. I did last year but i believe as many did not, as did.

Joey

The booklet is the "proposed" regulations and hunt data.

The "proposal" to change the zone classifications was not approved this year, by the Commission at it's April 21st meeting, but will "probably be implemented" for 2010.

Bottom line for now, ignore the "proposed" changes and proceed as you have in the past. You can go on the DFG website and read it for yourselves, if you wish.

My suggestion, based on data from last year, you cannot, in any way, count on getting a C tag as your 2nd choice. It filled too soon last year and that is the reasoning for the "proposed" changes.

Now, there is going to be so many people messed up on this problem, it ain't going to be funny!...."It says so in the booklet"

This isn't the first time DFG has confused the issue. I don't understand why that meeting could not have been held on January 21st, it ain't like they don't have all the data.

One year, maybe 5 years ago, they had an elk hunt listed in the booklet and hundreds of people sent in their app........and the DFG ultimately did not approve the hunt.

Of course, by the time the correct info was issued, it was too late for those hunters to reapply.

We have a crew in Sacramento using the most antiquaited system in America.

Thanks Nickman! That's how i and several others have been reading into this situation as well. DISREGARD THE BOOKLET, at least when it comes to the C-zone.

As far as not being sure of getting a tag by other means than a first choice application, i'm OK with that. For years there were way too many tags given out, more than were ever bought, here for the crummy hunting to be had in this zone. Something needed to be done. The zone could simply not support everyone that wanted to hunt here after failing to get a preferred tag. I'd go so far as to support lowering the tag allotment even further. Not sure if that or these measures are going to increase the quantity and quality of deer taken but as it is, with no improvement in sight and a serious predator problem, IMO, something needs to be done as it's now not a very good zone, at all.

If i didn't live here, i wouldn't much be interested hunting for deer here. 20-30-40 years ago, that was another deer herd altogether. This area supported tons of deer and very good hunting with some relatively nice bucks to be had.

Good luck guys!! Joey

What elk hunt was listed in the booklet that had no tags? I know a couple years ago the Owens Valley Archery Only tags were proposed to be changed to limit the zones that would be open. But it ultimately did not happen but was listed in the digest that way.

Just curious

they're doing that cause there ain't no more deer left on the west coast and don't wanna admitt it....

well i just picked up my C tag over the counter today, there still around 4500 tags left i went ahead and did that instead of trying to pick one up as my second choice,,,,, will be interesting to see how many are left after june 2nd ,,,, since i drew x-9 last year i'm out of points and no points this year either since i just bught the C tag

Tylercreek, Thanks for the info!!!

Did you ask if you could get a C "over the counter" with a second tap app? I'm hoping that they aren't allowing that as there would be few C-zone second choice draw tags left for guys like me who went X-? first choice.

My understanding is that you can't buy a C zone tag with your second deer tag app. either over the counter or if you send it in, until after the draw, but what others have thought and also what's in the book have both already proved to be misleading so thought i'd ask.

Wouldn't it be nice to do all this tag stuff, buying, choice, and paying, all on the puter? :) Kali DFG is in the frigging stone age!!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON May-23-09 AT 00:37AM (MST)[p]The most important change to the California hunting regulations this year is the reclassification of several deer hunts. Deer hunts are now classified based on the date the tag quota was met the previous license year. As a result, several deer hunts have been reclassified as ?unrestricted,? meaning tags can be purchased immediately with a Second Deer Tag Application. These zones include 13 ?D? zone hunts and six archery-only hunts.

?These hunts typically do not sell out,? said Maria Melchiorre of the DFG License and Revenue Branch. ?The regulation change will allow hunters to purchase tags over the counter without having to wait until August for the tag.?

Hunters should also be aware that two proposed regulation changes described in the 2009 California Hunting Digest Big Game book were not adopted by the Fish and Game Commission, following publication of the book:

>>Zones C, D12, and D17 are notable exceptions to the new deer hunting regulations. There will be no change in the way these three zones are classified in 2009. Hunters may still purchase these tags over the counter using a First Deer Tag Application.

4a03d572639d0132.jpg

Rackmaster

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom