Cache Deer Herd

grizzly

Long Time Member
I don't know if you guys are familiar with the canal project some yahoos are trying to push through, but I think it could really hurt the Cache deer herd.

Basically they are trying to spend $25 Million taxpayer dollars to pipe the canal on the east bench from Logan Canyon northward (which will only benefit the shareholders). There are hundreds of deer on the face in that section and that canal is where they go to water. If that water is piped, I don't know where the deer will go.

I have sent letters to local officials with my concerns, but anybody else who feels that way should contact city/county officials as well.

Grizzly

That bites. I have not heard this news before now. The herd suffered a bad winter this year though. I need to research more on the subject.

Last I heard they weren't going to put it in, just for the cost of it. I did hear they were going to bypass some of the canal down to a lower section, but not pipe the whole thing.

maybe I'm wrong though?

The study is posted on Logan's website. It looks like they are still going to pipe the whole thing.

Grizzly

Have you heard of any organizations that are opposing this project, and what their reasons might be? This is the first time I've heard of this myself. The EIS is a tough read but will try to get through it by this weekend. Initial glances verified what you mentioned about the wildlife losing this canal as a water source, and that sure doesn't sound very beneficial.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-11 AT 02:07PM (MST)[p]The most vocal opponents are "tea-party" type folks opposing the spending. I know of nobody opposing it due to wildlife concerns. The wife of the Mayor of North Logan is leading the opposition (Watkins?).

I would like to see MDF or SFW involved.

Grizzly

There are not hundreds of deer in the entire unit anymore. Sad how bad the deer herd population is at this point.

With the location of the canal being right at the edge of a residential area in most spots I think it should be piped but that is just my two cents.

The Deer can water in almost any canyon along the face from Logan to preston. There is a lot of water and some sportmans group have put in guzzlers along the face. At least there is one in Smithfield Dry canyon put in by SFW local members.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom