Cactus Buck Deer on Paunsaugunt

OwnMoreBone

Looking for information on the Castus Bucks on the Paunsaugunt Unit, I drew a rifle deer tag there in 1998 and killed a nice buck. I have enough points to draw a tag for that hunt but just wondering if it would be worth burning my points for. If anyone has picture that would be great..thanks in advance...

OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potato's and gravy.

David Virostko at NRO, or Ryan Hatch would be my first calls. Those 2 probably have forgotten more info than you'd get here.

I had a friend draw it in 2018 and helped him out. I've also spent a fair amount of time on the Winter range. You can kill a deer but don't expect to kill a giant freak buck. Those big deer don't get passed up by the other hunters who have already hunted it that year. Most of what you will see will be biggish 2 points with goofy bases or even 20" spikes with goofy bases.If you just want the opportunity to kill something weird then go for it. If you go in thinking you will kill something giant a freaky your likely to be disappointed. Not saying its not possible but I am being realistic.

I just got off that hunt helping a friend a few weeks ago, hunted 5 days and saw 6 cactus bucks.

Although there are 1 or 2 "good" bucks taken, it is very unlikely you will find one worth taking.
They stay in the alfalfa and winter wheat fields in and around town all winter and do not migrate along with the masses.
Some of the landowners will give you permission to hunt for those particular deer, but not all.

Personally I would not do this hunt. I would hold out for the management buck tag and avoid the sh!t show of multiple people trying to hunt 1 or 2 of those junk bucks and the multiple vehicles that will pull over just to watch you.

79582screenshot20191204182541gallery.jpg

Thanks gentlemen that's what I was wondering, I will try for another hunt in different unit.

OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potato's and gravy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom