Caldera Cow hunt

arzdave

One of my hunting buddy's daughter drew a cow tag on the Caldera. Neither of us has had the experience of hunting the Caldera. There is 1 scout day, but probably not enough to give us much insight. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd like to give this young lady the experience of her life. Thanks in advance.

I was on the Caldera this weekend for the veterans cow hunt, very few animals seen. I knew 3 of the 20 had harvested as of Sunday and possibly a few more but the majority of the hunters I talked to had not seen much. The Park Service has closed most of the roads which makes access challenging for some of the youth, MI and veterans. I took a couple of the gentleman horseback into an area I have seen good elk numbers on previous hunts ( earlier bow and rifle hunts) and while we saw some tracks and sign we didn't see a cow elk in 6 hours of riding. Certainly not complaining, we all enjoyed being horseback in the Caldera but it was a very challenging hunt.

Cow hunt on the Caldera can be real tough for lots of reasons. They clear the meadows before daylight mostly. Might be doing some serious hiking for a cow.

Good Luck on your hunt. Get up high early if you can. They will be heading to bed early. I had a cow hunt & bull hunt. The cow hunt was MUCH tougher.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom