Caliber for Oryx

huntswnm

OK, did the whole search thing but could not find an answer for my question. My wife drew a on the range badge hunt for next year. The only rifles I have are a .308 and a 30-06. Has anyone ever used these calibers, and will they work? If so what loads do you recommend? I did read where a few guys used .270's just fine, so I am thinking that these should be more than enough gun.
Thanks,
Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

You have plenty of firepower.

horsepoop.gif

LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-07 AT 09:05PM (MST)[p]I have taken gemsbok in Africa with a 30..06.I use Fail safe 180 grain black talons.I have never had a problem.With that said,thats shooting out to 300 yards at most...You may be shooting farther on a range hunt... I dont know...

Hey guys,
Thanks for the quick response. That is kind of what I figured. I know as well that the vitals are further up in the cavity than native game here, so shot placement is a little more forward. Thanks again,
Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

my wife shot her oryx with 30.06 with 165 grain...2 shot over 200 yds...37" cow..

it is fine caliber!! good luck!

vinihunt

Hey Vini,
Thanks. We are just waiting for the paper work so we can find out which range she is going to be on. Again, thanks for the info.
Jeff

My partner shot a big ole bull at 220 yards with my '06. Hornady light magnum, 180 grns. It was a perfect shot. Went through the shoulder and into the heart but did not exit(the heart).

It clearly did a good job but I would advise caution:

Don't take a marginal shot. I don't think it has the energy to traverse laterally.

Mark the area your animal is standing when you shoot real well. Their hides are thick and act like a dang conveyor belt cause they seal up right behind the bullet. My partners did not drop any blood on the ground. I think it would be easy to hit one and think you missed.

The best advice I have heard is to shoot the biggest gun you can comfortably shoot and place the shot well. '06 is a great ole gun. I use a 300 WBY with failsafes. Get holes on both sides and that will enusre a blood trail.

I have another partner that used a .270. He said it worked but the animal soaked up some rounds before going down. He thought he was missing. The earlier advice on a premium bullet is wise.

Dont shoot for the neck. They are croooked.

You are going to have a great time! Good luck

Hey Jeff, The two calibers that you own will work just fine.I have hunted a lot of oryx and beleave me it not the size of the gun its shot placement.Remember to shoot through the front shoulder not behind it like on deer or elk.My wife just killed a 34" cow with a 30-30 and if you send me your email I will send you some pics and show you what a 30-30 can do.

Hope this helps
Rob Dunlap
[email protected]

Killed mine with a 300 wthby. Remember to shoot LOWWWWWWW. I wounded one that we never got. Hit it 2/3 of the way up the shoulder and the thing ran 2 miles ( by gps) in two inches of snow. Bleed all the way. When we caught up to it it was over 500 yards away. Acting like nothing was wrong. Another group came along and they were looking at the bull. They had done the hunt numerous times. The guy looked at me and said we would never get that bull as I hit it to high. Tried one more long shot at the bull and missed. Never did find it. Next shot I took at an animal I held low so that I would break the leg bones. Not shoulder but leg bones. Hit her right were I was aiming broke both front leg bones and she still made it about 50 yards. Though she was plowing mud in her horns. When I dressed her I shot all the parts off the top of the heart. Vitals are really low and forward. Break them down and then finish if you have to. I would think 06 with real good solid bullets that will penetrate bone would work just fine. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for all the info guys. I have a good friend who is a taxidermist in T or C who has killed a few and so I knew that you have to punch through that front shoulder to get to the goodies. Thanks again,
Jeff

Use a good bullet. maybe invest in a barnes TSX or something that will stay together well in case you hit a shoulder.
When Me and my buddy were skinning his we found a Mystery bullet. about 2 inches under the skin here was a mushroom bullet from a .270 in the shoulder. No clue as to how it penetrated so little. Maybe a super long shot, or a dud of a reload?? no clue but it was really wierd.
Very tough animals, remember to aim forward a little of normal to get the lungs.

I will be taking a .338 WM if it shoots good. Range time will tell. Definately a premium bullet in what ever caliber you decide.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom