California Areas?

H

huntinhard

Where are some good public land areas to go in Cali to hunt blacktails? I know that guides aren't unreasonable but i like to challenge myself. Can anybody give their suggestions to lead me in a general direction?

huntinhard

Huntinhard
Where do you plan to hunt? northern/southern/central part of the state? If you are huntin in the northern part of the state i can help you a little bit. Are you wanting a pure blacktail that B&C recognizes west of I-5, or a blacktail/muley cross that is east of I-5. Are you applying for a premium x-zone tag? A b tagwould give you the most public land to hunt on if you are going west of I-5. If you are getting the A zone tag be prepared to do alot of searching for a place to hunt as most of it is private.

Norcalhntr

Huntinhard, any B zone can and will hold tremendous blacktails. My suggstion would be to try zone B1. This zone in the last 5 years has produced many magnum sized bucks. Concentrate your time during the early part of the season in any of the Wilderness areas! Get a map and start searching. One other word of advice, is that if the weather turns cold or it starts raining, go to lower elevations and hunt the oaks. Blacktail have cold feet and will start their migration as early as the end of September. Best of luck, Rick

thanks for the info guys. what i am looking for is a place centraly located. I would like to go for an archery hunt. i'm not concerned about p&y scoring system so if it is a cross...oh well. i just want to hunt blacktail in cali. its close to az and it sounds like a blast. i called the fish and game department to get the info, just wanted so real hunters thoughts.

huntinhard

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom