Californias 319 inch deer from the 70's

G

goofey50

I watched a deer be taken in the 70,s I believe. It is listed as the number 1 nontypical buck in Ca. and #4 in B&C records. It was shot by Harold Laird and scored 319--4/8 does anyone out there know where I can look at a picture of this buck?
Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-10 AT 09:58PM (MST)[p]Goofey, My guess is, it's one of these three stud Calif. bucks!

Ain't they Sweet?

Pic was taken by MM's own Hunterharry i believe.
4b45693642f0686e.jpg

Joey

THE HAROLD LAIRD BUCK HUNG IN A GAS STATION IN CERES CALIFORNIA FOR A DECADE OR TWO UNTIL THEY PUT IT ON TOUR. IT MAKES MOST OF THE MULE DEER SHOWS AS OF LATE.......YD.

Here is the Buck in question, I took this picture back in the early 90's in Sacramento ISE show.
4b4668ed5678058f.jpg

Mariposa County, Ca 1972
Inside spread: 23-5/8"
B&C #3 #8 in 1999
Score: 319-4/8"

Brian
345brfc.jpg

Cabela's in Reno has all three on their wall.(replicas I guess). But you can get a close up look. They are sure impressive.

Its been awhile but here is the way I remember it. We were on our way back from Crocker Ridge after hunting, and decided to cut back and go thru a place they call brush ridge, when we came around the corner there was a vehicle stopped in front of us. They got out of the jeep (I think it was a jeep) and was looking up the hill. One of the guys fired his rifle and started yelling I got him, I got him. I really dont think he had any idea what he had just shot. We drove by as they were pulling it down to the road and I couldnt believe my eyes when I saw the deer. We actually thought at first they had shot 2 deer not one. The horns were unreal and we thought they standing there looking at 2 not 1. Then they drug it down alittle farther and we could see just how big it was. Now grant you its been a long time ago, but I believe they took it into the town of Buck Meadows, hoisted it up the flag pole and went into the bar to celebrate, I think they did a pretty good job of that also. About 2 years later I saw the head again hanging in B&K Sporting Goods in Ceres. It hung there for along time then dissapeared. I always wondered what happened to it.
One Great Big Deer.

Oh don't go get tooooooooo pure now. So what if this is how it went down. Many great, good, average and little bucks are taken this way. Of course "from the road" implies get off the road to shoot but there is no rule about having to hike 38 miles before you can shoot.

Jazz

Its been awhile but here is the way I remember it. We were on our way back from Crocker Ridge after hunting, and decided to cut back and go thru a place they call brush ridge, when we came around the corner there was a vehicle stopped in front of us. They got out of the jeep (I think it was a jeep) and was looking up the hill. One of the guys fired his rifle and started yelling I got him, I got him. I really dont think he had any idea what he had just shot. We drove by as they were pulling it down to the road and I couldnt believe my eyes when I saw the deer. We actually thought at first they had shot 2 deer not one. The horns were unreal and we thought they standing there looking at 2 not 1. Then they drug it down alittle farther and we could see just how big it was. Now grant you its been a long time ago, but I believe they took it into the town of Buck Meadows, hoisted it up the flag pole and went into the bar to celebrate, I think they did a pretty good job of that also. About 2 years later I saw the head again hanging in B&K Sporting Goods in Ceres. It hung there for along time then dissapeared. I always wondered what happened to it.
One Great Big Deer.
I was also there on Crocker Ridge road that morning, I was in the green GMC 4x4 truck and I saw the buck moments before it was shot, I bailed out of the truck to shoot but he had run off around the mountain and when I was running to find him I heard a shot and there was another hunter that the buck ran to . Lucky for him. I’ve hunted Crocker Ridge for 35 yrs and have seen a few other bucks similar, but never as big and as many points as the Mariposa buck. These are all Yosemite National Park bucks that live in the high country most of the year and only migrate out of the park if there a snow storm for 2-3 days snowing continuously, then they come.

This discussion / thread you dug up is 14 years old. Nevertheless too bad the old photos didn’t make it. I used to bear hunt Crocker in the late season. Bucks as described aren’t there anymore. Even when there is a storm a couple g37 hunter's get some ok bucks but nothing like decades ago.

I was also there on Crocker Ridge road that morning, I was in the green GMC 4x4 truck and I saw the buck moments before it was shot, I bailed out of the truck to shoot but he had run off around the mountain and when I was running to find him I heard a shot and there was another hunter that the buck ran to . Lucky for him. I’ve hunted Crocker Ridge for 35 yrs and have seen a few other bucks similar, but never as big and as many points as the Mariposa buck. These are all Yosemite National Park bucks that live in the high country most of the year and only migrate out of the park if there a snow storm for 2-3 days snowing continuously, then they come.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom