Calling Bobcat

Kevin D

Well, now that the hound season for taking bobcat is officially over here in Utah, I still have a couple of tags left with 2 weeks remaining in the season where I can take bobcat by other methods.....I'm thinking about trying to call 'em. Now I don't want to spend the $8.00 necessary to buy a new varmit call, the only type of call I own is a coon squaller for jumping coons out of a tree so I'll either have to use it or a voice call.

Normally, I have a little spare time right after I dump the dogs on lions or whatever while they work the track and I thought about using this time to squawk a few times.....you know, in case there happened to be a bobcat sitting up in a tree nearby that might stick its head out to investigate.

Now I'm trying to stay within the parameters of the law, but does anybody have any experience with this type of calling they'd like to share with a novice like myself??? Who knows, perhaps I'll even donate the proceeds from the hides to the SFW's Predator Education Fund or some other worthy cause!

Hound season closed?? I thought it was yr round. I'll have to go out and ask my dogs again but I think they told me seasons yr round.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-04 AT 01:20PM (MST)[p]A coon squaller will work but a higher pitched call generally works better for cats. If you have a party supply store in your area check it out for small squeakers and pea-less high pitched whistles. Some shops will have a diaphragm call that they sell as a bird whistle all of these things usually costs a $1 or less. I've seen the same squeakers from a hunting company cost $6 and the diaphragm calls for $3 - $4. These items are for giving away as party favors.
If that's too much money, rob sqeakers from your pets or kids toys.:D

I saw this on another forum. How's this for cheap? Blow up a balloon, pinch the sides of the neck and stretch it out to make a squeaking/squealing sound when the air escapes. Remember doing that as a kid?:D
The gentleman that made the original post had a photo of himself and a bobcat he called in with a balloon posted as well.
This is one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" ideas!

Use a high pitched call. Some bird kind of sounds work really well. Most dog toys have a squeaker in them, just squeeze and sound comes out. My personal favorite is getting the Dawg to sing by manual manipulation of his testicles. You can't beat that with a stick. I think they come more out of wonder than anything else.

Ed

My "bobcat call" has worked wonders on calling in "game" at Hawns for years. It's called in kitty after kitty in the Cache valley bar scene...

Don't see why it wouldn't work on bobcats as well.

Kevin, get your ass down here on Saturday and let's hunt!!!

Your suggestion about using a baloon for a call has given me an idea Weasel, why not use condoms instead?? My own have probably been stretched out to much to get a good high pitched squeak....I'd be lucky to get a mid-range baritone sound out of mine. But HoundDawg's, on the other hand, I'm sure will have enough elasticity left to hit all the high notes!! Thanks for the idea buddy! (Though it might be tough explaining to the fishcops what I'm really doing coming out of the woods with one of HoundDawg's condoms hanging out of the corner of my mouth).

We'll see what the weather brings Saturday morning Dawg. Hopefully the predicted storm will hold off until at least mid morning. By that time, I should be drunk enough it won't even matter!! :D

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-04 AT 02:21PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-04 AT 02:19?PM (MST)

My personal favorite is
>getting the Dawg to sing
>by manual manipulation of his
>testicles. You can't beat that
>with a stick. I think
>they come more out of
>wonder than anything else.
>
>Ed

Are they all males in a line?:eek:

edhunter, HoundDawg & KevinD, just shaking my head, but LOL!:D

This is just starting the hype for our spring fling in the LaSals. Outdoor Chick and Babe will be there. This means I can bring a few extra dogs since I don't have to stop and pickup the camp entertainment in Shiprock this year.

We'll work in the kondom kat killer call but Dawgs condom isn't coming near my mouth or any other orifice on my person. I blew snot on my work computer with that one Kevin. Took an hour to get functional again.

So there you have it, calling cats with condoms, chasing bears with flea motels and outdoor gals as entertainment. Who would miss that?

Ed

Where do I sign-up?:D I wouldn't want to miss a hunt like that and besides, I can bring my video camera to document the festivities!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom