Cam Hanes' Book

TerynItUp

"Backcountry Bowhunting." Anybody here read it? What'd you think?

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

read the whole book in one day. great read

The first 75% is ok but the last 25% kinda gets too far into marathon running type stuff.
Hunting is not a marathon and shouldn't be. I don't mean to discount Cameron in anyway but since you asked, I think his editor should have found a way to correct the issue. CH is a one of the best though.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

I have to agree with flyingbrass. Some good info for sure, and a good read. But Cameron does get a little crazy with doing the extreme stuff, just to 'test your resolve'. Don't think you have to put yourself in a near death/survival situation to have a good time. But most excercise junkies get a slightly different take on life than the rest of us, nothing wrong with that. But the guy is a stud, and the book is worth having.

oakbrush

Don't mean to be negative but last article I read from him in hunting magazine he mentioned "I" and "me" I don't know how many times. He sure likes himself a lot. Also was turned off a few years ago when he was ripping on whitetail hunting from a tree stand and how he thinks it's so boring but now I see him in commercials shooting from a tree stand??? Whatever.

The dude is a class A Tool, wouldn't bother with ANY of his self obsessed hack writing.

Yeah, hane's is a real 'backcountry big trophy' stud alright...I especially like the 'unwritten' articles, like when he killed a 270 bull over water on the Double H a few years back because the 'real DYI' trophy hunting at that time and place was just 'too difficult'...or all the 'hardcore' facepaint ads of him show him clinging to some stupid cliff with SOMEONE else's horns strapped on.

Guy is a frikken blowhard who's made a 'decent living' for himself by beguiling the naive and impressionable.

I have a 3rd grade cousin that writes better than Hanes does, and I know a handful of teenage kids that would smoke his azz in athlethics, in written English presentation, AND in the hunting field.

Cameron Hanes is what we refer to as a 'fabricated character'. But you know, such walnut brained half-wits sometimes do grow to become mighty Warlords and Wizards in their respective worlds of Fable that the innocent and frail seek inspiration from...IF there are enough dorks out there to support such goofy drivel, of course...

Eh! :)

(are you just trolling us?)

> I know a
>handful of teenage kids that
>would smoke his azz in
>athlethics, in written English presentation,
>AND in the hunting field.

Can those teenage kids run a 2:50 at Boston or a sub-24-hour time at Western States?
They may be able to out sprint him, but that's like saying I can find people who can shoot a rifle more accurately than Cam.

Nah, ain't trollin'...

But I might be able to find guys able to shoot a BOW more accurately than yer hero buddy can...and torch him in the mountains besides.

We're here all day, EVERY day...give a call, I'll gitcha lined out :)

>Nah, ain't trollin'...
>

Okay. He admits to not being the best at shooting his bow and, come to think of it, I've never heard him claim to be the best at anything. I do agree that his writing could use some work, but that's the case with most outdoor writers. I will withhold judgment on everything else you said, but having just qualified for Boston four weeks ago (after building up for five years), I will give him credit for his athletic accomplishments. He's close to 40 and he does some amazing stuff - he's not the fastest, for sure, but I wouldn't question his fitness level.

Haven't read it,probably won't. I used to like some of his stories but,like most of the folks these days, they don't know what DIY stands for.They always have a crew or were given a tag. And as for the marathoner stuff,I know a 72 yr old trapper locally that most of you could not keep up with.

Most of us can learn something from most anyone else. I don't read much in the way of hunting magazines and don't watch any of the shows and don't have an opinion on the authors of most of these books themselves. Hane's book is a good read. Often your local library can get a copy for you to read on loan from another library if they don't have it, if you don't want to spring the cash on an unknown. I like Hane's book. Some of it was old hat, but I learned a few things as well, as I'm sure I could from most of you if you wrote books. I'd recommend his frank address about loneliness and fear for those who've yet to try a back country hunt by themselves for the first time. Long's book is also a good read. Prothero's Mule Deer Quest is also a really good read if you want to learn a thing or two about mule deer. I think he may give a better picture into the mind of a mule deer than any other I've read as well as promotes older hunting methods for big bucks where glassing isn't an option.

There are all kinds of addictions!!! He better keep it up while he's young....Works for him.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

Back to the original question . . . I felt like it was worth the few hours it took to read. I have never met the guy and have absolutely no opinion about his personality, but the content in his book was worthwhile. I like the way he illustrated what he had said in the chapter with a story at the end.

Best book out in my opinion. Check out David Long's book as well.

I don't think there is any other quality
so essential to success of any kind as the
quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

Long writes some good stuff...Prothero has been pretty hit and miss lately, one of his recent articles was just abyssmal, but then the next one was just like the Walt of old...very good

Hell, Boddington has also written a plethora of decent articles, but that don't make him a Great Writer by any means.

Frikken hanes would beg to polish old Craig's boots...

I thought it was a great book. A lot of good information. like others have said he talks a lot about physical and mental fitness which I personally enjoyed. It's definitely not necessary to go to the extremes that he goes to to have a good time but being in shape can make a tough hunt more enjoyable. I'd recommend it.

Cameron Hanes definitely isn't the same person now as he was when he wrote the book and even more different then the person he was in a lot of the experiences he shares in the book. I don't necessarily agree with all the crazy self advertisement he's involved in but I think the route he is taking is one that will benefit him and his family financially, can't really blame him for that. From my point of view he is now exercising for money and fame and trying to make money with his self image whereas before he was exercising for hunting and trying to make money hunting but there's just not enough cash in that side of things to make a living. While I wish he would stay true to himself, if you look past all the hype and advertising, he's an inspiring guy that has worked hard to reach his goals and learned to dominate negative thoughts. Anyway, good book. Also check out David Long's Public Land Muleys and Dwight Schuh's Hunting Open Country Mule Deer. Both great books without a lot of fitness talk if that isn't what your after.

Thanks for the feedback, I am one of the nutcases that really enjoys the physical training aspect of hunting. I plan to purchase the book, I think there is something to be learned from everyone out there, you just have to dig deep enough to find out what it is.

GW - Your comment about Cam's 3rd grade writing made his Facebook page.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I will read the book and formulate my own. As of right now, I like what I see in Cam. I don't think he is doing anything to hurt our way of life.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

LAST EDITED ON May-14-12 AT 07:12PM (MST)[p]Greatwestern..

Hurd a'bout yoo

I magine we'll meet sum day... and we'll talk face 2 face bout my old buddy Cam!

Donnie... hee hee hee...Lee

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

His book is good. Personally, I'd love to see greatwestern puff up in person, or try to best him at anything - starting with integrity. So he's obsessed with working out, hunting, and gorilla marketing... big deal. Beast mode! :)

"YOU'RE NOT WORTHY"

Ya Donnie, I'm sure we'll get the chance to meet sometime soon here. Though I imagine we'll be able to come up with several more interesting topics than your ol' buddy's writing to discuss ;)

Spaz, thanks for the chuckle :)

Yeah, we can talk about killing a den of coyote pups, HB2072, AZSFW, SFW, proposed national monuments, wolves, mule deer management....

Or we can just talk about desert sheep and deer or how you're gonna have me and T over in your neck of the woods for a muley hunt??? Was that too forward? Lol

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

>I have a 3rd grade cousin
>that writes better than Hanes
>does, and I know a
>handful of teenage kids that
>would smoke his azz in
>athlethics, in written English presentation,
>AND in the hunting field.

Is this 3rd grade cousin younger or older??

I have to agree with archer11 100%.
"Cameron Hanes definitely isn't the same person now as he was when he wrote the book and even more different then the person he was in a lot of the experiences he shares in the book. I don't necessarily agree with all the crazy self advertisement he's involved in but I think the route he is taking is one that will benefit him and his family financially, can't really blame him for that. From my point of view he is now exercising for money and fame and trying to make money with his self image whereas before he was exercising for hunting and trying to make money hunting but there's just not enough cash in that side of things to make a living. While I wish he would stay true to himself, if you look past all the hype and advertising, he's an inspiring guy that has worked hard to reach his goals and learned to dominate negative thoughts. Anyway, good book. Also check out David Long's Public Land Muleys and Dwight Schuh's Hunting Open Country Mule Deer. Both great books without a lot of fitness talk if that isn't what your after."

Like many writers, he started out as a great source of info and inspiration and seemingly uneffected by self promotion and selling his sponsers items. I loved his book and reading his early articles in Eastmans, then after the continued onslought of the ads and articles about what he uses, where he hunts for free and how cool he is because he won an endurance race,I got tired of him. Like another hero of mine Chuck Adams, he became too commercial and only speaks well of those who pay him...

Dwight Shuh, David Long and Prothero have all written some books that could be considered bibles of hunting that remain timeless and do not stray into the endless promotion of sponsers.

Stop Global Whining

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom