Camera

arroyobuck

I would like to buy a digital camera that takes decent pictures of wildlife. My budget is $300-$400 including accessories. Which one should I get? Any advice is appreciated.

thanks

why do you think you can find a $300-400 camera, including accessoies that can take decent wildlife pictures?

I'd say the closes thing I can think of would be an older fuji s5000 or somthing like that, but even that has huge limits!

My advise, save your money and when you get enough for a good camera and lens, buy it. You seldom will be satisfied with wildlife photos taken with a $300 camera. Just a bottom line tripod and head is going to run you at least $100 bucks and a useable one will put you up well beyond that.

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

Geez Tony, you are on a roll today.

Aroyyobuck, if you are looking for quality wildlife shots such as final and saskman get, obviously $300-400 isn't going to cut it. Don't worry, there are still opportunities for a decent camera that will take decent wildlife shots. If you look throught the archives at some of DeerKings shots I think you will be impressed with what the Panasonic fz20 can do. There may be some other cameras that would fit your bill as well, but the fz's are the only ones I am familiar with.

just keeping it real mt! lets say an fz 20 is 350 - give or take a few bucks. ad another 50 for an extra card and a spare battery and bingo, your there. . . I guess what I dont understand is how people can afford $400 but cant afford to save for 6 months or a year and buy one that they will use until it breaks or wears out. What's been your experence with the FZ? Come on, tell us, dont hide it, just tell us. . . ;-) !

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

Well, let's see. I just picked up a 20 for $299 to my door. You are right, the card is too small, so another needs to be purchased. I already have a gig and some 512's, so that was nothing. I guess a'buck can pick up a 512mb card for $20 online. On my fz10 I could take about 300 shots on a battery charge, so I doubt an extra battery is required, but they can also be picked up for less than $20 on ebay (new). Seems like these numbers fall right in where arroyobuck was looking for. I just answered his question, instead of questioning him.

Nothing to hide on the fz10 that I just replaced. I have had it for 2.5 years and it does what I would like. It has been a little finicky since I took it on a Kodiak hunt last year and it got drenched. I wasn't too worried about it since I didn't have to save for "6 months or a year" for the camera. I guess I could have paid more for a decent SLR, but it wouldn't have gone up the mountain for the hunt. The 10 is not completly retired and will be my camera when I am in the mud and muck while I am chasing ducks this year.

Everyone has different needs and wants. You are a great photographer and it is your passion, so money well spent on your equipment. Me, I like to shoot some pics and would love to have a great SLR and the knowledge to get the best from it...but I also have other passions such as hunting and my "six months to a year" dollars are going for hunting trips in SD this fall and BC in the spring. If I had the money, I would have both the hunting and the camera. I don't, and I have made my choices.

Guess I am guilty and trying to answer arroyobucks question...I would like a camera that takes decent pictures. My budget is $300 to $400.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-06 AT 07:00PM (MST)[p]My photos aren't nearly in the class of Tony or some of the other guys with pro type equipment but I've been able to get respectable results from my FZ10. Total setup around $450 give or take. I've just taken the next step up to a "real" setup but its hard to beat the old Panasonic when you are just starting out. It's lightweight and portable for backpacking or a good camera just to throw in the truck that can handle a beating.

If someone (me) would learn how to use more than the "auto" mode you could probably get even better results...

zillalipcurlside.jpg

sanlipcurl.jpg

overshouldinline.jpg

LateJune012.jpg

Inline1sig.jpg

fawnpeek.jpg

elksniff.jpg

bucksidelay.jpg

bucklay.jpg

3cheat016.jpg

AntlerQuest Scouting & Hunt Consulting

Hey thanks for considering me a good photographer. The door was open in this post only because, "Any advice is appreciated." Therefore, I took the liberty to say what I believe to be the best way to spend the money - that's save it, add a bit more and buy somthing that you wont outgrow. Another important factor is that the post was about photographing wildlife, not hunting, not kids, not a do everything camera, it was specific to wildlife. Again, the door was open, the invitation was for ANY ADVICE.

I made a recomendation, and I always have recomended the FZ, but most people ask for the optimum to everything camera, this poster was specifically talking about wildlife. Next time I'll try to be more sensitive. . .

In any event, Jeff, would you mind telling this audiance why you upgraded, and what you spend your hard earned cash on.

Later boyzzzzzzzzzzzzz. . .

Tony
Your as good a photographer as I've seen, I love your work and have learned a lot from your advice on this forum, thanks for all the info. My little setup will never produce the results expensive equipment can get but I think for a guy on budget and not expecting tack sharp photos the FZs do a descent job.

I went with a Canon setup with two IS lenses. It was a flip of the coin between Canon and Nikon and heads came up Canon.

Thanks TipM

AntlerQuest Scouting & Hunt Consulting

Depends on what you consider decent wildlife pictures.

If what you are looking for is something to take quality wildlife photos that you can market you're probably going to need something far more than a $300-$400 including accessories product. Trust me I learned the hard way. Not saying you can't get some nice stuff with what you're considering, but not on a consistant basis.

Remember, It's tough to bring an elephant home and expect it to purr.

Just my two cents.

Rod

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-06 AT 09:16PM (MST)[p]hey, this is 'monster muleys'...not 'photography is my life'...i like a good pic as much or more than anyone...i always strive to get the best pic i can, but rarely succeed....do not matter...i find the pleasure of 'being there', much more pleasant than getting that 'once in a life time shot'... some of the best pics i have ever seen were with 'out-dated' cameras...you can't 'be everything'...everyone whom contributes here is terrific...'deerking' and 'saskman' and 'browtine',and 'mtmiller', are ALL good examples, i know they are having as much fun 'being there', as they are taking pics, though there are many, many more...'arroyo' just wants to take a 'decent picture'...i just wanta look at a 'decent picture'....if all i wanted was the 'best', i'd be on a photography site, not MM...ya gotta do what ya gotta do.....'arroyo',get what you can afford, and share it with me...i will appreciate it to 'no end'...
"why do you think you can find a $300-400 camera, including accessories that can take decent wildlife pictures?"...because you can, that's why...you do it, and you 'put it up here'...i will be here waiting for it...

I find the biggest thing with the more expensive SLR type cameras is that you will have a camera that will give you more options in the long run to improve your photography if that is the way you want to go. They also seen to give much cleaner photos with lower noise and perform better at higher ISO settings which is useful in lowlight situations when photographing wildlife. They are also a lot more bulky and harder to carry around and put a big whole in the wallet. If you are looking for a camera that you can easily carry along with you and take good photos secondary to other activities such as hunting then a smaller point and shoot would definately be the way to go. They are more compact, easier to pack around and definately cheaper and will suit the majority of people better than a SLR. Most of the point and shoot cameras with the 10X to 12X zoom lenses will take a pretty decent photo if the lighting is good. I find the best way to get a nice clear photo of wildlife wether you are shooting a SLR or a point and shoot is to get close. Nothing can improve your photos more than being nice and close to the animal. Typically bowhunting distances are what you are looking for with any camera to get good photos. Buy what you feel will suit you and give you the results you want and go out and have fun. Everybody has different priorities. For example my buddy just bought a $1000 dollar set of irons for golfing. I myself think he is crazy for spending that much on a set of clubs as my $350 dollar complete set works just fine and my scores are not all that much worse than his. Yet I go out and have bought 3 $1000 bows in the last 2 years( after being all decked out) and feel just fine about doing it while he thinks I have lost my mind.

Saskman

'sasko'...have you 'lost your mind'?? a good rifle is way cheaper...you just keep doin' what you're doin', and keep sharin' with us....we ask no more from you, than to have fun, and share...you are appreciated more than many here will ever admit to...but, not me...and i thank you..

good thread. I dont think there is anyone disputing "fun." You can have fun photographing with a brownie of you like. I like to look at all types of photography, especially photogaphy done by people who really like their subjects! Shoot with whatever you got and post whatever makes you happy.

keep us all informed as to what you guys do with your cameras and how they work for you. I'd like to hear how the canon system works out for sask. .. Keep up to speed on your new gear.

And when the new camera is in hand, take it out and shoot it a lot. learn to use all it's capacity! It's just a tool.

Perhaps the best choice would be the Panasonic DMC-TZ1. It is a 5 mega pixel with a 10x optical zoom lens. It has a Leica Lens for the sharpest pictures in a long zoom camera. With 5 MP you can enlarge the photos up easily to 11x14. It is easy to use and is light weight for a camera with this range of zoom

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
575 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10022
212-753-5128
www.cameralandny.com

Well there's no doubt the last part of your question "Any advice is appreciated" has sure gotten some attention.

I think we're all saying the same thing here, perhaps just in different ways. Speaking for myself I simply meant to share my experience and let arroyobuck take from it what he wanted. It is a photography forum however so I think it's fair to talk photography at all levels of interest and expertise. That said the first and foremost thing as Littlefoot eluded to is to insure you're having fun.

Whether you use a little disposable or a real expensive Digital SLR for the purpose of having fun and enjoying the hunt as much or more than collecting your trophy, it doesn't really matter, you can achieve it with both. Either way you've accomplished in my mind the most important aspect of photographing wildlife and that's getting out there and trying to get that once in a life time shot that you are personally happy with while capturing some of your experiences so you can share them with the rest of us.

Over time if you want to improve with respect to functionality and image quality that some of the higher end equipment offers, then by all means, research it and ask guys like Tfinal and Sask for advice, save your money and go for it. If you're satisfied with what you have in a smaller point and shoot and the results you're getting with it then by all means, keep at it and continue to have fun and share with the rest of us.

Good luck, Rod

Very well put littlefoot! While I very much enjoy the GREAT photos shared here by TFinal and the other professionals, I also enjoy all the photos posted by all the others. This is a hunting web site with a bunch of amature photographers just sharing some field shots now and then. It's fun to meet people from other parts of the country and share what's interesting to them.

Another thing you have to remember. Not everybody who spends a couple thousand dollars on a camera set-up has the patience or ability or desire to get GREAT photos. So it would be a waste of money, IMO.

I purchased an FZ7 which came out in January this year. It's 12X optical zoom, has a Leica lens. 6 MP. Small and lightweight. I think $310. I need a good tripod now. I don't expect to get great photos but I should get a "decent" one now and then, even if it is an accident, LOL!

I think DK is the only one around here who could get one of those disposable cameras for $3.99 and get some GREAT photos! He uses an FZ10? I rest my case!

Tony, I do appriciate your expertice and your willingness to help others be the best they can be too!

Steve

I know this thread is mabey more than he was expecting but I'm enjoying it. I have the fz-20 and fz-5. I have enjoyed them immensely and think that 90% of amatuer photographers would be happy with the Fz20 which can be had for 299.00 these days. I have used lots of high end Cameras in SLR and Medium format and for what it is the FZ series really impresses me in the lower asa setting. I would love to hear what you fellas are using camera body and Lense wise. I Am looking to upgrade,why? Cause I'm a picky sucker and when I get that shot of a lifetime I want to be able to publish it. Please post up your Photo combo including tripod. Thanks

I love all the awesome photos posted here by the resident "Studs" (Not in any particular order)...
TFinalshot, Saskman, Hoofs&Horns, Littlefoot, Deerking etc.
You have so generously given so many of us mere mortals some great advice.
I thank you for your contributions to this site.
You guys have supplied a bunch of incredible images that most all of us drool over regularly.
I am much more of "trophy shot" snapshot type of photographer.
One thing that comes with buying a camera capable of the type of super photos you see by these guys is the education necessary to operate a high tech piece of equipment.
You need to learn all the functions and correct terminology associated with serious photography in order to take a professional quality photo with consistency.
HH

Some photos of mine with our Panasonic FZ20. Handheld on these ones. Got a tripod, just have yet to actually get it out and use it.

CalHunter

72peekingdoemr1.jpg

72proudcowef0.jpg

21deer11506enhkf1.jpg

p1000390tf9.jpg

p1000393vh9.jpg

72horsecanyonbuckoj1.jpg

Well, after reading this thread, I am a bit more decided on what I want. Thanks to all of you for inspiring me to get out and get back into photographing the great outdoors. It was once a great passion, but time took away some of that passion but the burn is coming on very strong. Like the other posts, thanks for posting all your pics, and stoking my fire.

BTW, Littlefoot, I sent you a pm before I saw this post. Thanks everyone.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom