Camp Meat?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Or more to the point of my question, How many of you have taken a buck, or other big game, from right close to your camp?

I have a few places i park my pop-up cabover for a couple/few days at a time. Decent hunting and glassing right out the back door. Perfect for us busted down, broken up, older folks! :)

Joey

Keep your slimy Paws Off My, Yours, Our,.. Public Land!!!

Never spent any time other than time throwing a Pack/Gear on to get a Buck Close to the Truck!

I have had a couple Guys say:

You shoulda been sittin in your Truck today!:D

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

Something to be said about getting away from the roads bBess, that's for sure!

Reminds me of a time i had took off walking from the grandparents Ranch House. I was a hour or so later taking a break, sitting atop a rimrock vista that very few ever hunted because there were no roads on that section, but it looks way across and down on a 1/2 section that my Dad like to cruise while he sipped his beer and cared not if he saw any deer that night or not.

Anyway, i see all these deer scattering all over that lower ranch and i'm wondering why. 4-5 minutes later here comes Dad in his old white GMC truck, putting on down the ranch road, his version of hunting.

I heard tell of guys who stay in camp on purpose and usually always got their deer? What say you guys?

Joey

One year Dad was packing up camp, his partner filled his tag but they needed to get back to MN. As they were loading up the tent into the truck a small muley walked through camp. He snuck around the truck, got his gun back out and shot it right there25 yards from the truck :D He was happy, very easy pack out... lol
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

My son and I had a couple of doe antelope tags to fill last fall. I filled two on Saturday and he filled one. We got up Sunday morning and stepped out of the camper. I looked up and standing about 100 yards to the east was a lone doe staring at us. My son went to the truck, got his rifle, loaded it, and shot her.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-16 AT 11:53PM (MST)[p]Once, in high school, a friend and I arrived at a not-to-be-named National Park to find a shiny new sign at the entrance announcing "No Firearms" inside the park. Which was unfortunate, since we had carried along our .22s and were a hundred miles from home with no intention of going back just to put our rifles away. And so they remained hidden, safely concealed on the back seat, until a squirrel chewed his fat-headed way into my new tent in order to consume our last loaf of bread. It was not difficult to identify the culprit, high-centered as he dragged his gut around the campsite. My buddy decided that a small caliber rifle, discharged from within the vehicle through an open window, would not be noticed. He was wrong, or so It occurred to me as the fourth or fifth echo passed between the sheer granite cliffs of the basin. The clatter of dropped spoons could be heard at picnic tables throughout the campground as granola-chewing hippies reacted in horror. Twenty minutes later, a ranger drove past, giving us the evil eye but otherwise without incident. How everyone failed to identify the source of the shot is beyond me. Not proud of it, but I still have to laugh and wonder how we ever made it through our teens! I don't want to highjack your thread (and we did not eat the meat), but I would love to know how many others still cringe when they consider the stupid things we did.

I had to stop and think about the question for a bit.

I don't recall killing anything from right in camp. A couple of deer and an elk or two where fairly close, but not in camp. They that were within a quarter mile of camp, over a hill, around a corner, across a creek or some where out of site and probably far enough out that human sound was mute, the wind was right, I suspect. I've generally tried to camp a fair piece away from where I thought the critters are active. Always figured my camp would likely cause any game in the area to move off, away from the noise and smells. Also, until I got some years on me, I was a fair distance from camp, well before day light and stayed in the field until after the "golden" time came and went. I always wanted to be somewhere, watching a feeding area as the very last light melted into pitch black, so I was rarely in camp during the day light.

I guess that's a general statement, there were certainly times when, I confess, I was back in camp during the middle of the day, asleep on a bed roll. ;-)

My Dad was with me once, after he'd stopped hunting, and a young buck walked into camp, he said. I said, "we should have bought you a tag"! He snorted! He'd lost all interest in killing anything by then, he just wanted to be there and enjoy the company and the camp.

I've walked/driven passed other people's camps, pick-up, etc, while they we're asleep or out hunting and seen game very near their tents/trailers/trucks etc. Usually females or young males, never seen a mature big game animal in anyone's camp. Seen mature critters run through an empty camp or by someone's parked truck, a time or two. I've pulled up on the edge of a meadow, tree line, ridge, parked and stayed in the truck and had mature animals walk out of the tree's, while I was setting and glassing. However, usually not really close.

I've come to believe, if you're inside a vehicle, and your quiet, animals will wander quite close, within a 100 yards or so. (Step out, they leave right quick, in most cases.) Especially young animals. But there are always exceptions, as you can see in this photo. See the Jeep. We got out of our vehicle to take a picture and these bucks moved right off, walked right pass the Jeep,

34220150730copy.jpg

I have no doubt you can kill a buck from your truck/camper sage. If it was me, I'd park in a different place to sleep and cook and stir around in, then before day light I'd drive a mile or two, to that good game area you mentioned, park it where I could see as many directions as possible and I'd just stay inside, moving very little and making as little noise as possible, then, I'd only exit the truck to shoot. Pee in a cup! :) After dark, drive away, to an evening location where you can sleep and eat, away from the next day's hunt. Then do it again the next morning. In a day or three, you'll get your critter, no reason it won't be a bigger one, if you're in an area where some older critters hang out. Finding the right location will be the key to success, as it generally is, cuz a cain't kill'em if their ain't there.

DC

My 1st 2 elk were within 100 yrds of camp.
I try not to camp in campgrounds.
Took several deer from pack camps,once just out of my bag.
Used to walk out from my cabin and see bucks,but never with a tag. Took a buck near my orchard a few times...

It's happened to me a few times over the years.

I was camped on an old log landing one time and got up early to cook breakfast and make a lunch. The plan was to hike up the mountain and stay all day. It was already getting hot. Think California hot, maybe 65 degrees and just starting to get light.

I was putting my pack together thinking how futile this hike was going to be and looked up to see a nice forked horn walking through the landing not 50 yards away. I picked up my rifle and dumped him. I was headed back home within an hour.

I had an 89 Toyota pickup at one time. I swear that truck was a deer magnet. It seemed every where I parked within a few minutes deer would show up. I miss that truck. :)

I have never personally killed anything from camp. But I know of an animal that was killed from my camp while I was out hunting.

About a decade ago, my family and some extended family used to hunt along Chalk Creek. My immediate family and I would always be up before light, hike the mountain and wait for sun-up. My extended family had a more, "relaxed" approach to hunting. They would arise later, eat breakfast, and then cruise up one of two 4-wheeler trails before eating their lunch on the mountain.

That year, as I and my other family members were sitting on the mountain at around 10am, we heard shots from way down the mountain. We all figured a buck had been missed (due to so many shots) by our extended family members. Upon returning to camp that night, we were all shocked to see a 31" buck with some cheaters hanging from a tree. Turns out, as my extended family was sitting around the fire that morning, the 4-year old in camp started yelling, "There's a deer, there's a deer!" When everyone looked across the river up on the hillside, this buck was walkin along casually. The two tag holders grabbed there guns from the trailer and fired two shots at the buck. They missed. Luckily, the buck bolted straight TOWARDS camp. When he got to the river, he slowed and started along the bank, just 70 yards from camp. The tag-holders then fired an additional 2 shots each, and the buck was down for good.

It was the biggest buck taken there in more than 10 years. And it was the last buck any of our family ever killed there. (Hunting company started leasing the property the next year and ever since).

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

It's happened once. I camped in an established campground that gets people traffic all summer long. I witnessed these young deer coming right into the grounds, not a fear in the world. My guess is they had gotten used to people offering food.

During the hunt, I hiked miles into the wilderness, not seeing much action. On the last day of the hunt, needing to fill the freezer, I decided to stay closer to camp.

Being the only one in the campground at that time of year, I was able to connect. While field-dressing the animal, the others stayed not more than 30 yds away.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-16 AT 10:13AM (MST)[p]
Thank You Guys, good stuff!!

I suppose i should clarify a bit, i've never once, that i can remember, camped in a regular campground during deer season. Hate them all cooped up with each camper in his own little domain, avoid them at all costs. I like being off by myself and these places i'm talking about might be back in off the hard top 10 miles or 10 minutes on rocky dirt 4x4 roads to a old dead end logging landing or the like. I won't park if there's another sole around. I'm out in the stix, nothing tame or easy about the deer, but i am counting on them to be close by on fringes of habitat i've learned that deer or bucks really like, even if it is accessible by vehicle. There are also a couple favorite places i'll stay a couple days a time just because, never seen "Jack" there but nice tracks. I'll keep going back because it just looks so good, you can't get them if you don't go and though i'm limited, i still want to go!

Stealth camping. Lots of folks living in vans or camper rigs these days. With so many varied outdoor related things to do here in the West, places to go, mostly hunting and fishing, I've had a camper rig and been getting better and better at it now more than 40 years.

You young guys or in better health, i feel nothing to prove to anybody. I've had my turn. I still do love the feeling of a upcoming opening day. I've also spent a lot of time planning and thinking of the possibilities of what this coming and next season might bring. Some quit when they no longer can get around. I don't know if i could do that. :)

Any Camp Cooks out there popped a buck while the mighty hunters went blank?

Joey

Uhhhh....my 1st archery buck. Was a small "camp buck"...you know those really young and dumb ones that nobody would shoot. Wouldn't leave our campsite. My young son begged me to shoot it. I finally gave in and he was so excited to see an animal harvested with his own eyes. I enjoyed his excitement, the small buck, not so much. But a two days later I shot my 1st archery elk with him by my side, too. Kind of fun.

I was just thinking of a really nice Wyoming trip that i was lucky enough to attend with my old high school hunting Pard. It's been 7-8 years ago, something like that. We might have lucked out on the draw but that area, 87, wasn't all that much in demand back then though i knew it for a fair hunt. We drew... and once i took my antelope, which i also drew, we headed to a different part of the area to hunt Bucks.

Driving up this small access rd toward the top of the Ferris range, we found a place to our liking and being we each had our own rigs, we each start making camp. I'm trying to dig out a depression behind my rear tire with the lugs on my boots to better get level when i look over and there's 2 bucks standing there under a tree looking at me not but 20-30 yards away... and one of them was a mature shooter buck.

Let me say that under conditions like that, it's tough not to get a little rattled, buck fever, you get the picture. I managed to do everything ok though and they were still in that same area there when i'm now able to draw down on said critter, locked and loaded, but i couldn't shoot. Deciding not to, just hadn't hunted enough, seen what there was there to see, can't kill a monster if you shoot a nice one. I guess i just wanted to look them over and i passed the shot.

We later both ended up taking respectable bucks after a good looking over of what we thought a healthy deer herd and a few that were also tough to pass. That buck by camp though, he almost made the last mistake of his life and he'd a been a camp buck to tell on sure enough.

Joey

I mentioned this awhile back, we got a retired electrician in our group that's a bit out of shape and his work has taken its toll over time. A few years back I told him he didn't need to hike all over creation if he didn't feel like it and I was sure he could kill a bull right from our spike camp. Part of my suggestion was selfish in that I feel more comfortable knowin someone's in sight of the horses in case one of em decides to get themselves in trouble and he's handy in that respect. And the other part of course, was I could see it was gettin tough for him to get around. He's killed an elk opening morning from camp the past several years and seems to be enjoyin doin it! I think in his mind he was thinkin his seasons were nearing the end and now his hunting career has been extended. And we've got eyes on the stock! Win win!

DW, +1, that's a neat story!

Do i want to kill a big buck? Sure i do but now it's more important just being there, tag in pocket, a loved rifle that you have absolute faith in, get one or not, it's as good as it gets.

Joey

Joey,those 1st 2 bulls came into camp after the other guys went out & I was still dicking around...

2 yrs ago I knew there was a big buck around where I camped,saw him scouting. I never saw anything but his tracks & dinks & coues,til the day after my hunt.
Laying in my bag w/coffee in the tent, watching a herd of coues 40yrds away.I hear a twig snap next to tent . I look out behind tent and there is the nice 34" or so 5x5 walking off.Turns and gives me a side shot view before trotting off.LOL

I drew that unit again. He's still around I hear from a rancher.....plan A.
Oh,my camp spot is 500 yrds off main dirt access road,everyone goes right on by. 4 springs within a mile.

Thanks Hank, Nice!!

There is a high mountain lake on N.Forest i go to that i can back right up to, catch 10-16" trout until i tire of it, all the while watching deer come in to water. I usually have the lake to myself, farthest possible shot across would be about 400 yds.

I've spent 3-4 opening weekends there all by my lonesome, a area right close, 15 miles or so, to where i live and can usually draw with my second choice if i don't draw a muley hunt X zone tag.

Talk about a bit of heaven, i think actually getting a buck there would spoil the fun but if one i want ever comes in, i'll give him the business. lol

Joey

Sounds great Joey!
I do miss the Sierra's and the fishing.
I have a local lake I have yet to fish and they just restocked the Gila with Gila cutts. New spot to check out for smallmouth too.
I have a spot picked out on the San Fransico river for a base in the pines that I have used before for scouting. One hunt camp spot is used by local ranchers the rest of the year and I get tips from them. I move in after they leave & fall round up.
Getting a known Gila tag is as hard as a X-Zone or a G it seems for me,lol. Elk anyway. But my fringe units work fine by me.There are still a few decent bucks in NM,but not near what it was 20 yrs ago. Elk is a different story.
Elk at home this year is my personal bonus.

Catch a trout for me Joey.

I cant remember the year, it was about 13-15 years ago, The family and I went archery hunting Deer, where we would normally Rifle Hunt.At the time there wasnt specific units for archery, Anyway, got there 1-1/2 days early and set up a tent and camp. Spotted a few bucks and were excited for the opener. The night before the Hunt it started raining, then it Rained, Then it got serious and really let go.. We had planned on a 7 day hunt. By day 4 EVERYTHING was soaked and we came home. We got Home about 1am and went to sleep. In the morning i got up to make Coffee, and looked out the kitchen window at our garden...The garden that had 1 -3 point buck and 4 does in it. I hate to admit it now but..Well he was still there as I leaned out around the corner of the garage..Dang thing didn't even make it out of my Tomatoes before he bit the dust on top of 2 plants. I went back in and told my sons to go to the low end of the pasture and dig me a hole 2X2. They ask why and didn't believe me when I said to put my Bucks guts in it..... He (the Buck) did go along well with the other things from the garden.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-16 AT 07:54AM (MST)[p]Thanks Hank. it all sounds good, I hope you have a great year!!

Stonfly, I really liked your story. Thru the years, i shot a couple bucks right from the yard at the ranch but none were actually in the yard. Though in the Hills, the Ranch house was not in the roughest parts. Big rolling hills and long open ridges surrounded by deep oak and brush infested canyons allowed some barley and wheat fields. The deer would come in to those at night and feed on that and the weeds n green stuff close to the ground. Grandpa also planted a strip or two of Sweet Sudan Grass, a surefire way for his hunt crazy Grandson, that would be me, to have plenty of targets to fling at and lose all his arrows. :) Actually, he was kind of early in the game of planting stuff to attract deer and it might/should have worked if i could have shot that old non sighted Ben Pearson 45lb recurve just a tad bit better. lol It was amazing just how darn close i could come to hitting a deer with that rig but not actually hitting one, time and again it was. I got them bucks later when the rifle opened though, me, a friend, or a family member, we'd usually get the ones worth getting. By then, i had a dozen bucks or so scattered all over those hills, named and pegged.

Looking back, i guess i could have took picture of them i had patterned and sold maps and stuff telling right where the bucks were. 110-120 Blacktails $1100. 120-130" Bucks $1500.+, Na! :)

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom