campfires

C

champset

I was wondering how many of you bowhunters have campfires during the hunt? I never have before because of the smokey smell that gets into clothes, hair, etc.

No fires at our camp. Even though 2 of the people I hunt with smoke, lol.
Michael

I have always had campfires. I have had does come within 20 feet of me before without running off. I just pay attention to the wind direction. And use scent eliminators.

I'm with AZ, regardless if you have clothes that smell like smoke, our just sweat and human scent you still have to pay attention to wind direction. I always take my "hunting" clothes off and put something else on to hang out by a fire, helps a little.

You have had does come close??? But have you ever had a buck that close with your clothes smelling like a fire pit... or a big bull elk sniffing that close... I wouldnt take the chance ... no fires at our camp.

I agree with AZbowhunter.. Fires are just fine.. pay attention to the wind and use some sort of scent block, or elk Urine smelly stuff

Who has time to make a fire? After a long day afield, its time to make a quick meal and rest up before that alarm clock goes off way too early in the morning. I also hate smelling like smoke.

I enjoy them often, when time permits. Especially during winter hunts when it feels good and daylight hours are abundant! Nothing like sitting around a campfire with good hunting partners, discussing lifes ups and downs. (Man that sounds like a country song) :)

I do like others have suggested and wear "camp clothes" while cooking around camp and enjoying a fire. I also bath/shower daily while bowhunting, eliminating as much human odor as possible. However, hunting downwind is the best solution. Haven't seen many animals smell you against the wind currents.

As some of you may know, some of our bowhunting forefathers (Fred Bear, Saxon Pope, etc.) purposely took on the odor of woodsmoke about their person. They believed it was a natural smell in the woods during this time which was prior to the "Smokey the Bear" campaign. Can't argue with their success I guess. That's my .02 worth anyhow. :)

BOHNTR )))------------->

camp fires smells mean nothing to an elk or deer.
the smell of burning wood is a natural thing.
and is one of the best coverups you can have.
most of you young pups hav been fed so much garbage about smells that it stinks.
two years ago i sat on a burn line that was a good 4 or 5 years old.
i could kick up the soil and still smell the smoke.
while sitting there i had 2 cows walk down the trail, walking into the wind. They passes 6 feet from my purch amungst some old root snarls.
and didn't even bat a eye.
I had sat around the camp fire the previous evening and filled my cloths with the smell.
now you tell me.
i had a buddy who is an old indian, not that neans any thing, show me a trick in getting the elk to come down early in the evening si to first locate where they are bedded then set up, upwind and build a small camp fire. so that the smoke drifts to them. beleive it or not they will come.
somke bullcrappy,
now i could understand it if they said don't piss into the wind or crap on you shoe,
But smoke give me a break,

A question to all you hunters that dont have camp fires.. What do you cook your food over? Do you all have 5th wheels and a stove in the trailer? Colman Stove? or just not cook food and eat other things?

Just wondering?

No, I don't have a campfire. Every year about 2 weeks before the season opens the Forest service put a "no fire" restriction on. And it really pi$$es me off. I like fires, there is just something about them.

But for the most part by the time I get back to camp it's soup in a can, piece of bread and in the sack.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom