Camping During G3 Hunt

V

VanSlyke

Are the camp grounds near onion valley open during the G3 hunt? I am sure it depends on weather. I am looking for a place to park my 5th wheel for the hunt. Any info would be great. Thanks

Both the County campgrounds are open year round. One in Independence, one at Taboose Creek. Either will give you plenty of access to G3.......since they are in the G3. $14 a night, with a weekly rate, I ain't sure of.

PM me if you want more info.

Both have concrete out house facilities but water is off in winter.

Keep in mind that there are no restaurants open before about 7 am in the entire area.

".....but by God, I never said a word to a pig!"

Or, stay at The Mt. Williamson Motel. That ol' gal could use the help. Then you don't have to mess with a trailer. Plus, free breakfasts, and she knows how to cook. Great coffee, too!! Just my two cents. Colder'n hell in that campground in December. pc

Thanks guys. I will look in to these. My father and I have put in for G3 for 10 years. Should be a fun hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-11 AT 07:05AM (MST)[p]>Or, stay at The Mt. Williamson
>Motel. That ol' gal could
>use the help. Then you
>don't have to mess with
>a trailer. Plus, free breakfasts,
>and she knows how to
>cook. Great coffee, too!! Just
>my two cents. Colder'n hell
>in that campground in December.
> pc

Your serious? it really is cold? Don said the weather was balmy in December and usually the guys were hunting in t-shirts by late morning. Now you got me wondering if my plan to roll out my sleeping bag and sleep under the stars is not such a good idea.

IN 2008 THERE WAS A FOOT AND A HALF ON SNOW DOWN LOW AT THE TABOOSE CREEK AREA.........YOUR PECKER WILL TAKE A BEATING.....YD.

PC I agree Paul & Henrette Kenn @ the Mt. Williamson
Nice people. Stayed there when I drew in 2004.
Your also close to Dan Reid the butcher hes in Independence
also. Good luck on your hunt.

I might could find some "local talent" to share the sleeping bag with Jim, assuming of course, that he has a bear tag.

When a friend was hunting the G3 in '07, The high temperature on opening weekend was 36 degrees with the mornings around 15 degrees. When I hunted in 09 the lows were 30 degrees on opening weekend with the highs pushing 50. Be ready for all weather conditions. Bring your snow packs as well as your swimming suit, you will be set.

Paul Kenn had a stroke in early summer of '09. He is wheel chair bound but he still seems sharp.

I heard the Donner Party made an attempt to go over Taboose but then headed north until they found warmer weather.
I don't recall getting much sleep during my hunt. If any of you lucky guys happen to get near Model 70 guy's camp be sure and show a little consideration and walk quietly so ya don't wake him up. Maybe even take an extra blanket or two to throw over him.

Sleep?.......nobody sleeps till the liver is in my ice chest!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom