Camping on Boysen Resevoir

npaden

I drew a Unit 75 antelope tag and plan on getting there Sunday afternoon after the bulk of the shooting is over and settle in for a few days of hunting before heading on west some more to hunt elk.

I've driven through the area a couple times and don't think I will have too much difficulty finding the antelope, but I've read differing stories on setting up camp. I'll be pulling a travel trailer and am trying to decide between parking it in one of the paid campsites along the lake or finding a spot out on BLM land to park the trailer somewhere along a road.

I'll have a couple 5 year olds with me so closer to the lake is probably the way to go even if that means driving farther in the morning to get to where I want to hunt.

Do the campgrounds along the lake fill up on opening day weekend? Would they start clearing out by Sunday afternoon? Any particular one that is better or worse than the others?

If anyone has any other advice they want to throw my way I'm more than willing to listen. Right now my plans are to pretty much look on google earth and land ownership maps to find the least accessible public lands and hope that by Monday morning after the weekend rodeo that the big bucks that are left are going to be there, although looking at the map there really aren't any spots very far from the road.

For sure if anyone has any advice on camping spots I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks, Nathan

your by the res. so my advice is lock everything and anything you value keep it with you at all times.... i know people that have been robbed pretty good.

I see we have some racist on here!!! Lived on the REZ for 41 years and can say I have never been robbed pretty good!!!

Just about everyone I know who lives in that neck of the woods refers to it as the rez. Guess that makes just about everyone around there a racist. What a crock...

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-12 AT 09:29AM (MST)[p]Racists my rear! Just stating facts and if you followed the theft reports for that immediate area you would know better and retract that statement! It's just like any area nowadays where people congregate and don't lock up generators and other expensive stuff that can be pawned or resold for good money to get drugs, alcohol, etc.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-12 AT 08:42AM (MST)[p]Nathan,

The campground along the Reservoir will more than likely be open and the campground below the dam is a nice place to camp too. As far as camping on BLM land, there are plenty of spots to camp, just a matter of what you are looking for...No need to worry about being near the "rez", I would worry more about the "illegals" working in the gas fields before anyone from the "rez". Never had a problem in that area whether camping or hunting, so I wouldn't be concerned other than the fact the bulk of the shooting won't end for a couple of weeks. I would be there to hunt opening morning and get the heck out of there or come hunt after your elk hunt is done. Have fun and good luck!

>Just about everyone I know who
>lives in that neck of
>the woods refers to it
>as the rez. Guess
>that makes just about everyone
>around there a racist.
>What a crock...

It wasn't the rez comment that was racist, it was the fact that because your'e near the rez your'e gonna get ripped off... Still haven't seen any facts topgun... Call it what you want it was a racist comment...

Maybe in your mind they were racist comments and I can't change that, so I guess we'll all just have to agree to disagree. I'll leave it with the statement that any time you're carrying valuable gear and it's near a population center, whether Res. or South Chicago, keep the friggin stuff locked, or even with you if at all possible, to keep it from coming up missing. Are ya happy now?

>I wouldn't
>be concerned other than the
>fact the bulk of the
>shooting won't end for a
>couple of weeks. I would
>be there to hunt opening
>morning and get the heck
>out of there or come
>hunt after your elk hunt
>is done. Have fun and
>good luck!

I was thinking the bulk of the shooting would be over in the first 48 hours and things would slow down after the weekend.

I'm throwing the antelope hunt in on the way to my elk hunt since the elk opener in the unit I hunt is on a Thursday this year. I won't be able to get there for opening morning due to another committment, so I figured I would just skip the opening weekend and hunt Monday through Wednesday for lopes then move over west to hunt elk on the opener there.

Trying to fit my traveling in on the weekends as much as possible so I don't have to take more time off work. Doesn't leave much time for hunting, but where I elk hunt if you don't get something on opening day your chances go way down after that.

Been going over maps and everything I can long distance for now.

There sure are a lot of roads in that unit, I don't know if there is a single spot in the unit you can get 2 miles off the road. I think I may try to use the 3D feature on Google Earth and try to find spots that may only be a 1/2 mile or so off the road but you can't see them from the road.

I also double checked the harvest stats for the unit and it was showing 88.7% success last year and one interesting thing I noticed was according to Wyoming Game and Fish on their survey only 25% of the licensed hunters were out there on opening day. That doesn't sound like the complete zoo that I would have been expecting. Maybe it will be even less after the weekend.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-12 AT 06:52PM (MST)[p]nathan---Sorry, but I completely missed the fact that you were going to hunt unit 75. That unit is huge and is almost all public land and there really aren't many roads, per se. There are a lot of two tracks that aren't very good for other than a quad if that's what you mean when you say roads. If you camp way over by the reservoir on the western boundary you are he** and gone from even the center of 75. Just a suggestion, but if I were you, I would go up a ways off the main highway on the southern boundary at Moneta on the Moneta/Lysite Road and that way you can go any direction and have plenty of huntable land. With the way the land lays in the unit, it is great for spot/stalk and I can almost guarantee that you won't have to worry about hunting pressure. Just don't go too far up in there with the trailer and have some chains for your truck in case you get some moisture. 75 is what I would refer to as a blue chip antelope unit even without looking at Eastmans magazine, LOL, as I hunt not too far north of there.

Also go up to Lysite and go west out of that small town towards Bonneville which is close to Boysen. You will be on the north side of Badwater Creek. We hunted just north of Lysite back in 1996 and one evening we took that road back to Shosoni and seen a number of Lopes out there. I was told before that the best time to hunt this unit was LATE as the game heads towards Boysen area.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

i am down for a job at lost cabin which is by lysite in the marathon field and i been seeing some monster goats running around.

the deer in lysite walk in buildings and you can pet them. i never seen anything like it

Went with a buddy who had that tag a few years ago, it was several days into season. The smart bucks develop tactics and one of those is to get on a high point right close to the Highway and watch all the tards try to figure out how to get you from below. He passed on a booner that would have been a slam dunk because " I don't like an audience" I would have pulled up the hiway out of sight of buck... cross fence slip over the top of ridge and drug my booner 4-500 yards to the truck! Those goats are used to the traffic, and they also use it as a safety net. You can use it to your advantage without breaking ANY rules. Good luck

Nfh
that is pretty cool bout the lysite deer. I seen that back in 2010 when i went thru.

Thanks for the input guys.

I have been adjusting my plans and probably am not going to camp on the reservoir any more. I think we are just going to send the wife and kids on into Powell to hang out with my buddy's wife while we try to notch my antelope tag.

I've read some other stuff that sounds like there could be some good bucks in the northeastern part of the unit, it looks a bit hilly to me in there, but that doesn't mean there won't be antelope there.

I've driven that highway a few times and saw PLENTY of antelope right off the highway as well, even during hunting season. Looking over the maps I actually thought that might be a possible option on getting dropped off on the highway and going after one if we see a good one.

I'm in good shape and in that type of terrain I don't see why I wouldn't be able to put in 15 - 20 miles in a day if I need to, but looking at the map I'm not sure that will be necessary. I grew up in Northeast Montana so I still consider a 2 track a road. If it's on the map, it's a road. I don't think I'm going to bring an ATV, but if it's not raining I wouldn't think I would have too much trouble with my 4wd pickup. It already has dents on the bottom of the running boards and has had the trailer hitch light hookup pulled off before from manuvering on some "roads" back around the Missouri breaks.

I've got a good spotter and right now I'm planning on just getting some miles on the truck the first day I'm there driving around the 2 tracks and if I see something worth going after then going for it. If that doesn't pan out then I'll just have my buddy drop me off and start walking. That's worked well for me in the past on antelope. They seem to get used to looking along the roads instead of off in the middle of nowhere on foot.

Anyone know what cellphone coverage is like around there? I think it should be fair to marginal along the highway, but I wouldn't expect much coverage very far off the highway. Not sure with the oil traffic though.

I applied for the tag as an afterthought and wasn't expecting to draw it so I don't have near the time committed to it that it deserves. I would love to tag a 14"er with decent mass somewhere in the upper 70's and think that should be doable, if lightning strikes I might have a chance at something better.

Practicing my shooting right now and nailing down my BDC circles. Practicing to 400 yards, but would like to keep it under 300.

Thanks again for the input.

Nathan

I'm sure if you do what you're talking about that you'll be able to do some stalks on some fine bucks if you have several days to spend looking around. I have Verizon service and even north of there where I hunt I can get cell reception if I get high in an area. I think you will find the same with the towers that are along there between Casper and the towns heading west. I hope we can both post up a buck that will break 80" in October. Good luck to ya---MIKE

Well, I'm about to get everything loaded and head that way first thing Saturday morning.

Getting a little worried as some posts I've seen on a few other forums makes it sound like the numbers of antelope are way down from the last couple years in that area.

Never have really figured out where I'm going to park my travel trailer, but leaning toward somewhere not too far off the main gravel road heading north out of Waltman. There are a few walk in areas around there and plenty of BLM land to park on.

Any last minute nuggets of wisdom anyone wants to share?

Thanks, Nathan

well i just finished my out of town work there. i was driving from riverton to lysite every day for 4 weeks. seen some good looking bucks.. one thing i took note on was very doe/fawn ratio. i didnt see very many fawns... good luck!!!

I was just in that area last week 2 different days and there is no shortage of lopes around there, but there is a large lack of cell coverage had a at&t and verizion phone in the truck and from shoshoni to powder river I could get the verizion phone to text sometimes and the at&t phone made a good paper weight :)

Shot straight and you'll be golden

Well there were plenty of antelope around that's for sure.

Got there about 10 am Sunday morning and saw antelope alongside highway 20 on public land before we even got to where we were going to drop the trailer off. Stopped a couple times on the side of the road and glassed, but nothing too exciting so we just kept going to get the trailer parked.

Ended up parking the trailer just north of Lysite on a small resevoir about a 1/2 mile north of town and ate lunch and decided to drive around a bit and maybe get the lay of the land from a boots on the ground perspective.

One thing for sure, there were plenty of antelope in the unit. Even getting the trailer unhitched there was a herd of 15 or so antelope just over the fence on private property. We drove around for 3 hours on 2 track roads and saw probably 100 antelope and 15 or 20 bucks. One thing that really surprised me was that they didn't seem very skittish at all. I had 2 average sized bucks about 12"ers stand and look at us with the truck stopped from less than 100 yards away. Saw one prospect buck but it was probably 1,000 yards away and pushing a doe but with the boys and the wife with me I decided not to go after him and he was heading away from us anyway at a pretty good clip.

Ended up on one 2 track road that was marked on the maps and the gps, but not very well marked on the ground at all. The wife didn't enjoy that part much at all. The boys really had a hard time understanding why I wasn't shooting the antelope we were seeing and I kept telling them I was looking for a bigger buck, and after passing on about the 10th buck they seemed to lose interest and after some back seat whining they ended up playing video games instead of helping me look for antelope.

We got out to a main road finally and headed back to where the trailer was parked. I bet we saw another 100 antelope on the way there and a couple slightly nicer bucks. Most of those were on private land, but if I had seen a really nice one I was thinking I could watch them and see if they decided to venture onto the public land across the road.

We got back to the trailer and they hung out a little bit while we figured what to do. They were ready to go visit our friends in Powell, and they were running late so we ended up heading up to Thermopolis to meet them and swap stuff out. My friend Mike was coming to hunt with me the next few days while the boys and my wife were going to hang out at their house in Powell.

On the way over we drove along Badwater road and a couple of game wardens were checking folks. We didn't have anything to check, but we talked about 10 or 15 minutes and they were very helpful. One of them said that this was his unit and he had done the counts in August and that there weren't very many large bucks due to the drought conditions that they had this year. He said they had only checked one really good buck, but most of what they were seeing were 12" and under with a smattering of 13" and 14"ers. I was starting to second guess passing on some of the bucks we had seen earlier now, especially since it would have been neat to share that with the boys.

We swapped everything out in Thermopois and headed back to the unit about 5:00. The thought process was to head back to the eastern side of the unit and see if anything jumped out at us. The light was very odd for the time of day as a front was coming in and it was overcast, plus the smoke in the air from the fires almost made it seem like twilight, but it was still well over an hour before sunset.

Getting back to the unit we saw one good buck almost in the city limits of Shoshoni well onto private land and several other bucks that were all that average 12" or so. We went by several groups of antelope off of highway 20 on public land but nothing to get excited about. We ran out of public land and it was starting to get closer to actual sunset so we took off on a nice gravel road going north off the highway.

The crazy thing was that the nice gravel road wasn't on the map, although we had been on some terrible 2 track roads that were on the map. Sure enough a few miles later and we were dead ended at a gas well pad. Oh well, we backtracked and ended up on another 2 track road that was on the map and headed east. Sun was setting now and we were several miles in on the 2 track and had several more miles to get out and we tried to decide what to do. We ended up crossing some private land and checking out some public on the other side of it and it was getting close to dark now. We'd seen several more antelope, but again, nothing exciting. We had maybe 10 or 15 minutes left before dark and we decided to just head back to the highway. We turned around and hadn't gone more than 1/4 mile and a buck and 2 does popped up onto the ridge we were on from the bottom in front of us.

We stopped and checked them out and the buck was decent. After talking with the game warden at the check point, I was starting to think my standards might be set a little too high, I was looking for a monster and this buck wasn't a monster. I got out of the truck and actually chambered a round for the first time that day and walked up a little way to check him out. He saw us and looked at us, but didn't seem too concerned even though we were only 250 yards away. I glassed him some more and debated and decided not to shoot. They ended up trotting off in the direction we were headed and then stopped about 400 yards away just a few feet off the 2 track. Walking back to the truck I was still second guessing myself. This buck was tall and had good mass, just not very good cutters, he was obviously a mature buck and the best one I'd seen all day and I'd seen 25 or 30 bucks that day. I told my buddy that if we drove up there to within 100 yards and that buck was still there I would shoot him. We got in the truck and drove toward them and stopped at 100 yards away or so and he was just standing there with his does. I got out and set up and he starts walking toward us. No idea why, but I guess this buck just had a death wish. He angles a little bit sideways so he is quartering to me and I punched a hole in him with my 7 mag. He wheeled around and ran about 20 yards and then went down.

Walking up to him there wasn't any ground shrinkage. I had guessed him at around 14" and decent mass and he was every bit of that. Here's the glory shots.

2012_Pronghorn.sized.jpg

2012_Pronghorn2.sized.jpg

He had a really dark face and nice cape. Ended up measuring him out at 15" on the right side and 15 1/2" on the left side with 6 5/8" bases. Cutters obviously the weakest feature at 4 4/8" on the right and 4 2/8" on the left. Green gross score was 78 1/8".

Not a monster, but I'm happy with him. Looking at his jawbone, his teeth were worn almost to the gumline so he was for sure a mature buck. Not sure how he got that old as stupid as he was acting, but love will make a fellow do some pretty stupid things I guess.

Have him caped out and in the freezer, planning on getting a shoulder mount done on him when I get home.

That's it for the first part of my hunt. Heading west now to chase some Wapiti on my general tag.

Nathan

Great write up! I suppose if it was all about the inches, he might fall short, but he is a nice looking buck and will make a beautiful mount if that is what you decided to do. Thanks for taking us on the hunt with you.

Great story and good looking buck. I will be heading over there next week with my brother and daughter. Where did you end up camping? Last time we just camped on BLM on the eastern side of the zone but we were thinking about Boysen too for a change.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom