Camping on the Paunsaugunt?

Bill_in_MI

With a premium LE any weapon deer tag heading my way, I'm making my hunt plans with a LITTLE excitement.

I've received some help and offers for help already, so THANK YOU.

I think I want to bring my Alaknak and stove and camp out.

Any thoughts on where, any area north of 89. I'll drive around and figure it out when I get there easy enough, but thought I'd ask.

Thx
Bill

If I were you I would just drive around once you get there and find a good spot. I grew up in Orderville. I have spent A LOT of time in the Johnson Canyon area.

Dillon

Check the Seaman Canyon Road, east of the Johnson Canyon Road, north off Highway 89. Numerous DYI camping spots along the Seaman Road.

May or may not be the best camping area, until the later part of the hunt. If you have the premium tag are you planning to hunt archery, muzzleloader and rifle, or just one of the three?

DC

I'll be there a couple of days before the rifle season 10/17-10/25

I'd like to keep this once in a lifetime tag an adventure by camping out and immersing myself in the entire hunt.

Thx
Bill

LAST EDITED ON May-25-15 AT 08:12PM (MST)[p]Sorry, I thought the Premium term meant that the hunter could hunt all three weapons seasons, archery, muzzy, and rifle. My mistake.

As dillion mentioned, there are lots of places to camp on the unit. Hundreds of miles of two track roads and ATV authorized trails, and as far as I know you can still camp any where you want, so long as you stay on designated roads with your vehicle.

I like the Seaman Canyon Road because it's fairly central on the south end of the unit.

Will you have an ATV of some kind, because you're headed for a pure, and I mean pure sand, desert. 4x 4 trucks can get around but not as well as ATV/UTVs. Diesel trucks are marginal, due to the weight. Regardless, bring a shovel, a high lift jack, two or three tow straps and a com-a-long. You may not need it.........I have, many times, before I started using ATV/UTVs.

If you're not comfortable shooting out to 300 and 400 yards, (coming from Michigan???) it might be a good idea to spend some time shooting at those kinds of ranges. There is a lot of wide open sage country there, as well as thick pinion/juniper forests, thick enough to require hands and knees access. Shooting close and shooting far are both very possible situations.

It's a magical place, you'll fall in love with it. No need for concern, just come prepared for the conditions and you will get to live out all the fun of a Paunsaugunt mule deer hunt.

Maybe the most fun of all is the anticipation, every day, every minute, that the next deer you see will have a massive set of antlers, because.................you just might!

4882pauns.jpg

Here is a website with a few bucks from the area that a gentleman from down that way took, just in case your not sufficiently motivated yet. ;-)

http://www.muleyphotos.com/Sam-Carpenter/Mule-Deer

DC

Thank you Lumpy. I will have my Quad and will keep it on the trails/roads to avoid any local tune ups.

I have a Tundra TRD with wider tires and will bring a 12v pump in case I have to let some air out if things get western.

I bring the other things you listed.

Very pumped.

Bill

PS- I've killed a antelope at 298 but do not have much practice at that distance and beyond. So that is definitely on my to do list.

I just picked up a Swaro 3.5-18x44 Z5 to top my tried and true custom WinM70 300WSM. The clarity, repeatability, should help me with those 1st/Last light shot opps.

I'll be shooting 180gr Accubonds

Lumpys photo is a good visual for the Pauns rifle hunt. A good strategy is to hunt the main migration routes off the pinks whites and reds all shown in Lumps photo. You can pick a vantage point and watch the actual trails or hunt the country under the trails as the deer fan out. Alot of the deer summer on the Pauns plateau ( pinks) and work there way down to their winter range in Oct . The winter range extends from below the pinks all the way down to the North Kaibab. I would camp obove the whites for the rifle hunt. The deer start migrating in early oct depending on when the feed freezes on top. Im right here in Kanab . My handle is one of the migration rts off the reds :) Weve had some good spring rains . It should be a good year for max antlers. Hope that helps. If your going DIY I can help you with some specific areas . Either way Enjoy its a a rare opportunity.

Thx Fin,

I will be going DIY, or more accurately with help from those that have had experience in the unit before. I'll be driving out my self and will get to the unit a few days early.

I would love to get your insights.

please email me!

Thx
Bill Martin
[email protected]

Bill,

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b..._thread&om=24773&forum=DCForumID6&archive=yes

The deer I posted here in 2013 were taken during the rut, along the deer fence that parallels Highway 89, east of the Seaman Canyon Road.

I'm not a photographer, nor do I live close enough to spend the rut on the unit, taking pictures, but I try to get down once each fall. I missed 2014, went to the Henry Mt. unit instead.

At any rate, for what it;s worth, here is a variety of what I have from two years ago, post-rifle hunt from the unit.

DC

This is great, thank you guys.

Vanilla, I'm pouring over the maps now.

Fin, found the feature you mention lol and look forward to hearing from you later in the week.

Bill

My Dad had the tag last year and he mentored my youngest son. It was his first deer he has shot. We went down a few days early to scout and saw deer from below the pink cliffs all the way to the highway. They were really scattered out. The fish and game said the year before that 90% of the deer killed on 2013 rifle hunt were killed down by the fence. Here are a couple of pictures.

4908rscn3786.jpg

9653dscn3760.jpg

2447rscn3787.jpg

A perfect example of why I say score is just a number. Many would scoff at shooting a 170 buck on the Pauns. But that buck is a stud! That mass is just cool. Great buck...one to be proud of.

Agreed Vanilla.

Please share more photos guys.

I've only been on one other dedicated muley hunt before, so I am living the dream and am already on cloud nine.

I cant say thank you enough to the guys that have reached out to me.

Bill

Bill, congratulation on your draw. We go down there every year either before or during the hunts even without a tag. I can't add much to what has already been written, except this: Each year is a new year and those really large buck are few and far between. I would suggest more scouting days before the hunt or you may waste several days before you find how far most of the buck have moved. remember you are hunting a migration herd. If you are where the guide services are, you have found the large bucks. By then they will have them all named. They spotlight by night and have eyes everywhere by day. Last year when we where down there, we found the guide services by the fence more than not.

Well guys it's getting close.

I'll leave Monday, arrive Tuesday and find/set up camp.

(Any other thoughts on camping spots central to the unit are appreciated).

This will leave me 3 days to cruise the roads and check out my waypoints marking high spots overlooking the gaps.

Any news/photos on some bucks that have been killed this year?

How did the moisture finish off the antler growth?

So pumped right now.

Bill

My dad has a rifle tag after 16 years of applying, we will be down starting next wednesday. Antler Growth finished great and looks to be a good year as far as that goes. Weather has been above average, we will see how that affects the hunt. Could be a hard hunt if temperatures continue the way they are. If you see a White Tahoe and F-150 stop in and shoot the crap for a min.

Have fun Bill and travel safe.

After your dandy Az. bow bull harvest in September, you are certainly on the path for another great harvest on the Paugns!

Robb

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom