Can an elk jump the bowstring?

ThePeon

I was wondering if an elk can possibly jump the bowstring? Most people I have talked to or articles I have read act like mainly just deer will but not an elk.

The beauty of hunting elk with a bow is that you can get close. They also happen to be huge and provide quite a sizeable vitals area. I shot a cow staring at me at 70 yards, full frontal (my favorite) and the arrow buried in her back hip. She didn’t flinch. I shot a bull at 35 yards, broadside, who jumped the string as he was a little weary already but caused a heart shot placement to be a double lung situation that ended 70 yards, or so, later. They definitely can jump the string but unlike an Axis deer that can jump the string, flip around, do 30 pushups and make breakfast before that arrow gets there, elk don’t tend to be as fast.

I've seen it twice; both times the bull had spotted the hunter at full draw and were just waiting for the guys to drop the string. Both bulls were long gone before the arrow even got there. 18 and 43 yards. The 18 yard shot was back in the early 80's, hatchet cam so not too fast. Nothin but dust when that arrow got there.

Thanks guys, the reason I'm asking is because I called a bull in a couple years back and he hung up around 42 yards looking for what was calling to him and I think he was getting kinda nervous and I thought I had him dead to rights when he turned broadside. Well the arrow was pretty much perfect left and right but went about 10 inches high and I still puzzle over it and looked for him part of 2 days. I felt like i made a real good shot. I almost wonder if he was getting skiddish not seeing what he thought should be a cow there somewhere and dropped at the sound of my bow. The only consolation was I think he was fine because I think it got that void above the lungs and didn't hurt him much.

Thanks guys, the reason I'm asking is because I called a bull in a couple years back and he hung up around 42 yards looking for what was calling to him and I think he was getting kinda nervous and I thought I had him dead to rights when he turned broadside. Well the arrow was pretty much perfect left and right but went about 10 inches high and I still puzzle over it and looked for him part of 2 days. I felt like i made a real good shot. I almost wonder if he was getting skiddish not seeing what he thought should be a cow there somewhere and dropped at the sound of my bow. The only consolation was I think he was fine because I think it got that void above the lungs and didn't hurt him much.
There really isn’t a void. If you shot high, you likely just hit him in the back straps. They bleed at first and then dry up. A little sore for a while but they will live.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom