Can I draw a tag?

JPickett

Long Time Member
In Wyoming with no points? I know I could go look myself but you guys will tell me. What I mean is there any sort of random chance for like a region G tag? I know the answer is a snowballs chance in hell but wondering if technically there’s a chance at a random draw at all?

In Wyoming with no points? I know I could go look myself but you guys will tell me. What I mean is there any sort of random chance for like a region G tag? I know the answer is a snowballs chance in hell but wondering if technically there’s a chance at a random draw at all?
One would think Joe Pickett would know this off the top of his head! ?

Aren't there a little less units to hunt where you'd have better odds to draw? Is G really THAT good of a unit? The difference in regular to special draw is surprising. We've drawn a deer tag each of the last 2 years in special with no points. It is costly but we hunted deer in Wyoming. That is the name of the game.

Aren't there a little less units to hunt where you'd have better odds to draw? Is G really THAT good of a unit? The difference in regular to special draw is surprising. We've drawn a deer tag each of the last 2 years in special with no points. It is costly but we hunted deer in Wyoming. That is the name of the game.
Define good.

I was using G as a general example for my question. I guess I was just wondering if buying points every year and not putting in for an actual draw was just wasting an off chance at drawing a tag with dumb luck or if there’s really no chance at all until you have X amount of points

I was using G as a general example for my question. I guess I was just wondering if buying points every year and not putting in for an actual draw was just wasting an off chance at drawing a tag with dumb luck or if there’s really no chance at all until you have X amount of points
I drew a late season Utah Monroe elk tag in 2020 as a NR with 10 points so there is no sense in NOT putting in for a tag and only buying points. It's not like you'll get lucky, draw the tag and turn it back in! What are you losing by putting in for a tag?

I also drew a late season deer tag in NV that had 3 NR tags allotted when I had 1 point. It happens....

I’ve had a couple buddies burn all their points one year for G, then drawn it again the very next year in the random. It’s a long shot, but…….

Obviously if you apply for 1 in 100 draw odd units the draw stats indicate you have a poor chance to draw in your lifetime. Each unit is likely different and can change somewhat from 1 year to the next. Almost across the board, the demand for high demand limited tags is increasing and draw odds are decreasing each and every year for nonres DIY/OYO hunters!

Another consideration is you never know what may happen 5 to 10 years from now in Wyo. Using the Big 5 species as a great example. Draw odds were cut in 1/2 for all nonres since 1/2 the tags quotas were suddenly changed. In the same case, Wyo res draw odds improved a fraction of a fraction of a %!

Something that can dramatically change draw odds is winterkill, fawn crop, disease, predators, etc. In years where there are high numbers of critters there generally are more tags issued. You may notice Wyo deer and antelope numbers are struggling across Wyo so there generally are fewer tags issued than a few years ago.

In any given year nonres are issued only a few tags. Landowner tags are filtered off the top of the nonres quotas and landowner tags are currently unlimited to those that qualify. This may leave few to 0 tags issued to nonres in the draw....especially in high demand elk units with private land.

There's a lot of considerations when deciding if it's worth building and buying preference pts or applying for slim draw odd units. Obviously each state is a little different and may offer different options. One thing for certain, it isn't getting any easier to draw high demand, limited tags!

Alright, we’ll one more lazy ass question that I could go look up myself. I’m assuming you need to buy a license to actually apply as opposed to just buying a point correct?

I put in every year in several states for tags I will never catch up to in the points game. I was lucky enough to draw a UT Elk wagon the random. Im not buying any more points in WY except for deer.

First, glad you asked the question as I had never thought about it.

Second, I thought the deer point was $40. I may be confusing it with another state though.

Sometimes random just comes down to luck. Put in for NV anterless elk 4 times as individuals. Girlfriend drew 3 out of 4. We each drew the last time we put in. Me with 3 points and her with 1 point. So my random number was drawn 10 times and hers twice.

I'm not really sure what the question is......

You can definitely draw a deer license in Wyoming with 0 points. Lots of regions and area licenses can be had. The area licenses are almost all for whitetails, but there are many regions you can still draw with no points.

You got an Etcho-Sketch???:cool:

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom