Canon GL2

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Ok, here's a review on something I don't sell from the site here. The Canon GL2.

I've owned this camera for 3-1/2 years and recorded about 12 hours of film on it. My setup also includes the Century Optics doubler that is a must for filming game, as it gives you a 40X optical zoom and allows you to get pretty good video out to 300-400 yards.

I have not had any problems with the camera (knock on wood). Although, when it's really cold (below 10), I have had the camera report dirty heads and lost video as a result. My guess is that below 10 degrees is just about too cold. I now try to keep it close to my body and a bit warmer when filming in real cold weather.

I like this camera because it does offer good long range video, yet the camera is fairly small and lightweight. I usually pack it throughout most hunts. The heavy tripod is still a hassle though. It's needed to get good, steady video, but a pain to pack. I use the Bogen Tripod and Head, weighs about 8-1/2 pounds. Looking for another affordable option.

One feature that I really like with the GL2 is the still pictures it takes. Though they are only 1.7 meg., that feature works well. I hope there is eventually a high-quality video camera that takes 5-6 meg photos. That would be awesome!
As it is now, I usually opt to take photos with the GL2 rather than the Lumix FZ10 that I have. It's just too much of a hassle to pack both cameras, especially while hunting.

That's my opinion of the GL2, what do you other guys who own it think?

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Iv'e had a GL1 since 2001. It's been a great video camera. I can't count the hours of footage I have taken with it. If or when it konks out on me, I'll be putting a GL2 into the budget.

I'd imagine that the GL2 is the most widely used camera for filming hunts throughout the country for home, TV, and DVD use.

I've had mine for 2 years now and have packed it from Alaska to Mexico on more than a couple of trips. It's a great little camera that takes incredible footage.

I've filmed a little bit with the XL1 and XL2. The XLs do offer some advantages, but in my opinion not enough for the average hunter or individual interested in getting into film making.

They're too big and heavy for most of what I like to do.

I believe the next generation of GLs is just around the corner-HD and solid state recording. I've noticed that a guy can buy GL2s new now for around $1750 with a $250 rebate.

It's one %%$#@ of a camera for $1500. I'm thinking about buying another just for a backup.

I think its an awesome camera. I never found a doubler that was any good that I could afford but it does great with the stock lense I think. I have a friend who has some of the XL Camera's that he shoots commercials with. He said he shoots footage with the GL2 as well and there's just not that much of a difference. They've held their value really well to over the last few years.

I use a GL2 as well as an XL1. The GL2 is great for hunts in the west where there is a ton of hiking. The XL1 is better for tree stand hunts in my opinion. The one problem with the GL2 is that when recording you can hear the tape gears turning. This can be fixed by using a shot gun mic, which I use, and it works great. It makes the GL2 have sound quality like the XL1. My biggest disappointment in the XL1 is the fact it cannot take pictures like the GL2. The doubler for the XL1 is a lot better in size and how it attaches to the camera than the GL2 in my opinion. They are both great and if I could take features from both it would be the ultimate camera.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom