Carbon Fiber Tri-Pod...

• Thread starter timberline_shedfreak24
  • Start date
T

timberline_shedfreak24

Anyone have one or used one? Price? Quality? Worth the $?

Timberline
47bc7e734e04c60a.jpg

http://www.timberlineoutfittersnevada.com/

I have a Gitzo Carbon Fiber tripod and love it. perfect for backpacking. weighs a little over 3 lbs. $350 for the tripod and $75 for a good bogan head.

I have an outdoorsmans medium tripod(outdoorsmans.com) with a bogen ball head and Bogen quick release system (Bogen 484RC2)
I couldnt be happier. This system is about $400.00
If you are serious about glassing, spend the $ on high end optics and a good tripod system before you spend it on fancy guns and other stuff. Just my opinion and 2 cents

I use the SLIK CF 613. Very light but works well with bino's and scope. If you want to stand up while glasses look at the SLIK CF 713. Both are very compact and light. I use a small manfrotto ballhead, and the outdoorsman attachment system. The setup is about half the weight of the outdoorsman tripod combination. I have used both systems mentioned and they both work great. If weight is a deciding factor the SLIK 613 is hard to beat.

I have the SLIK 613 CF with the jim white head.good for sitting down & glassing, but on the hind legs it shakes a bit.would buy it again.~Danny

Check eBay. I bought a used/modified Gitzo carbon fiber tripod for $100. It is lighter than anything I've seen at Cabelas/Sportsmans. It extends high enough to use it while sitting.

Band new Gitzo tripods sell for around $350.

3Toes

In one of the other tripod posts you mentioned the SLIK 613 when I was leaning to the outdoorsman setup. I am really leaning towards the same setup you mentioned.

You are definately correct on the weight difference, the SLIK and the manfrotto ballhead total 2lbs which according to MY research so far provides the best platform at the LOWEST weight.

My only issue is I can't find anyplace in Utah that sells the SLIK so I haven't had the chance to physically touch this pod (Allens no longer stocks the SLIK). How well built is the SLIK 613, is it built to last like the Outdoorsmans, Gitzo or K&K tripods?

Coues

You mentioned the back leg was shaky on the 613, will you give more details on this issue? How would you rate the durability of the SLIK 613?

I am getting the Swaro 65 ATS and that scope's balance is a little toward the rear of the scope anyway so the rear tripod leg issue may be null.
?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

Ditto on the Outdoorsmans Lightweight Tripod but I prefer their Pistol Grip Ball Head to the Bogen Manfrotto one. It is lighter and smoother and of course more expensive.

I could not be happier with my set up.

Wade Nelson
www.hardcoreoutdoor.com

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-08 AT 06:44PM (MST)[p]out 4 elk,I was talking about fully extended (standing up) a little shakey(in a slight breeze).I usualy glass sitting down, so no real problem.I would buy the same outfit again~Danny

Coues,

Understood, thanks for setting me straight.

I finally stopped analyzing everything and dropped the dough.

Ordered a Swaro ATS 65, SLIK 613 CF and a Manfrotto 484RCS mini ball. The whole package should be here next week.

Thanks for everybody that may have entertained one of my many tripod/scope questions over the past couple months.

Out4elk...

Sorry been gone a few days. I think you will like the set up. I have the same scope you mentioned. One of the features I really like about the tripod, many also have this feature, is I set two legs at the most horizontal angle and extend them fully out to the side. The thrid leg I keep at the normal angle. And extend it out in front as far as the terrain requires. This way I can sit almost under the tripod. It might sound strange but it is very comfortable. Add a rock or tree as a back rest and I have fallen asleep while glassing. With my 15's using a similar setup, except extending the front leg more. I can lean against a rock or tree and using the center height adjustment bring the bino's out away from the tripod. I'm not doing a very good job of describing this, but experiment with the leg angle adjustments and it will make more sense.

I ordered the Slik and Manfrotto ball head from B&H Photo with 3-5 day shipping it came to 280.00

A place called Tristate Photo something something had the SLIK for about 20.00 cheaper but their store reviews were horrible.

I could never get my hands on a SLIK 613 before buying but there was a lot of good talk about them all over the internet. 3toes and a couple other guys were big help from the hunting arena.

My biggest concern was quality+lightweight and if you look around there is plenty of quality but very few of those pods get under 2 lbs. The SLIK weighs 1.5lbs.

Wade

I finally clicked on your link and I like what you have going on with your site.

Thank you, Sir. We don't sell anything we really are just trying to promote what we think is the best gear. We are entertaining some offers to design new products though. Could be fun. Suggestions, especially from this group, are always welcomed.

Wade
www.hardcoreoutdoor.com

Received the scope/tripod/head from UPS this evening.

Had about a half hour of light left to test things out in. With the little time I spent with the SLIK I like it, seems very sturdy.

When my wife took the box from the UPS guy she hurry and opened it because she thought they sent me an empty box. HA!!

The only thing I thought was wierd was it had 1/4" threads on the center post and most tripods I have seen have 3/8". A thread bushing from Swarovski a friend had as an extra fixed that issue.

I will post more on this tripod when I get more use from it (This weekend)

Finally got my Slik 613cf tripod in for evaluation. My first impression is that it is very nice but I am still a little sceptical about wind and vibration. I will let you guys know what I think.

out4elk, you have had yours for a while now, what do you think about it?

Thanks.

Wade
www.hardcoreoutdoor.com

Overall I really like it and think that I will enjoy it for a long time. I do have a couple small issues. 1. The leg locks could have made a little smaller, they are slightly bulky. The twist lock design on my Pole Cat bipod is still my favorite.
2. Overall it provides an excellent base for my setup but if I extend the center column much it does get shaky. With the center column all the way down it is good to go.

IMO the tripod is well built and withstand the abuse we hunters often put our gear through. It is light and it packs really nice I haven't cursed anything while putting it in or taking it out of my pack.

Mine do as well but on my SLIK you hold the legs and lock them by turning the knobs. On the Pole Cat line of bipods you twist the legs themselves to lock/unlock the legs.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom