Cargo Trailer Pros/cons

oilcan

Long Time Member
So I am kicking around the idea of getting a Cargo trailer to haul my quad and gear and be a "mobile" camp. I am getting tired of sleeping in tents and don't want to haul a full size trailer all over the west.
So how many guys are doing this ? What size are you using ? Single or double axle ? One thing I was wondering was how the single axel compared to the double when going through gumbo type mud, would there be much difference in mud build up making it harder to pull ?
Thanks

One of my early mentors in hunting for bigger bucks, blew himself up using a trailer just as you mentioned here. He got back to his trailer-camp in a bad storm, Wy i think, and when he went to light his lantern, the trailer blew up blasting him 30-40 feet from what was the trailer. He suffered major injures.

Yes, this could have happened lots of ways in different rigs. He hasn't been on a serious hunt since then, that was maybe 10-12 years ago. I do think it a good idea but just be extra careful with your propane setup!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

One of my friends does this exact thing with all his 3 sons when they are riding ATV's and dirt bikes. I believe his is an 8'x16' trailer with the single side door. He did mount a small window on each side for ventilation. They mounted two 3' x 7' bunks on each side with hinges and support cables. After unloading all the machines, they can lower the bunks and roll out the sleeping bags and pads. Works great for their 2 and 3 day trips. If going on long hunting trips, they also take a 10'x12' canvas wall tent for a mess area. Pulls it with his Dodge 1500

My buddy in Sheridan, WY has a 7'x12' that we use for a camp when we want to get back in the boonies where my 19' trailer with plumbing lines and tanks under it might get torn to pieces. We also use it for storage and extra sleeping space near our main camp when friends come over for a weekend hunt. John fully insulated it and it has a side door at the right up toward the front and a ramp at the back. We have it set up so that one or two guys can sleep on cots and there is an upper bunk attached to one wall that is easily removed in a couple minutes with just a screw gun. He took that out recently and pulled it to Ohio to pick up a brush hog that his F-I-L gave him, so it's very versatile. We use a Big Buddy propane heater, have a 3 shelf metal setup attached to the front on one side and a small wood shelf for our microwave oven on the opposite side. It came with a screened roof dome that lets in light and John also put in both battery operated and AC lights in it that can be run off the truck battery or separate battery. With hooks up high along both sides to hang packs, binos, extra clothes, etc. it's really a cheap, handy way to go and sure beats a tent.

Went on a late cow hunt with a buddy that has an outfit like that. He said it worked fine bow hunting and camping that summer... But we froze our a$$es of even with a heater when it dropped to 3 deg. and we were in 1-1/2 feet of snow

Thanks guys
Toy haulers can be expensive trying to keep this around 4k
This will be mainly for early season hunts Antelope, archery elk and the Deer season here in California I do not foresee using it on any late/cold season Hunts.

I went with a v-nose snowmobile trailer that have the tires under the trailer for better ground clearance. I had it built and had them insulate it and install Windows and an rv connection on the outside so I can run a microwave inside. I love it, just put down a piece of outdoor carpet inside when I'm setup and either use an air mattress or a cot. I also installed led light bulbs inside to ease the battery draw.

Bruce we have done several of them using used fold down toy hauler type beds. we put a fold down table in the front, Propane bottle go on the tongue, Put in a hanging propane light. We find the beds at a Rv pick a part down here they run from a $125 on up. The trailers (8x16)that we put them in are usually double axles due to the load they are putting in them. A Roll up carpet is a nice touch so you have a nice floor to stand on after you unload Quads and such. For warm weather you can put in a Bug screen on the back door the same as a toy hauler.
Windows are pretty easy to install. (used Rv or Horse trailer windows work pretty good). Wire it for a Gen also so you have the options of propane or electric.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I love these set ups, I've even seen a stove it the front of the v nose. Insulalation would be nice for late season hunts.

Idea, pickup truck with a cap and tow atv.

Take minimal gear - only enough to fill your bed 1/2 way (only enough to get up to the top of the bed).

Cut a piece of plywood to fit over the bed - basically where the cap starts. Throw a pad on top. Lots of room for gear, to get to gear in back simply pull out plywood like a drawer. Tons of sleeping room tons of gear room. You can get more headroom by taking less gear and lowering height of plywood.

If you buy good gear it can be light. I have no problem flying out for a week long backpack and get on plane with 2 checked bags and carry on. Easily.

Your gear is always dry and bear safe and you always have a MOBILE roof over you head.

I love this for elk, sleep where ever you park and not have to drive back to camp (waste of time).

For elk I park in a new spot every night and listen for bugles. This works great!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-16 AT 02:52PM (MST)[p]What Don V describes may be fine for a few days, but IMHO that would get old after a few days of being cramped in an area like that. What happens if the weather gets real bad? Who want to lay in half a PU shell! A friend of mine just finished insulating the side and roof of a cargo trailer he bought new recently. He has the plans all laid out and is even going to have a shower in the front V area with a porta potti in it that can be easily removed when someone wants a shower. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's completed this summer. He sold his big wall tent setup and bought it after I told him how great the cargo trailer we use out in Wyoming is working out.

Gun I would love to see pics of it when done. Bennefits of this type of camp is extremely mobile and you can hose out the back end when done.

>Gun I would love to see
>pics of it when done.
> Bennefits of this type
>of camp is extremely mobile
>and you can hose out
>the back end when done.
>

I'll try to take some when Kevin gets it finished to add to threads like this.

TG I would love to see the pictures also.
I have been checking out a bunch of YouTube videos for ideas and have decided I'm gonna do the cargo trailer conversion I hope to get started by mid summer.

From what I've seen you can do about anything you want depending on the size of the trailer. The one we use sometimes is a 7'x12' with a door on the front right and a ramp at the back. It came with a screened roof dome which is nice to let some light in and heat out if it gets warm. I can't remember the size of the one Kevin is working on, but it's huge and maybe 8'x28' as a guess. He's going to have a chest freezer, two bunks, a full size table for food prep, the shower in front, etc. The one thing I would tell anyone that's going to use one is to fully insulate it or there is a good chance you'll have moisture problems, especially on the ceiling, in cold weather when you try to heat it for comfortable sleeping when it's cold outside. We had that initial problem out in NV on an elk hunt before John did the insulation work. The rest is really up to the individual to make it with no frills like the one we use or fancy like a lot of the ones you can check out on the net. They are certainly one heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new travel trailer as much as they want for them.

I did that. I kept all my gear and food in small action packers inside my camper shell. I stacked them beside me when I slept and everything stayed inside. I spent hundreds of nights like that fishing, hunting, and scouting. I towed either my 4 wheeler or my boat.
When my kids grew up I found that my wife wanted to go with me at times and to be honest I was a little tired of the set up. So I bit the bullet and got a camper. I can take it about anywhere I took the truck before but I tend not to take it into the real tough stuff anymore opting for driving the atv more.
I love my camper. Plenty of room for me and one other person. I can watch movies when I get back to camp. It is dry comfortable and always ready.

1-25-14-A_zpsd8513eae.jpg

Hildieandchukar_zpsa9be0c81.jpg

Memorial7_zps495f50d0.jpg

Cow17_zps45228c6b.jpg

IMG_1716_zps9jsljg5x.jpg

IMG_0105_zps81fb9c7a.jpg

Elkhunt4_zps7e10a0b9.jpg

We stay in one every year. It hauls all our gear plus our wheelers, 4 of them to be exact. All the gear is stored up front in the v part of the trailer. We unload the wheelers throw our cots down sideways and we love it. Stay for 4 to 6 days at a time.

TG 7x12 sounds about the right size for me.
We hunted out of my dads cab over camper for years and it was great. I have a Dodge Ram with the ram cargo boxes so any cabover or shell is out plus I put the ATV in the back of my truck at times. I'll be 50 next year and the thought of sleeping in the bed of my truck for more then one night is not very appealing.

Vents with electric fans,are easy to install and work great.They are nice to have for moving air around,,cooling,drying stuff etc.. We put a awning on one of them that worked out pretty good. under the table you can have a battery bank that will run everything you will need.

>One of my early mentors in
>hunting for bigger bucks, blew
>himself up using a trailer
>just as you mentioned here.
>He got back to his
>trailer-camp in a bad storm,
>Wy i think, and when
>he went to light his
>lantern, the trailer blew up
>blasting him 30-40 feet from
>what was the trailer. He
>suffered major injures.
>
>Yes, this could have happened lots
>of ways in different rigs.
>He hasn't been on a
>serious hunt since then, that
>was maybe 10-12 years ago.
>I do think it a
>good idea but just be
>extra careful with your propane
>setup!
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Just out of morbid curiosity, how did he miss the pungent smell of propane before striking a safety match?? Just curious not being critical.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Walts Rv supply went out of business down here, BUT all of his stock was brought up by Stardeck.com in Corona and they have those toy hauler fold up beds for $350 ea with mattress.
Hope you find some they don't stay in the store every long.

Gator,
I have been doing a lot of research there are a lot of very good options I think it will turn out pretty nice.
Leaning towards a 7X14 right now

Throw a couple of scissor jacks on back of the trailer to level side to side and front to back and make it less bouncy when it parked.
Make sure that you have room(on one side) to get in and out of the trailer after you park your wheeler in it, it really sucks trying to crawl over it to get in & out.
Get one of those Baylock EZ Jacks for changing tires on double axles trailers they are the cats meow.

I wish I had taken some pictures of the ones we did.

"Just out of morbid curiosity, how did he miss the pungent smell of propane before striking a safety match??"

I don't know the answer to that question, i had moved north and we lost contact with each other, not like earlier years going back to when i was still a kid when, him being some 10 years older, we'd always seem to buddy up at social occasions and inevitably talk of hunting Big Bucks. The guy was very well respected in our local hunting community, one of the first pack back in DIY guys i had ever heard of. He thought nothing of 2 month long trips, a single guy, and according to him, no weather was too much, loved it when it was deep cold or hard snowing and he'd stay on a found trophy's sign for days if need be. You're right though, i deal with a lot of propane installs in my business and normally a guy would smell it before blowing himself up as he did.

Joey

Keep your slimy Paws Off My, Yours, Our,.. Public Land!!!

Propane appliances inside will produce condensation if not well-vented. I have been comfortable w 1 other adult in a set-up like the one you propose. You can add fold-down work spaces for tables and cooking, just like the beds. You could also have a full-width bed that stows against the ceiling and rests on braces against the trailer sides, with center supports that fold against the bottom of the bed. Bed stows manually or via pulleys up to the ceiling.

Less ambitious guys set a cabover camper on a flatbed trailer, leaving room under the cabover for a quad.

In mild weather a Coleman fuel 2 mantle lantern can heat these enough to take the edge off. Again, ventilation is paramount.

I would love to see some photos from those of you who have modified/improved your cargo trailers. Thanks.

-Hawkeye-

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom