Carrying for another.

OpeningDay

After spending time on the Henry's and seeing that the majority of the draw hunters are not their spring chicken self any more.. Many have waited years and years to draw. Sitting around the campfire last week a questions came up. Can someone, guide, friend or anyone pack the gun/ bow for the hunter ?? Does the hunter have to pack the weapon themselves ? Obviously the hunter does need to be with the weapon. I looked in the proclamation, but couldn't find anything. Can you help me solve this debate ? Thanks in advance

^^^spot on.
To answer the question, yes, you can carry the rifle.
Hell, if you're good friends maybe he will let you pull the trigger.

If the person carrying the weapon has a hunting license, then there should be no reason he/she couldn't carry the weapon. Coyotes are always in season.
I should have clarified. We were talking about LE units. Can someone carry the weapon for the only tag holder ? Pack it in and pack it out is what I am getting at I guess.

There used to be a “temporary game preserve” rule that prohibited carrying a weapon in the field if you didn’t have a big game permit for that season - but it was rescinded several years ago I believe. This was to rule out the “I was just hunting coyotes” argument.

If you are truly worried about it just pick up a mentor permit for the "gun packer". You aren't required to let him shoot.

But yes anyone can hunt coyotes year around. No license required in Utah. With a hunting license and a spot and stock cougar tag they can pack their own rifle.

Uh...you know that, and I know that.....but most Game wardens don't know that......
This is a true story……. most things I post are not, this one is.

A chap here in Richfield (30 years or so ago) had a LE elk tag. Killed a bull, tagged it and walked back and picked up this truck. Was driving down the road to get closer to the bull, got stopped and checked by Conservation Office. Checked his license and his rifle. Rifle still had loaded cartridges in the magazine. None in the chamber. CO wrote him up for hunting without a permit. Last I heard heard he was headed to court but I never did hear the outcome.

That’s my story an I’m sticking to it.

This is America and you are an American. As long as you are of legal age, are not a felon, restricted person or in a location with regulations prohibiting the possession of firearms, you do not need anyones permission to carry a firearm. You also do not need to give a reason for having one on/with you. Lots of LEOs forget about that birth right Americans have when they assume the worst case scenario on every stop or encounter they make.

I carry my wife's and young kids rifles all the time. They can walk faster and it is safer when I am in front of them leading the way. Even though it would never have a load in the chamber, accidents happen. I have been stopped twice doing this and neither warden said anything, but I could tell it did bother the one. We are starting to pack my dads rifle at times now, just so he can get where he needs to go without the added wait.

Amazes me anyone with a badge would even care. If someone else pulls the trigger sure I can see them getting bent about that, but we are in the USA. Packing a rifle is literally a right on NF, unless specifically stated no.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom