case seperation

beech18

2382300_ultra_001.jpg

7566300_ultra_003.jpg

How many of you had cases do this before? This is a 300 Ultra Mag, from Remington Brass. Think that brass was on 3rd time loaded.

You are probably bumping the shoulder too far, leaving too much head space. That would be my first guess. Is this the only piece that it's happened to? Measure fired brass against your loaded brass. You may have also just gotten a bad batch of brass, but that shouldn't be happening on the 3rd firing.

I agree with Bob. Are you FL sizing these or neck sizing? Many people just follow the die instructions on FL sizing and create headspace issues.

You better check your other brass also. Use a thin wire bent at the end with a sharp point. Insert into brass all the way down to the base. With the point running against the inside brass wall pull it up and you should feel a inner ring around the inside of the brass. If you feel that ring, discard the brass as it is getting ready to seperate on the next firing or two.

9 times out of 10 that is caused by over sizing where you size the shoulder down too far and it expands to fill the chamber upon firing and the brass flows forward into the chamber weaking the brass walls.

Before sizing, take a black felt marker and color the intire outer neck. Lube the case and screw your sizing die down a little at a time until you see the mark move down to where it just kisses the shoulder and neck junction, then set your die at that location.

RELH

If I FL size my 264 brass in my Westerner it will do that every time on the 3rd firing.

Probably a little sloppy chamber or excessive headspace. if neck sizing doesn't cure it then that's just how it's going to be. one reason I never hunt with anything but new brass in any rifle.

Stay thirsty my friends

Thanks for the info. I do FL sizing. I reload for more than 1, 300 RUM, I may have to buy more dies to have a sizer for each rifle or start keeping the brass seperate for each rifle. I was having chambering issues while back, called Dillion at that time and they told me I wasnt sizing the brass far enough.

This is the first time I ever had a case seperate in any of my rifles.

RELH, thanks for the tip, I always do a visual check of all brass for condition but learned something new with your way of using the wire to check the insides.

You don't need seperate dies. Just seperate your brass for each rifle and adjust your dies accordingly for each.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-13 AT 10:50PM (MST)[p]RELH, a 50 cent sharpie is one of the most used "tools" in my loading room..Well said.

You can also let the rifle tell you when to stop, I kinda like head space to be felt in the bolt..of course that wont work if loading for several different rifles.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom