Cash inn or save?

junior

Very Active Member
My son has 6 pts elk and is hoping of cashing inn 2014 archery. He will be 18 next year, but has never elk hunted before. He has got plenty of animals under his belt, but only a couple with a bow.
I think he should save them, WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? I need help talking me into it, or him out.

i'd apply -from now on - for the 2 best hunts possible - and only 2-

either the early rifle hunts and or premier archery units

Thanks guys, you made the decision for him. lol I have been putting him in for 7 years, but years are hard to realise at age 17. May do a CO. hunt next year to break him inn.

I wouldn't put in for the 2 best hunts as a non resident unless he is willing to wait another 10 to 12 years minimum to get one of these premier hunts., with bonus point creep and all. It could easily be another 15 years also for one of these tags. I would apply for an average unit and go have fun with your son before waiting 15 more years. There is no way around this long wait being he is a non resident. Good luck regardless.

You can count the early archery hunts he can draw with 6 points on one hand. They're not bad units at all but it will be a cpl more years before he can draw unit 8 and those above it.

The worst part about the points deal is we should both have 8 now! I applyed late the year AZ went back to paper, we had a blizzard with 4' of snow, and the app was late. Ended up costing 2 points. Man I get mad with myself just thinking about it!

Your right Bob, only a few units to be had early archery with 6 points. Oh yea, congrats on your AZ tag! I hope you do well!

For premium units 9, 10 ,23 north or south it will take at least 15 points to draw and thats right now with no bonus point creep. For unit 8 it will take 10 or so points and thats without bonus point creep. There is no average unit that you can draw with 6 points that is guaranteed as a non resident, and i would also expect bonus point creep to affect these units also. Your best bets are units 4a , 4B, and 6B. Good luck

In a few years, every early archery hunt will be locked up for NR so that only the max point pool applicants can draw. Both 7's issued all NR tags in the Bonus draw this year and the remaining hunt codes have a dwindling number of tags passing thru to the 1-2 pass.
I seriously doubt the Dept will be proactive and head that off. Not even sure how they would do it, but at some point in the future they'll be forced to make changes.

Don't wait and don't apply for the two best units. Apply for average units. Being a first time elk hunter my money is on the fact he will shoot and be happy with the first 300 inch bull you call in. You can have good chance at those type bulls almost any elk unit in az.

I would use them,He might get married and hang the hunting up for awhile well starting his family, and those point could be wasted.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom