Casper Area Info: Ice/Meat Care/License/etc.

S

stormsearch

I'm taking my Dad to Casper for early doe antelope hunt this year. I drew a buck tag but focus is to get him off to a good start. He's never been out west and I've never hunted in WY. Have the hotel booked in Casper but have some general questions:

1. Where to get block dry ice for the drive home or anyplace to get general ice as needed.

2. A place to pick up Conservation stamps

3. We plan to quarter our animals and finish processing them at home. Is there a place that will hang our quarters for us obviously for some fee?

4. A place to get a European mount if I get fortunate to take something decent? Also, is it worth trying to get the hides tanned. I would like to have one and will bring the salt in the field. If so, recommended taxidermy would need to do tanning also.

We originally planned to camp but never stayed in the area before, dealing with water and high winds decided a hotel was best. We are hunting area 73. Bought the topo maps and should have a day or more to scout. Thanks for the help.

Casper is a sizeable city so you will be able to easily find all you need.

Dry is sold at the Walmart and even local grocery stores. Some processors may provide it too.

Discount Sports or Sportmans Warehouse will have the stamps. There is also a G&F office in town.

There are several lockers in town. Most any will let you store your meat. You could also just keep them on ice in your cooler.

There are also several taxidermists in town that can do a euro mount and ship it back to you. Antelope hide is very thin and the hair slips easily. Be very careful when handling it if you want to have it tanned. Again, the taxidermist should be able to handle that for you.

If there's one thing Casper does not have a shortage of, it's meat processors and taxidermists. You will have no problem.

The last two years before heading out, we've gone to WalMart and they gave us dry ice for FREE. That is not a joke...FREE!!

We'd always pick our Conservation Stamps up in Rawlins at the local sportsmans shop. Forgot the name....we did that so we didn't have to go all the way into Casper to get them.

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-09 AT 07:01PM (MST)[p]Many thanks for the replies - any recommendations for a taxidermist?

Man, just checked the weather, it looks like it is going to be a warm one.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-09 AT 09:06PM (MST)[p]The wind might blow a little too . Tie your hat on tight if you have never been to WY before..

BTW if you are going through Douglas Ace Harware has always sold tags and stamps.

Pat C.

Hi I have a freind in Douglas Wyoming he does great taxidermy work. Deep Timber Creations Owner Bobby Davis 307-351-1063 they also manage Douglas meat processing ,I cut meat for them starting in September stop in and say hi . Give Bobby a call you will be glad you did . Thanks Carl

You can buy your Conservation Stamp online this year and print it out. MUCH easier. Did mine yesterday and it worked like a charm.

Buy your C stamp online. pretty easy that way.

I always bone the meat out, put it in garbage sacks, and keep it on ice in a cooler. I have never had a problem doing this. Antelope are pretty small and you can usually fit a couple in a average sized cooler. Your motel probably has a ice machine and you can keep them topped off with ice for free.

Ray's Taxisermy Studio

Lewis Ray
Offical boone & Crockett Measurer
(307) 234-9759
5131 West Yellowstone Hwy
Casper, WY

I had him Mount a mule deer buck and an antelope for me last fall that I took in the Casper area, could not be happier great work and very good turn around time.

If for no other reason than to see his shop, it is a must stop at it is an amzing collection of antlers and mounts that you will not soon forget. He owns I believe it is the # 2 all time typical Mule deer it is awesome.

Make sure you swing by his shop it is well worth your time.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER
www.elkhuntersports.com

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-09 AT 01:26PM (MST)[p]I wouldn't let Louie Ray scratch my dogs balls. But hey, that's just my opinion...

Swann Studios does exceptional work. Sundowner is also excellent. If you ever need fish work down, Bob at Sundowner does about 3/4's of the local taxidermists fish work. I've also had mounts done at Ziker.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-09 AT 09:45AM (MST)[p]Thanks for everybody's replies, but I believe can only buy the C stamp online if WY resident, otherwise I can't find it.

My Dad looked at the site the other day and he found it for Non res but they want $5 for shipping it. That seems a bit extreme doesn't it? Isn't postage only like $.45 or something like that? I guess they can try to make money on anything.

Steve

I thought I remembered it was a pdf file you could access for x hours and print off with your computer. ??

Pat C.

If you're going to Walmart you can purchase your stamp there. Goodluck on your hunt!

7 Mag

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom