Catch and Release Shed Hunting

Daxter

Very Active Member
I was wondering if anybody has ever gone catch and release shed hunting in Yellowstone of Teton? I was thinking that it might be fun to just go up with a camera, lots of film, and mabye a tape to measure some of what you find and just leave them where you find them. I think it would be fun, but maybe it would be pure torture. What do you think?

How big do the bulls/bucks in Yellowstone/Teton get? I have only been to Yellowstone one time when I was younger and we saw some smaller bulls right along the road. So how big do they really get around that area????? Any pics of some of the monsters in that area?
YB

young buck...i have taken some pictures of the winter range...i will post em on the photography section..check em out..

HECK NO! I would be so mad if i found a giant shed i couldnt keep. So i wouldnt even try. I found a gaint nontypical match on a national monument and had to leave it there, I havent been back since nor do i want to go. It was one of the bigger sets i have ever found or held.

later, MM

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-03 AT 01:46AM (MST)[p]BTW, Youngbuck, the elk get HHHHHHHHUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE. I have seen some monsters in the park. As for mule deer, i havent seen to many really big ones, i dont think the mule deer have a really good winter range out of the park. If there is a poor winter range you usually have a poor turn out of big bucks in the state of Wyo.

later, MM

Awesome Awesome Awesome PICS!!! Is it legal to even catch and release shed hunt in the park? Is anyone alowed to take sheds from the park? Sometimes around here they let the boyscouts/girlscouts go out on private land and pick up the sheds.....anything like that in the park? If there is you guys might be seeing an oversized boyscout come next spring...LOL
YB

No they dont let anyone pick up the sheds, not even boyscouts. Or else you would see another oversized boyscout! lol

later, MM

You will get fined if you are caught even moving an antler at all.

Also, it is a FEDERAL offense if you take an antler.

Pretty strict.

Very true, i talked to a park offical and he said that they drill large holes in the bases of antlers and put a radio transmitter in them. Then they have a taxidermist repair the hole making it look real. When the shed antler is moved a relativily short distance of roughly 100 yards it will transmit a signal to park officals.

later, MM

good post Daxter.

i have taken my wife and kids hiking in YNP several times so they can experience the good 'ol days of antler collecting. okay, i admit that finding sheds in YNP is ALOT easier than any of the good 'ol days i had :).

my wife has only had one truly successful day when we were out collecting in one of my old spots about 6 years ago, so she enjoys hiking in YNP and appreciates seeing all those sheds laying around. the kids are still a little young to understand what it's all about, but they are good sports.

i even found this bison skull on one of our YNP outings a few years ago...that's one of my daughters on my back (she's asleep).

http://www.hunt101.com/img/057000.jpg[img]

of course, when i'm outside YNP and find a shed it comes home with me no matter how crusty!

berto

MM,
You're not serious about the transmitter comment are you? I could see that would really work around here. They would be following the squirrels all over the place. LOL!
I've often thought about doing a trip into Jasper National Park and have a look for some sheds since it is only a few hours from my home, but I too would be pissed if I found a huge tine that I couldn't take home so I haven't bothered to go.

Yeah, they do put the transmitters in the antlers. A few years back, they really cracked down on the horn hunting that was going on in the park. They hired a bunch of guys to go out and sit on ridgetops with night vision binos and watch for people trying to take sheds out in the dark. There are several stories of guys drowning on the rivers, trying to float antlers out with rafts. They also go around and spray paint antlers orange, I wish someone would do that where I horn hunt. It sure makes them easy to spot...

As mentioned above, it is a federal felony if you are caught with antlers, and I haven't heard any stories of people being let off. On another note, I have heard of guys picking up large sheds right along the road not knowing it was illegal, and driving right out of the park with big sheds laying in plain view in the back of their trucks.

Corey

i have seen some sheds that have been painted orange and others cut into a bunch of little pieces when i've hiked YNP with my family.

you know, that really takes away from the "natural" beauty and "balance in the ecosystem" that the Park Service says they're trying to achieve...i doubt varmints like the taste of orange spray paint.

berto

The biggest mule deer antler I ever found wwa in YNP. 90 inch on the frame and a lot of nontypical. A few weeks later I found a 88 inch 4 point. If they opened YNP to shed hunting I would be on that mountain In 8 hours to get those antlers if there are still there. On time I found a big Nontypical elk antler right next to the road on the blacktail plateau. It was April and this antler was to faded to have been just dropped. I Know it was a planted antler. I got out for a pic, and tossed the shed in the bushes. I then went hiking for the rest of the day. I never saw a ranger but when I got back to Bozeman I talked to my Dad and he said that the park rangers called him and were wondering what I was doing in the park. They got His number from a tag on some lugage thay could see on the back seat of my car. The rangers watch the sheds like a hawk in the park.

antlerradar

Pretty cool to hear all the stories about sheds in the park. Did any of you hear about the guy who was poaching horns in the park and they suspect he got murdered by other hornpoachers? It was in all the papers up here. His wife dropped him off with a dog and he was supposed to be picked up 2 or 3 days later. He has been missing over 10 years now. After he was missing, like 6 or 7 guys came forward and confessed they were doing the same thing in the same area and heard gun shots in the area that day. The dog was never found either.

I guess this is one of the reasons why the rangers are watching so hard.

Ill try to find some of the articles on this story and post them.

Wow lots of responses. I think that I just might have to go up there some year and take some as they lay photos and see what there is. It would be hard to leave the big ones, but the law is the law. Keep the stories coming if you have more.

Daxter,

Last year our group took a day off from shed hunting and went into YNP for a break and enjoy all the animals. We stopped in one area and watched a Griz feed on a dead Buffalo then headed out of the area. While we were watching him with the Bino's, we started looking on the hill and started finding antlers all over the place. It was an open hillside (always on guard for the Griz) so my buddy and I decided to walk the length of the hillside (about 1/4 mile)and see how many antlers we could find in that stretch. We found 68 five point or better elk sheds. We had a great time, but left everyone of them in the woods, and it did hurt because there were several 7 point racks.

BERTO is right though, they watch the place real good and even have guys posted out of the park looking back into the park to see if they can find people trying to sneak them out. It is a Federal offense, and not worth the price tag that comes with getting caught.

Elkseeker

Here's a story on the subject...

Law Enforcement: Drop that Rack, or I'll Vaporize You
Yellowstone's infamous Antler Wars enter a new phase
By Todd Wilkinson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's fine with us if they believe there's a camera lurking behind every tree," says Brian O'Dea, criminal investigator for Yellowstone National Park. "If they come into the park with ideas of getting rich, we'll be waiting for them."

"They" are Yellowstone's infamous horn hunters, people who scavenge for antlers shed by the park's massive herds of elk each spring and then sell their quarry for profit. Indeed, the antler theft problem in the nation's oldest national park is getting worse--in 1995 poachers collected an estimated $500,000 worth of antlers, more than in any previous year. In one much-talked-about case, a pack of high-school-age kids, apparently in need of some extra spending money, slaughtered a bull elk for its horns and left the carcass to rot on a mountainside. Most disturbing, though, was the disappearance a few years ago of Dan Campbell, a Yellowstone-area man last seen in the park and now presumed dead. Authorities say that he was a horn hunter and was probably murdered in a bloody dispute over turf.

If O'Dea comes off a tad cocky despite the trouble in his park, there appears to be good reason for it. Last spring, his department received shipment of high-tech surveillance equipment from the U.S. military, including high-resolution satellite imaging devices, dime-sized radio trackers, remote-controlled ground cameras, and powerful night-vision gear. And this month--which is high season for velvet antlers, the new-growth horns coveted for their rarity--O'Dea wants all park visitors to know that if you plan to traipse past Mammoth Hot Springs in search of sprawling trophy racks for your mantle, you will be treated to a Desert Storm-style surprise.
"The poachers know everything about us," says chief ranger Dan Sholly. "Our radio frequencies, how many patrol cars we're using, where our rangers are stationed. Now we've got a few tricks up our sleeve, too."

Home to the world's largest congregation of wild elk, Yellowstone has been the epicenter of the elk antler trade for more than a century. After being plucked from the pine forests and fields of buffalo grass and sagebrush, they're sliced into wafers and sold as aphrodisiacs and folk medicines in Asia for up to $300 per ounce. Closer to home, the horns are crafted into expensive Western-style furniture and sold in resort communities. As businesses go, it sounds reasonably benign, but the competition for antlers has, to say the least, spun out of control lately, with small cartels carving up park territory and then protecting it with semiautomatic weapons.
"In some ways, it's not that different from mafia wars," says Sholly. "Kids are even getting involved."

Of course, law enforcement hasn't been standing by, totally helpless. More than 100 horn hunters have been arrested in the last three years. But despite the risks, the profit is still irresistible to some. "You can pocket $3,000 in a few hours," says O'Dea. "It's hard to find work that pays that well around here--or anywhere else."

And so, as the park begins to fill with visitors in this its busiest season of the year, and as small tribes of horn hunters skitter back into the hills to look after their turf, can our stiff-brimmed men and women, underdogs though they may be, finally win the Antler Wars, now that they have earth-orbiting satellites on their side?

"To be honest, we don't know if any of this stuff is going to translate into more people behind bars," says O'Dea. "But I bet they'll think twice before stealing if they believe somebody's watching from outer space."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom