central idaho muley

I

IDbones

Well i got my first muley ive spent 8 days hunting and bout the 3 weeks scouting. first i was hunting out in the boonies, 6 mile bike ride off a main road in a pretty secluded canyon. Saw a few folks on bikes and horses. Saw a good 4 point with a big outward tilting rack, had real week forks on one side though. Saw another 3 point that looked only about 20'' wide but was TALL, like 20'' backs. Had good mass and carried all the way through the points. saw lots of small bucks and dozens of does. i also probly saw 30+ bulls. I ended up getting rained and blown on off the mountain by the first rain in 3 months. Came back to town and i got some access through my dad bout 3 miles from town. I got to hunt it exclusively. Went in there and saw about a dozen bucks ranging from 120-150ish. Ended up getting some more access a little farther from town and really started hitting it hard, over a couple days saw 12-15 bucks just not the monster i was looking for. This morning I got out there a little late and was overlooking some cattle grazing flats below the rim. Saw 5 bucks, all smaller 2 1/2 year olds. Finally i spotted one that looked decent, I couldnt really tell how good until the sun finally cam over the hill into the canyon and i saw that he had good backs so i decided hell why not go for it. I watched him feed around a bush for a couple hours sure he was going to bed down so i could put a stalk on him. Well wouldnt you know it he started heading downhilll at a good clip and i was 800-1000 yards away. So i started bookin it down the ridge and luckily he had to stop and destroy every bush he saw, really rakin the hell out of em. I finally caught up to him and he was raking about his 5th tree in a 500 yard stretch. I had him ranged at 450 yards give or take, which in a 20 mph crosswind wasnt going to work for me. so i snuck down the canyon staight across from him and got set up at 297 yards, and i shite you not the second i put the scope on him he bedded down behind a bush. I waited him out for about an hour and decided i wasnt waiting till 5 pm for him to stand up given it was only 9:15am. I could see half his vitals and the bush looked pretty whispy so i went for it. Punched one through the lungs and skinned his heart and blew out his back leg at the knee. This big ol brute just got up and started heading down hill in a hurry, i couldnt believe it. I anchored 2 more in his vitals on the hobble and down he went. I was elated to say the least. I went back to the truck to get gear first rather than go get my hands on him. When i finally put my hands on him there was some considerable growage. Hes not a booner like i know some of you fellas have shot but for my first muley i was more than happy. Then the work began! Ive never cut up a whole deer by myself so it was a learning experience to say the least. After 2 1/2 hours i was all bagged up and ready to rock. I figured Id pack him out in one slow load and save myselfe some miles. That lasted about 200 yards before i about passed out and decided ill just do it in 2 trips. I was 1.7 miles from the truck and i had 3 round trips by the time the day was done. 2 for the deer and one before i got my hands on him. Im exceptionally happy for my first muley, hes not the 190 that i set out for but scores just a number right? heres the pictures

875dsc01179.jpg

this one is scenery shot just to show how unforgiving the country is, i had to pack uphill
9470dsc01181.jpg

9653dsc01193.jpg

these last couple are just scenery shots of where i camped out in the back country
5298dsc01149.jpg

1982dsc01147.jpg

Congrats on your first muley. It looks like an awesome buck and it sounds like you had a great hunt. The pack out made you earn it in that country but thats all part of it. Great pics and story, thanks for sharing.

Nice job! Looks like the Salmon river country.Did you notice any wolf activity?How about turkeys?I would be proud of a great buck like that, really nice dark horns. Larry

Thanks for the comments guys. the botom two pix are salmon cointry and I ended up killin him off the snake. I saw one old track that coulda either been wolf our couger it was just so old it was hard to tell. Bucket loads of turkey tracks just didnt see any turkeys

this is tight as i could tape it but i will be trying to have it officially scored here in the next week

291dsc01198.jpg

How do you figure? It says spread credit may equal but not exceed length of longest main beam. 23"

take my word for it....I'm right. spread credit is the inside spread...up to the length of the longest main beam.

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

My buddy and i are in opposition.I say unit 18, he says unit 13.Who's right? thanks. Larry

>My buddy and i are in
>opposition.I say unit 18, he
>says unit 13.Who's right? thanks.
>Larry

I think he might have left it out on purpose. In which case asking this question on an open forum is "tacky" in my opinion. Or he may not care what do I know.
Justin

>>My buddy and i are in
>>opposition.I say unit 18, he
>>says unit 13.Who's right? thanks.
>>Larry
>
>I think he might have left
>it out on purpose. In
>which case asking this question
>on an open forum is
>"tacky" in my opinion.
> Or he may not
>care what do I know.
>
>Justin

Lets just call it unit 138. Awesome country!

haha i dont care ill tell, your both wrong! its 11! i just didnt post cuz ive seen some guys get butthurt on here before. it is a very tough hunt hunt and its fairly hard to draw. if it were over the counter it would be a whole different story. i know i could have waited till the last week of the season and killed a better buck on the breaks of the salmon, but as im solo hunting this year, it would have been a toss up whether i died or not getting it out. next year if anyone draws the tag feel free to ask for info ill give you everything ive got.

In your opinion,Unit 11 is a true test of any man,no need in keeping that secret.Way to go,really steep rugged country.Looks like draw on the bet,in my opinion.Thanks, Larry

Great buck man and not even a bad buck for 11! Lot of smaller bucks shot on that tag every year...

"~Who says deer don't eat Berger's???"

ya i know a lot of people think they get the tag and its a layup 190+ deer, definatly not the case, what sold me on this deer is he was obviously a mature buck, id take a 140 mature buck over a 3 1/2 year old 160 any day, and i think idahos deer populations would be much better if more people felt that way. ive seen people kill 2 1/2 year old whitetail that scored around 140, which blows my mind, those are the kind of deer that become 165-180 class whitetail, on private land no less, to each his own though i guess

Nice Buck. I have hunted 11 several times. I agree while there are some very nice bucks taken every year, it is not a gimme for a 190 class as some people believe. I love the country though, something special about it. I'm glad it worked out...Congrats.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom