Central Mountains Nebo Unit.

GLEDEASY

I know these posts tend to get annoying, but I do have a few questions with the unit. My wife drew the rifle deer tag. We normally hunt the fishlake, and that's where my tag is so I have spent most of my scouting time there.

More or less I am curious about how much pressure this unit will see. Since it's my wife's tag I was thinking the southern part might be easier hiking for her, but that may also mean more pressure? I'm also guessing its deer population is lower the further south you go?

I'm sure the unit has a lot of private ground. Where will I run into most of it and what should I know?

Any insight willing to be shared as I start to familiarize myself with the unit would be appreciated.

Gled, I am one of the two non res elk hunters for the early rifle. As of now I know zero about the unit for either deer or elk for that matter.
What I can do is when I'm finished ( Sept 20) I can tell you where I was and if I saw any nice bucks.
Perhaps that may be a help?

Pm me after the 20th and I can share my findings

The southern part is definitely easier hiking but the whole unit is really crowded. The most notable difference between north and south is that the southern half tends to be a massive ATV rally and there are very few places where you can get away from them. As a result, it can be really hard to find a decent buck. On the northern half, camping spots can be hard to find. Since you have another tag, I'd suggest staying away from Nebo during the opening weekend. The crowds do tend to thin out a lot after that, especially if there's some weather.

Good luck to the two of you!

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

cc,I'll keep in touch. Especially if I get up before your hunt and see something.

My hunt is the muzzy, so luckily our dates won't cross each other.

Are sheep and cattle ran on the mountain much?

Canyon I will be headed up the Nebo actually in the a.m. So i'll let you know what I see. I plan on to archery hunt this with a OTC hunters choice tag. I'm limited to a spike or cow so big guys are all yours.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom