Chalk another one up for CA's cougars

eyeguard

Here is an article I read on MSN today about another Mountain Lion attack. Why can't anyone in CA see there's a problem? I hope good ol' Ahnold will start whoppin' some ass!

LAKE FOREST, Calif. - A mountain lion thought to have killed a bicyclist and critically mauled another in a California wilderness area was shot and killed by authorities late Thursday.

The 2-year-old male cat, which weighed about 110 pounds, was to be taken to a laboratory where a necropsy will be performed.

?We are pretty confident that this lion was responsible for the attack (on the bikers),? said Steve Martarano, a spokesman for the California Fish and Game Department.

One attack occurred shortly after 4:30 p.m. Thursday in Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park when a mountain lion pounced on a woman who was riding a bicycle with her friend.

?This guy would not let go. He had a hold of her face.?

? Debbie Nichols
Friend of victim

The lion grabbed Ann Hjelle, 30, by her head and began dragging her. Her friend, Debi Nichols, began screaming for help and grabbed the victim?s legs in a struggle to free her.

?This mountain lion jumped on her back and started dragging her,? Nichols said. ?He dragged us down ... about 100 yards into the brush and I just kept screaming. This guy would not let go. He had a hold of her face.?

Bikers throw rocks
Several other mountain bikers responded, throwing rocks at the animal until it fled.

Hjelle was flown by helicopter to a hospital, where she remained in critical condition Friday.

After the attack, the body of an unidentified man in his 30s was found at the top of a trail, near an unattended bicycle. Authorities couldn't confirm if the man was killed by the mountain lion. An autopsy was scheduled for Friday.

?We don't know how long he's been out there,? said Orange County Fire Capt. Stephen Miller. ?But it's pretty obvious that an animal was involved in this (death).?

Previous attacks
Including Thursday?s incident, there have been 13 mountain lion attacks on humans in California over the past 114 years, said Doug Updike, a biologist with the state Fish and Game Department. In those cases, there were five fatalities, he said.

Last September, game wardens shot and wounded an aggressive mountain lion spotted near an equestrian center in San Juan Capistrano. The lion was later found and killed, state officials said.

In 1986, 5-year-old Laura Small was attacked while looking for tadpoles with her mother in Ronald W. Caspers Wilderness Park in Orange County.

The girl?s mother was able to rescue her daughter, whose skull was partially crushed by the mountain lion?s jaws. She was left blind in one eye and paralyzed on her right side.

Months later, a 6-year-old boy was mauled in the same park. County supervisors closed most of the park to children for nearly a decade. The ban was lifted in December 1997.

Three years later, a state law was passed prohibiting people from hunting or killing mountain lions.

The threat of mountain lions has become an increasing problem in Southern California as development encroaches upon rural areas that have been home to various animals.

Updike estimates there are between 4,000 and 6,000 adult lions roaming the Golden State, with usually five to seven mountain lions per 100 square miles. Still, he said the chances of being attacked are extremely rare.

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

EG

We have too many "Bambi" animal lovers in this state and it will take alot more persons being attacked or killed before hunting rights are restored on the lions. I am willing to bet that most of those "bikers" involved in the last attack, were for the mountain lions being protected, I wonder what their thoughts are now about the so called "endangered mountain lion".
Most of us living in the North state in the hill regions are fully aware of the numerous lions and the danger they may become. they get shot if found on the property. In the last five years I have seen more lions then the previous 15 years in my area. The big problem with the lions is that when they get into a heavy populated area, it is usually a small child that becomes the victim, because they have a tendency to run from the lion and the prey instinct kicks in and the lion attacks. But then again most of us are aware that PETA members could care less about a few children getting killed.
RELH

Being 49 years old and spending tooooooooo much time in the hills, I can say this with some certainy. Shoot, Shovel and shut up. End of story. Chit, dont even shovel, just go out and whack another one!

13 attacks in 114 years averges one attack every ten year with only 5 fatalities in the 114 years I think your posts are reactionary and uninformed at best.

If they were the extreme danger you say they are and have a population of 4000-6000 cats in Cali why aren't there more attacks? I think its us (people, humans, whatever) pushing ourselves out the urban areas crowding all wildlife and not expecting to see or have any encounters with them that to blame. Bear attacks are almost as rare but I have yet to see this kind of "lets kill every damn one of them" reaction I see here.

Arnold cant do anything about it but put pressure on the State F&W commission to change the laws and allow some hunts to take place IF thats what his advisors tell him.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom