Chalk Creek hunting opportunities

bdog35

I have always wondered why this state sells tags for deer and elk mainly antlerless that cannot be used by the public and how many go unsold and wasted. The only chance is a very small allotment for the CWMU. My question is how do we let these landowners know that we mean them no harm, we don't want to damage their property we just want to hunt an animal or animals that we could use and the majority of us sportsmen and women don't have thousands of dollars to pay a landowner in order to harvest a doe deer or cow elk, we need to come together and understand one another to bridge this divide between hunters and landowners. If removing a few more animals is in their best interest let's find a solution that we both can live with. If by some chance a landowner reads this and would talk about it , I would entertain that conversation whole heartedly. I would like to hear their perspective so I can better understand things.

You may be surprised by the results of going to the rancher and knocking on his door. The numerous times I hunted Wyoming with my father in law, who is a CA. farmer, we got trespass rights for a very small fee. For antelope we sometimes got free trespass for taking both buck and does.
Yes there were a few that tried to rip us off. We just went on to the next rancher. We even had some ranchers tell us which ranchers to avoid as they will demand out rage fees and did not have the quality of animals to justify the high fees.
also talk to the local game warden as he will usually know which ranchers will treat hunters fairly and not rip them off.
Most of the time we hunted Eastern Wyoming which is about 90% private land and going door to door paid off for us.
If we got a good spot to hunt, my father in law always left a care package for the rancher and his wife consisting of CA. grown products that were expensive in Wyoming due to being trucked in for the stores.

RELH

>You may be surprised by the
>results of going to the
>rancher and knocking on his
>door. The numerous times I
>hunted Wyoming with my father
>in law, who is a
>CA. farmer, we got trespass
>rights for a very small
>fee. For antelope we sometimes
>got free trespass for taking
>both buck and does.
> Yes there
>were a few that tried
>to rip us off. We
>just went on to the
>next rancher. We even had
>some ranchers tell us which
>ranchers to avoid as they
>will demand out rage fees
>and did not have the
>quality of animals to justify
>the high fees.
> also talk to
>the local game warden as
>he will usually know which
>ranchers will treat hunters fairly
>and not rip them off.
>
> Most of the time
>we hunted Eastern Wyoming which
>is about 90% private land
>and going door to door
>paid off for us.
> If we got
>a good spot to hunt,
>my father in law always
>left a care package for
>the rancher and his wife
>consisting of CA. grown products
>that were expensive in Wyoming
>due to being trucked in
>for the stores.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> RELH

Thanks for that post. It's nice to know this still goes on to some extent. The care package is a nice touch and too often overlooked.

Many of the Chalk Creek landowners with substantial land are getting mitigation/depredation vouchers for their properties and are already selling them or giving them away to family/friends.

So, you're already behind the 8 ball with that specific location.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom