Challis, Idaho

D

dittmer22

Anybody duck or goose hunt in this area? If so how do you hunt it now that a lot of the water is frozen solid? Do you look for open water, or set up decoys in a field, or anything I don't know about :) ? Just curious

I read this in Fur Fish & Game if you take a 5 gallon bucket and dip some water from an area and mix with 1 cup of liquid bluing (found in laundry soap section of store)pour out on the ice and set decoys the ducks and geese will land on this area thinking it is open water and should prove very eventful.
BBH

Sounds like an interesting idea. I might have to try it. Thanks for the advice.

Don't know specifically about Challis, but down river in Salmon, the majority of the geese leave when everything freezes up. For the few that do remain....I would pattern them and then set up around the field they are flying to. If it's just a few small groups, don't use a bunch of decoys. From what I've seen, the geese land in those smaller fields and it seems you could just hide next to the field they were using and pass shoot. Lots of fencelines/brush, etc. Or come down to American Falls and hunt the 40,000 or so geese that are here from Dec-end of season!
Lance

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom