Character bucks?

Betterluckythangood

The hunting gods just don’t seem to want me to have a mature evenly matched wallhanger.
Does anyone else want to post a pic of a oddball buck? I have a couple.

First buck, 2002 wasatch front late archery.
Second buck, last century Camp Williams.

3DEFA42C-0F64-443D-BBE9-83191F9F9192.jpeg
506B1585-988E-4F90-A853-F73ACFE4740A.jpeg

In my early years when Utah had the muzzleloader late, we had a spike muley with 14" horns. We could never quite justify killing him. But really tempting. He looked like a good spike elk.
About six years ago there was a buck on the Pahvant we called 4 x spike. He was at least 28 inches with a good 4 point frame on one side and a spike main beam just as long as the other side.
Probably should have tried harder to kill that buck.

In my early years when Utah had the muzzleloader late, we had a spike muley with 14" horns. We could never quite justify killing him. But really tempting. He looked like a good spike elk.
About six years ago there was a buck on the Pahvant we called 4 x spike. He was at least 28 inches with a good 4 point frame on one side and a spike main beam just as long as the other side.
Probably should have tried harder to kill that buck.
Good thing you saw the spike side before you shot him. Instead of ground shrinkage it’s ground freakage

It was hunting some thick oak brush with one quick shooting window and I seen the good side mostly. I thought I had shot a good 27”-28” buck. Ended up being 22”. I call him my 5x2x5. I was disappointed at first but he grew on me and is now one of my favorite racks.

78EDF534-7BB6-4B9A-8C1F-FC4A179C0D27.jpeg

922512C9-4010-403A-AEFC-5D5395C3820A.jpeg

This is my forever "Character" buck- "Pete's Half-a-buck". I had missed several opportunities to fill my tag and was last member on a large family hunt w/o a buck. Everyone was going fishing- right out of camp I jumped what I thought was a 3x3. Didn't get a clear shot, but I tracked the deer. Came upon him, looking at me along a cliff face (I could only see his left side). I shot, but hit rocks, and as he turned, I saw a fork, and thought "Oh, a 3x2". I shot again, and connected. As I approached, I saw antler sticking out of brush. Imagine my surprise when I found he was a 2/0 buck- never even had a growth pedestal! Upon the rest of the party's return, I announced that I shot a "Half-a-buck". My brother broke off a branch and handed it to me.

Halfabuck.JPG

Killed this weird buck a few years ago. Passed him a couple times and then put him down on the last afternoon. He has a 4" in-line on his right side that you can barely see the tip of. His other side is just a long beam with a couple points.

IMG_9792 copy.jpg

Here are a few I have been fortunate to come across. First is a 3x3x1 the extra comes out the forehead. The second is a 6x2. It has two droppers one 12 inch and a one inch behind it, then a weird two point side. Did only have three and a half legs. ThanksView attachment 117312View attachment 117313
The first one probably had a big advantage when fighting other bucks. The second one is amazing!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom