Cheatgrass vs Mule Deer

jims

Long Time Member
There's been a number of posts recently with concern about the decline in mule deer across the Western US. I thought I would share some of the results we've generated the past couple years for long-term cheatgrass control. Some of the oldest long-term areas we sprayed 7+ years ago still have excellent cheatgrass control with an abundant diversity of native forbs, shrubs, and grass species that have replaced the areas that originally was dense cheatgrass.

I would really like to get this information out to other land managers across the Western US that want to make a difference improving mule deer and other wildlife habitat. It's been exciting to see such a quick and dramatic response!

Below is a short introduction to cheatgrass that Hannah Nikonow published in the Sept/Oct issue of the Mule Deer Foundation Jouranl.

Cheating the Sage, and the Fight Ahead for Mule Deer and Hunters​

Click here to read this full article from the Mule Deer Foundation Journal’s 2019 September/October issue.

Many experts are now citing the number one threat to mule deer in many parts of the West isn’t carnivores, development, or disease. Rather, it’s a tiny little plant, thinner than a toothpick and much more delicate, but very tenacious. You probably have heard of cheatgrass by now, maybe even felt its seeds dig into your ankles while hunting in sagebrush country. This wimpy-looking exotic grass from Eurasia doesn’t look like much of a threat, at least at first glance, to the mule deer we pursue each autumn. But make no mistake, this invasive grass packs a nasty punch to sagebrush habitat.

Last edited:
1702695935305.png

1702695980634.png

1702696939917.png

1702697087441.png

1702696005906.png

1702698609559.png

1702696046122.png

1702698708225.png

Last edited:
1702696261775.png

1702698137958.png

1702696310118.png

Game cameras were set up at 3 sites. Each of the 3 sites had seperate cameras set up in Rejuvra vs immediately adjacent non-sprayed sites. The above data represents monthly number of deer browsing at each site. Most of the deer headed to higher elevation during the summer months.

We have also been monitoring elk, small mammals, reptiles, and birds with game cameras.

Last edited:
Please don't hesitate to send me a PM if you have any questions or would like additional information. This is only a small sample of the research and monitoring we've done on multiple large-scale treated areas.

If you are in Colorado and would like a personal tour, please look me up. We are proud to show off our work!

Thanks for posting an in depth description of what you have been working on. Our local mule deer committee has identified horses and habitat (primarily cheat grass invasion) as the biggest factors. Development and predation were on the list as well.

I believe my lyin eyes….I’m grateful I don’t live in one of those orange dots.

I hear the elk and the turkeys down in the thistle patch :mad: under the russian olive trees right now. My cheatgrass should start greening up in a month or so and the deer will be all over it.

It’s all so confusing.

Last edited:
If we knew the population density, we could calculate the $$$ per deer. That should be the license cost ………slinks back into the abyss :censored:

Looks like $36+ per acre, not counting aerial service. That's a quick google search, prices may vary;)

Ariel service is part of the cost of TREATING an area. I didn’t ask how much it would cost to buy the product. I asked how much it would cost to treat 1,000 acres.

So I’ll ask jims again, since he has experience here and I’m guessing he’ll be able to give me an answer.

What would the cost be to treat 1,000 acres?

Last edited:
The last time I checked it was around $40/acre plus aerial or tractor costs. I can get back with you if you want aerial application rates. Where terrain is decent we have done a lot of tractor applications.

There are often cost-share or grants available to help. We’ve gotten a couple large grants funded to spray several large areas. These grants were coordinated and shared between several counties.

The cost of doing nothing should also be considered! Sublette County, Wyoming is a prime example of a pro-active approach with cheatgrass that will benefit sage grouse, mule deer, anntelope, and other wildlife in the years to come.

Sheridan County, Wyo is another prime example of rapid response to ventenada, medusahead, and cheatgrass before they become even bigger problems.

There are also large acreages of cheatgrass that have been sprayed after the 176,877 acre Mullein wildfire in southern Wyoming.

Word is slowly but surely spreading about the positive results that immediately benefit wildlife.

Last edited:
Bluehair,
You are absolutely correct that deer will browse cheatgrass early when it's green but unfortunately the nutrition values are low and palatability doesn't last very long. The nutrition value declines considerably as cheatgrass dries out.

What forage is available in dense cheatgrass stands for the remaining 10 other months of the year? Does the dense cheatgrass rob or "cheat" available moisture from desirable shrub browse that is essential during winter months when cheatgrass may be covered by deep snow? High nutrition forbs are key components in the early spring when vegetation is first starting to green up and mule deer are recovering from the winter.

My guess is that there must not be many higher nutrition forage options available in your area if mule deer are concentrated on eating cheatgrass?

If you look at the mule deer game camera data in my post #4 above you see that the preference of mule deer is high nutrition value native forbs, shrubs, and grass species vs dense cheatgrass...even during the months when cheatgrass is green.

Areas we have long-term cheatgrass control where remnant native species have increased after cheatgrass is removed are similar to food plots for whitetails. Mule deer concentrate in these areas in early spring as forbs and sub-shrubs emerge and provide extremely high quality forage. The same is true in the early fall through winter where shrub leader growth dramatically increases.

Mule deer can actually lay down and chew their cuds earlier in the day if nutrition values are higher and they have met their needs quicker. Poor quality feed means they need to expend more time and energy searching for and meeting their diet needs! These are directly related to weight gains, healthy fawns, fawn recruitment, winter survival, resistance to predators and disease, etc.

If I was a landowner that manages hunting on a property and the surrounding properties were loaded with cheatgrass I can guarantee spraying the cheatgrass and releasing high nutrition forage with native species would be a magnet for deer and elk to my property.

Here is a short summary from a cheatgrass publication:

Nutritive Value of Cheatgrass and Crested Wheatgrass on Spring Ranges of Utah

C. WAYNE COOK AND LORIN E. HARRIS

Digestion trials were conducted in the field on cheatgrass areas. The nutritive content of the more desirable constituents and digestibility of the material consumed showed definite downward trends for cheatgrass with advancing stages of growth. In cheatgrass, ether extract, total protein, calcium, phosphorus and gross energy decreased with plant maturity, whereas, lignin and total ash increased. Digestibility coefficients for protein, cellulose, other carbohydrates, gross energy, and dry matter decreased markedly in advanced growth stages. In addition, the pounds of dry matter consumed daily decreased with increased maturity of the forage in the case of cheatgrass.

We’ve been thru this before. I appreciate your war on cheatgrass and the work you do. Everyone should be as proud and enthusiastic about the work they do as you are.

I just don’t see the issue from my window seat. And I’m not naive enough to believe my myopia makes my truth reality. I obviously don’t live in an area with dense cheatgrass, and most of the deer nutrition here comes from alfalfa, corn, bean, sorghum, and sunflower fields.

I’m pretty sure that’s why cheatgrass isn’t a big deal in my ‘hood. Nobody here has seen a deer killed by cheatgrass, but it’s led to some destructive fires and plugs air filters so it’s hated.

In the meantime I’ll watch these mostly healthy deer in one of the few growing herds in the state (CPW cites private property as a primary factor in this herd’s growth) continue to munch away on the invasive species that appear to have become part of our local ecosystem.

Yesterday I noticed the cheatgrass is emerging. Seems early this year, but the turkeys were munching away on it. I’ll have stickers in my socks soon - God willing :)

We’ve been thru this before. I appreciate your war on cheatgrass and the work you do. Everyone should be as proud and enthusiastic about the work they do as you are.

I just don’t see the issue from my window seat. And I’m not naive enough to believe my myopia makes my truth reality. I obviously don’t live in an area with dense cheatgrass, and most of the deer nutrition here comes from alfalfa, corn, bean, sorghum, and sunflower fields.

I’m pretty sure that’s why cheatgrass isn’t a big deal in my ‘hood. Nobody here has seen a deer killed by cheatgrass, but it’s led to some destructive fires and plugs air filters so it’s hated.

In the meantime I’ll watch these mostly healthy deer in one of the few growing herds in the state (CPW cites private property as a primary factor in this herd’s growth) continue to munch away on the invasive species that appear to have become part of our local ecosystem.

Yesterday I noticed the cheatgrass is emerging. Seems early this year, but the turkeys were munching away on it. I’ll have stickers in my socks soon - God willing :)
How can you sit there and be all relaxed when one state over there is a WAR going on with cheatgrass and the state of Utah?

How can you sit there and be all relaxed when one state over there is a WAR going on with cheatgrass and the state of Utah?
I think jims is actually warring against the cheatgrass over on the other side of the state. When you live where you can’t even get the roads fenced off, spraying for cheatgrass seems like such a first world problem.

Like the bumper sticker says:

EARTH FIRST!
We’ll spray the other planets later

Viva La 3 eyed fish!

Here's an article taken directly from the CPW website:

Prior to 1976 the largest contiguous stand of bitterbrush in North America was centered at Bitterbrush State Wildlife Area near Maybell, Colorado. Fires and cheatgrass invasion have resulted in the loss of two-thirds of this stand, which provides critical winter forage for big game.

Bitterbrush establishment: effects of weed, ants, and rodents

JohnstonBitterbrush.png

Although some bitterbrush recovery has been noted, as is evident in the right-hand side of this photo, in many areas recovery has been too slow to outpace the return of fire.
JohnstonCheatgrass.png

Indaziflam herbicide can help control cheatgrass, as shown in the left-hand side of this photo. We are testing to see if indaziflam will block bitterbrush germination. Also note the harvester ant mound. Less shrubs and more cheatgrass may have increased ants, which feed on bitterbrush seed. Understanding feedbacks between weeds, ants, and rodents may help CPW design more effective bitterbrush recovery strategies.

Led by​

Danielle Bilyeu Johnston
Trevor Balzer

Project Status​

Ongoing

Research Objectives​

• Test effectiveness of indaziflam herbicide for cheatgrass control. Determine if indaziflam is compatible with bitterbrush germination. Compare indaziflam’s effects to NutraFix, a cheatgrass control fertilizer.
  • Determine the relative importance of weed control, rodent cache pilfering, and ant herbivory on bitterbrush establishment from buried seed.

Project Description​

Big game heavily utilize the remnant patches of bitterbrush which have escaped fire at Bitterbrush State Wildlife area. Protecting these patches and promoting their expansion will likely require finding a technique for cheatgrass control that is compatible with bitterbrush germination. It may also require finding parts of the landscape where seed predation is lower. Rodents and harvester ants compete for bitterbrush seeds, and cheatgrass invasion has likely changed both rodent and ant populations. Although bitterbrush relies on rodents to help disperse their seeds, and most bitterbrush plants grow from abandoned rodent caches, too much rodent cache pilfering could prevent bitterbrush from re-establishing. Our experiments include weed control treatments, ant exclusion, and rodent exclusion cages to help unravel these effects.

Last edited:
Antelope bitterbrush is highly susceptible to intense cheatgrass wildfires. We've found this true from experience with prescribed burns and wildfires! Here on the Front Range in Colorado the Antelope Bitterbrush-Needleandthread plant community is imperiled. We are doing all we can do to prevent the elimination of this highly rare and endangered community in Boulder and Larimer Counties (the only 2 locations this community is present).
antelope-bitterbrush-complex_Page_1.jpg

Somebody sprayed the hell out of Steens Mt this fall. I think it was BLM. I talked to a lady running one of the sites and a couple of the workers. The target was Medusahead, but the chemical was supposed to take out all annuals including Cheatgrass. I hope it works. That area needs some help.

I’ve heard they’ve had excellent results with medusahead near Sheridan, Wyo so I bet it works great on it on Steens Mtn. You’ll have to check back in and let us know how it worked.

Medusahead is pretty much worthless, the silica content is so high nothing can do much with it. this is what most spraying campaigns are after.

Cheat on the other hand comes on faster than most any native grass and it's excellent feed in the spring. I can show you cheat in heavy sage cover, I don't buy the competition theory.

Most of the eastern OR high desert has had cheat for a half century or more. it's actually beneficial for most wildlife vs the nothing that was there before it. our average water for the year runs 6-9" and we have volcanic ash soils for the most part. maybe that makes a difference.

I'm not a cheat grass advocate, but I'm not too worried about it here. certainly, different ecosystems could be affected in a more positive or negative manor. just saying it's not always something to fear.

It's not likely that anyone will see a deer directly killed by cheatgrass, but they certainly die from it's effects on them and the habitat. Cheatgrass reduces the quality, quantity and variety of all deer browse which makes the weaker deer more susceptible to predation, disease, accidents, starvation and malnutrition.

We've seen on this thread (and others) the negative effects of cheatgrass, but there are quit a few we haven't seen. One of those is significant and much more difficult to deal with because it changes the soil even after the cheatgrass is gone. You may or may not know from your high school or college biology/botany classes that the vast majority or the earth's plants do not have a fully sufficient root system that brings in enough water and nutrients from the soil to sustain the plant through it's lifecycle. Those roots need some help and they get it in the form of fungi called mycorrhizal fungi which form a symbiotic relationship with the host plant. The smaller and longer mycorrhizal fungus hyphae connect to the plant roots and extract water and minerals from the soil that the plant root hairs cannot extract and sends those materials to the plant roots to be made into sugars and lipids by the plant. The plant then returns some of those sugars through the mycorrhizal connections to the fungi. In most cases it's a win/win arrangement.

I said that the vast majority of earth's plants (85% to 98%, depending on which stats or need this system to survive and that includes sagebrush and most other wildlife forage. BUT, cheatgrass doesn't need it! Sometimes cheatgrass uses it, but much of the time it just produces chemical compounds that are toxic to the fungus, thus it's killing the sagebrush even without the fires!

It's not likely that anyone will see a deer directly killed by cheatgrass, but they certainly die from it's effects on them and the habitat. Cheatgrass reduces the quality, quantity and variety of all deer browse which makes the weaker deer more susceptible to predation, disease, accidents, starvation and malnutrition.

We've seen on this thread (and others) the negative effects of cheatgrass, but there are quit a few we haven't seen. One of those is significant and much more difficult to deal with because it changes the soil even after the cheatgrass is gone. You may or may not know from your high school or college biology/botany classes that the vast majority or the earth's plants do not have a fully sufficient root system that brings in enough water and nutrients from the soil to sustain the plant through it's lifecycle. Those roots need some help and they get it in the form of fungi called mycorrhizal fungi which form a symbiotic relationship with the host plant. The smaller and longer mycorrhizal fungus hyphae connect to the plant roots and extract water and minerals from the soil that the plant root hairs cannot extract and sends those materials to the plant roots to be made into sugars and lipids by the plant. The plant then returns some of those sugars through the mycorrhizal connections to the fungi. In most cases it's a win/win arrangement.

I said that the vast majority of earth's plants (85% to 98%, depending on which stats or need this system to survive and that includes sagebrush and most other wildlife forage. BUT, cheatgrass doesn't need it! Sometimes cheatgrass uses it, but much of the time it just produces chemical compounds that are toxic to the fungus, thus it's killing the sagebrush even without the fires!
I’m no cheatgrass advocate either, but it’s like #54 on the list of things killing muleys around here. Seriously, bot flys kill more.

As I said before, it’s perspective.

Here's a few articles I found in regard to cheatgrass, medusahead, and ventenada in Eastern Oregon. These invasive annual grass species not only impact mule deer health and vigor but also sage grouse. Sage grouse have a high dependency on sagebrush, forbs, and insects. Cheatgrass is extremely competitive with all of these!

Click on the articles below if you want to find out more about Eastern Oregon annual invasive weeds:

Last edited:
Again, it's not a one size fits all situation. and in some places your studies could have merit. in some it definitely does not. many I wish I had a dime for every study that was contradicted later.

If you succeed let me know, we've been fighting cheat in grass seed and grains for years and it's a never ending battle . Cheat is like a cyote it'll be doing just fine after we're all gone.

Below is an interesting article about chukar, cheatgrass, and medusahead.

Chukars thrive in these disturbed ecosystems and have adapted well to cheatgrass infested landscapes. The amount of chukar habitat has generally been increasing as wildfires have stripped sagebrush and juniper from western landscapes. While chukar hunters generaly take solace in the fact that the number of acres of habitat keep growing, many chukar hunters have not considered that chukar habitats could be at risk due to other invasive weed species. Medusahead

Medusahead-300x200.jpg

is an annual grass with a similar lifecycle to that of cheatgrass. It establishes and forms a dense thatch layer that can preclude other more desirable species from persisting or establishing. Medusahead has long stiff awns that discourage consumption by grazing livestock and wildlife. Although cheatgrass has awns, it provides forage when it is green and succulent to chukar, wildlife and livestock. Unlike cheatgrass, the green leaves of medusahead are not generally palatable due to the concentrations of silicates in the leaves (silicates are a mineral found in sand and quartz). Eating medusahead may be like chewing on sand paper. The concentration of silicates in the leaves renders it almost useless to foraging wildlife and livestock unless their food is limited. Even more concerning is the ability of medusahead to outcompete the more favorable cheatgrass. Land managers in Idaho, California and Nevada have been struggling as they have watched medusahead out compete cheatgrass to become the dominant vegetation across thousands of acres. While cheatgrass is not the most desirable vegetation in the eyes of most land managers, it is more desirable than medusahead. Medusahead seeds are moved about very similarly to cheatgrass the long stiff awns are notorious hitchhikers on vehicles, clothing and the hair of animals. Once medusahead seeds establish, they begin developing this dense mat of thatch that breaks down slowly because of the silicates in the leaves, effectively creating conditions only suitable for medusahead seedlings.

If you are a bird hunter with dogs and hunt cheatgrass country you are likely aware of high vet bills associated with cheatgrass!

Indian mtn.jpg

Are you referring to perennial grass grown for seed? I assure you that perennial grass biomass and seed production will dramatically increase if cheatgrass is removed. We've done numerous studies showing that perennial grass and cheatgrass biomass flip-flopped after cheatgrass control.

Quite a few of our sites are now 5 to 7 years old and still looking good! The photo above was 2 acre test strips where we compared different application timings around 7 years ago.

Depending upon the perennial grass species and density of cheatgrass, perennial grass biomass can increase quite dramatically and quickly after cheatgrass control. Most of our cool season grass sites with dense cheatgrass and decent remnant grass increase from around 200 lbs/A before treatment to 700 -1,200 lbs/A the first year after application.

If you are a cattle rancher, the increase in nutrition quality and biomass will likely put $ in the bank! Similar to mule deer, cattle diet and nutritional needs will be met earlier in the day. This means they will be chewing their cuds rather than roaming the hills searching for food. It's also a lot easier on the overall range and pastures if cattle needs are met quicker.

1702891168162.png

Last edited:
Medusahead is pretty much worthless, the silica content is so high nothing can do much with it. this is what most spraying campaigns are after.

Cheat on the other hand comes on faster than most any native grass and it's excellent feed in the spring. I can show you cheat in heavy sage cover, I don't buy the competition theory.

Most of the eastern OR high desert has had cheat for a half century or more. it's actually beneficial for most wildlife vs the nothing that was there before it. our average water for the year runs 6-9" and we have volcanic ash soils for the most part. maybe that makes a difference.

I'm not a cheat grass advocate, but I'm not too worried about it here. certainly, different ecosystems could be affected in a more positive or negative manor. just saying it's not always something to fear.
Maybe you don't consider it a problem where you live, but as long as it's a source that can be spread to other places, it's troublesome.

Again, it's not a one size fits all situation. and in some places your studies could have merit. in some it definitely does not. many I wish I had a dime for every study that was contradicted later.

If you succeed let me know, we've been fighting cheat in grass seed and grains for years and it's a never ending battle . Cheat is like a cyote it'll be doing just fine after we're all gone.
I would say he already showed significant result. The data is there and has been there... I have sprayed in the Maybell fire and done several treatments through out NW Colorado. The data does not lie. Areas in Colorado unit 22 that were treated with various habitat treatments (mechanical brush removal followed by chemical weed treatment for Cheat Grass, Thistle and Halogeon) shoed significant increases in the winter body condition of doe, showed significant increases in fawn winter survival, showed increased rates of livebirth for fawns and increased body weights for fawns, increased rates of twins born, etc. Sorry but there is no way that an invasive weed like cheat grass does not have a negative impact. Ever wonder why the only things growing in the HMAs are cheat grass and greasewood? Because even the worthless horses cant make it on cheat grass...

How about we address both? Why does it have to either/or?

(I'm more concerned about coyotes in Utah than wolves.)
You can address both nad should no doubt. My comment was in regard to hunters fixation more on predators because of ignorance. And lets be honest, weeds* are boring.

*weeds not weed. Weed is not boring

Just because cheat is not native doesn't mean it's harmful. alfalfa isn't native either.

Spraying is not a one and done solution and it's expensive. plan on spraying at some interval from now on. I don't see funding for that on mass scale for the long term happening.

Whatever, cheat isn't a problem around here and I don't give a FF about it. what is a problem is we've had 6 wolf depredation claims in my county already this month. so how many dead deer and elk? maybe the wolves will get cheat infections in their ears and die.

My comment was in regard to hunters fixation more on predators because of ignorance.

I don't know if it's that simple. I have very little ability to combat invasive weeds. Even if I was a billionaire, I couldn't just rent a plane and start spraying public lands on my own legally.

However, I can kill a coyote or a cougar.

Maybe people focus on things they can control and less on the things they can't? Just a guess, because I don't coyote or cougar hunt either. I just know I'd like to see as many strategies as possible employed in helping the deer herd in my state, and predator control is absolutely part of that.

This habitat restoration being discussed here is golden too. I've always been interested in the stuff jims posts on this topic. It seems like it has a ton of potential, but it will be expensive. I wonder if we can get SFW and MDF to donate the extra $15m in "administrative costs" they are collecting off the public teet to go toward this in Utah?

I have to agree with Togwotee as far as Oregon goes, we have way more winter forage than deer to eat it. We also have ranchers aerial spraying to kill sage/bitterbrush stands so that their cattle can have more grass to eat. I know one property that was phenomenal winter range 5 years ago that is pretty much void of deer now due to all of the sage being killed. The deer have just moved a little ways to the neighbors place which has plenty of bitter brush and sage to feed 50X the deer that actually winter there.

15yrs ago I could easily go out and count 200+ deer during any given early spring day as they migrate back to the woods. Nowadays a person is lucky to see a couple dozen in those same areas. These are deer that are unpressured and are on huge private parcials. We do however see more coyotes than ever, lions, bears and now the last couple of years wolves.

I think one of the biggest factors in this particular area is the abundance of elk, I don't think the elk are actually competing with the deer for the same food but the large elk population supports a much larger predator population and I think the mule deer are taking the brunt of that.

I do think this is great research and if I owned a large enough piece of land it would be getting treated for sure. I can't stand cheat grass and we do have plenty of it around.

Just because cheat is not native doesn't mean it's harmful. alfalfa isn't native either.

Spraying is not a one and done solution and it's expensive. plan on spraying at some interval from now on. I don't see funding for that on mass scale for the long term happening.

Whatever, cheat isn't a problem around here and I don't give a FF about it. what is a problem is we've had 6 wolf depredation claims in my county already this month. so how many dead deer and elk? maybe the wolves will get cheat infections in their ears and die.
I disagree first year large scale treatment does cost, but as long as you make a budget and treat every year the cost are pretty minimal. typically we can see an 80% reduction in just one treatment. Then in the next year we spot treat with atvs/truck/horses or back packs. After about year 3 we had many properties where the fuel to get to the property cost more than the actual spray.

Oregon might have other issues but cheat grass is surely an impact and failure to address it will actually allow other issues to have higher and disproportionately higher levels of impacts.

I don't know if it's that simple. I have very little ability to combat invasive weeds. Even if I was a billionaire, I couldn't just rent a plane and start spraying public lands on my own legally.

However, I can kill a coyote or a cougar.

Maybe people focus on things they can control and less on the things they can't? Just a guess, because I don't coyote or cougar hunt either. I just know I'd like to see as many strategies as possible employed in helping the deer herd in my state, and predator control is absolutely part of that.

This habitat restoration being discussed here is golden too. I've always been interested in the stuff jims posts on this topic. It seems like it has a ton of potential, but it will be expensive. I wonder if we can get SFW and MDF to donate the extra $15m in "administrative costs" they are collecting off the public teet to go toward this in Utah?
Great points and I bet you're right. But I think you're selling yourself short. And here's why

You say you can kill a coyote or a cougar. Are you using a plane to kill the coyote? Its way more effective with a plane. But hunters use justification to spend all day out to kill one coyote (lets be honest here few guys kill more than one day) to help the deer and elk. What if you spent a whole day pulling weeds? Or better yet hand spraying? You have the ability to help. But guess what, its not as much fun spraying weeds as it is hunting coyotes.

Hunters come up with excuses, constantly ***** and at the end of the day blame everyone but themselves. What would be their excuse if there wasn't a single coyote or lion on the landscape?

You can help control the invasive weeds. It just isn't exciting. While I don't agree with a lot of Jims views on everything his dedication to cheatgrass is abnormal for a hunter. He could just go drive around all day, shoot a coyote and THINK hes helping the deer and elk.

Great points and I bet you're right. But I think you're selling yourself short. And here's why

You say you can kill a coyote or a cougar. Are you using a plane to kill the coyote? Its way more effective with a plane. But hunters use justification to spend all day out to kill one coyote (lets be honest here few guys kill more than one day) to help the deer and elk. What if you spent a whole day pulling weeds? Or better yet hand spraying? You have the ability to help. But guess what, its not as much fun spraying weeds as it is hunting coyotes.

Hunters come up with excuses, constantly ***** and at the end of the day blame everyone but themselves. What would be their excuse if there wasn't a single coyote or lion on the landscape?

You can help control the invasive weeds. It just isn't exciting. While I don't agree with a lot of Jims views on everything his dedication to cheatgrass is abnormal for a hunter. He could just go drive around all day, shoot a coyote and THINK hes helping the deer and elk.
Or what if you did both? Shot coyotes while spraying weeds? I carry a pulaski and a sharp shovel for weeds. Granted I am not going to wipe out a mega patch, but taking out even a couple thistle, or a couple hounds tongue floret can save thousands of seeds on the ground.

Or what if you did both? Shot coyotes while spraying weeds? I carry a pulaski and a sharp shovel for weeds. Granted I am not going to wipe out a mega patch, but taking out even a couple thistle, or a couple hounds tongue floret can save thousands of seeds on the ground.
Get the antler hunter’s doing it. Let them in the game ranges 15 days early if they sign up and do some training. 😂

I would suggest you contact your local noxious weed agent for the county you live in, they may be able to help offset some of the costs or find you grant money.
Speaking from experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for the positive comments and feedback. I've been working on cheatgrass control for the past 35 years. We finally found something that makes long-term positive change. The closer we look in detail at the large-scale areas we've sprayed with Rejuvra, the more positive implications we are finding.

Healthier native plants relate to healthier wildlife. This not only includes mule deer, but birds, small mammals, reptiles, and pollinators. I never really got too terribly excited about lichens, moss, and soil crusts but recently discovered there is positive impacts to those species as well. I've noticed that our ponderosa pines are a lot healthier and putting on longer needles with more cones. As time progresses, we will likely take a closer look at growth rings on trees. My guess is that the growth ring distances increase the year after we apply Rejuvra and cheatgrass is gone.

As you can probably tell I am super excited about this and just trying to get the word out to other land managers. I spend hours each week roaming the hills at work and it's been a lot of fun discovering new and exciting impacts that benefit native vegetation and critters. All of these species are tightly linked together and it's exciting to make changes that produce such vibrant differences!

Last edited:
If someone asked me what I think is the most important factor in all of this, it would be to be proactive. The longer period of time that is waited, the higher chance that native species will be lost from the system! That is exactly what has happened in areas like the Great Basin with dense cheatgrass and high intensity wildfires.

Where remnant native species are still present in the understory of cheatgrass it will take a lot less time and headaches restoring these areas. We see a gradual increase in native species diversity as the void spaces that originally was dense cheatgrass is converted to natives. It has been amazing to watch the resiliency of native areas respond to this change.

What we've discovered is that most native forb species have fairly long to extremely long seed longevity. The native species seed sits in the soil waiting for the right conditions to germinate. What has been exciting on our properties is to see rare and concern species suddenly appear where they are almost nonexistent in dense cheatgrass. We have kept tight tabs on rare and concern species by geo-referencing them with yearly gps counts and polygons. We had excellent moisture this year on the Front Range of Colorado. The response of native flowering plants was truly amazing! Species diversity continued to take a giant leap in a positive direction.

Fortunately, most of the properties I work on haven't degraded to the point where species have been lost. There are certain areas across the country where cheatgrass, ventenada, and medusahead has been so dense for so many years. If you combine that with one or multiple wildfires there is a very good chance that sensitive native species could potentially be permanently lost from these communities. This is especially true with the shrub component that is highly desired and important for cover and food for deer, antelope, sage grouse and other native species.

I've spent time on the Thunder Basin Grasslands in Eastern Wyoming the past couple years and see a major problem brewing if something isn't done soon! The few shrubs that exist are clubbed to the bone and is in a world of hurt. The same case is true along the border of Colorado and Utah!

I could go on and on about the benefits of cheatgrass control but better send off. Thanks again for your positive responses!

Last edited:
I have been pressing the Game and Fish habitat person up here about Rejuvra. She has had success on both private land and control test on state lands. Unfortunately for now she can’t use it on Federal lands without getting and experimental label use as it has not been approved.

Do you know the timeline for it becoming federally approved on federal lands?

Also in the HMA areas chest grass and Halogeton is typically the biggest concern followed by Nappweed.

Does Rejuvra have any control on those? Or will it need mixed?

Elks96,
You may want to have your G&F contact Sublette County or someone from Medicine Bow Forest. I'm pretty sure both of them have been spraying federal land for a number of years. They sprayed around 16,000 acres of cheatgrass on the Mullen Fire in the Medicine Bow Forest. According to their website, Sublette County has sprayed over 58,000 acres.

From what I understand, the federal approval for Rejuvra may be as early as this spring.

I heard that someone did some halogeton research work in the Axial Basin area in NW Colorado with Rejuvra. From what I remember, Rejuvra does an excellent job controlling halogeton. When I worked at CSU we had pretty good luck with really low rates of Escort. I can find out more details about the halogeton trials if you are interested.

I'm not sure which knapweed you are referring to? We've seen ok control of diffuse knapweed seedlings and rosettes with Rejuvra. Rejuvra won't work on Russian knapweed since it is a perennial. I'm not sure about spotted knapweed since it sometimes lives 2 to 4ish years.

Here is a WG&F article about the Mullein Fire cheatgrass application.

1703032999516.png

LARAMIE - The Wyoming Game and Fish Department has been closely monitoring the area burned in the 2020 Mullen Fire for signs of cheatgrass. Cheatgrass is an invasive noxious weed with the ability to take over landscapes and reduce growth of other beneficial native plants. An aerial herbicide treatment was applied to parts of the burned area after the fire, and Game and Fish has been happy to see minimal cheatgrass and the recovery of many native plants in the treated area this spring.

“In 2021 and 2022 Game and Fish worked alongside the U.S. Forest Service to apply the herbicide Rejuvra, which prevents cheatgrass from germinating but allows growth of native plants,” said Ryan Amundson, Game and Fish terrestrial habitat biologist in Laramie. “It was amazing to return to those areas this year and see native species recovering in landscapes with little to no cheatgrass.”

The treated areas have been surveyed each year since the Mullen Fire, and results show a steady recovery. In 2021, the first spring after the fire and prior to herbicide treatment, there was a high density of cheatgrass and a lack of native grasses. In 2022, after the herbicide treatment, there was little to no cheatgrass and native grasses began to fill in the area. This year, native grasses and forbs (wildflowers) continue to recover and expand throughout the area, and little cheatgrass is present.

“We are very pleased with the overall recovery of native plants in the burn scar,” said Britt Burdett, Game and Fish terrestrial habitat biologist in Saratoga. “We are also now finding more shrub seedlings throughout our survey locations, which is promising for the continued recovery of native species.”

The recovery of native plants will better support wildlife. When cheatgrass overtakes areas, it suppresses overall biodiversity. Animals rely on different plants for food and shelter, so when one plant dominates the landscape, it often supports fewer animal species. Game and Fish has been encouraged to see a variety of wildlife return to the Mullen Fire scar, including deer, elk, moose, and pronghorn. Interestingly, some of those animals are selecting habitats differently than expected.

“We’re seeing a shift where elk and deer are wintering at higher elevations in the burn scar,” said Lee Knox, Game and Fish wildlife biologist in Laramie. “We are used to seeing these animals head to lower elevations in large herds over winter. Now, they are staying up at higher elevations and in smaller groups, taking advantage of aspen and willow habitats that were enhanced by the Mullen Fire and provide shelter and forage.”

This habitat selection continued even through periods of deep snow last winter, contradicting the expected pattern where snow pushes animals down to lower elevations. In addition to visual surveys, Game and Fish has fitted elk, deer, and moose in this area with GPS collars. The detailed movement data from collars will allow biologists to better understand the response of big game to the wildfire.

Game and Fish will continue to monitor recovery in the Mullen Fire scar for years to come. If the last three years serve as an indicator of what is to come, the area will continue to heal and provide great habitat for Wyoming’s wildlife.

The cheatgrass spraying project cost 1.2 million dollars and more than 16,000 acres were treated. This large effort could not have been accomplished without the funding support from the following partners: The Wyoming Wild Sheep Foundation, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Sheep Mountain Mule Deer Initiative, Platte Valley Habitat Partnership, Secretarial Order 362 (migration corridor funding), U.S. Forest Service, WY Governor’s Big Game License Coalition, and the Wyoming Wildlife Natural Resource Trust Account.

- WGFD -

Last edited:
Around where my place is in WY if I spray and end up with ANY bare dirt the Russian Thistle (tumbleweed) takes hold in the blink of an eye.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom