Chickens

We just have a rooster that wanders the yard and the neighborhood. Planning to get some laying hens but had to see how the dogs would react and this guy was tough, pecked their noses and chased them around until they left him alone. Should make it easier to keep our hens.

I have rhode island red hens. real easy to take care of. they lay about 1 egg each per day. really drives my german shorthair nuts though.

We've got a couple dozen Cornish Rocks for eating. Big bodied. Once a month or so the wife says its OK if I go outside and choke a chicken.

Rhode island reds, or a Barred Rock are great egg layers. You should be able to pick some up in the spring at any local feed store. There use to be good deal out there "10 free chicks when you buy a bag of chick feed". Dont buy those! They are generally all male leghorns, and those are worth the time to butcher.

We have 7, I don't know what kind. We get 5-7 eggs per day. We got them as chicks and it took 5-6 months of feeding them until we started seeing some eggs. They crap on everything though, we just let them roam the backyard, they scratch and tear up your grass too. I'd like to kill 'em all, but we like the eggs too much.

I think they would be great if you had some ground they could roam around on and then have a coop for them to lay in and roost at night.

They will clear your yard of pesky bugs though. Viscious birds!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-12 AT 12:22PM (MST)[p]we got 6, 2 Rhode island reds, 2 ameraucanas, and 2 I can't remember the breed. we were getting 5-6 eggs a day till a few weeks ago now were getting only 1-2. Looks like we might be having some chicken soup soon it they don't start laying. Love the eggs the birds are easy to take care of nad planning on getting a few more birds this spring.

A light on in the coop will do wonders in the winter when the birds slow down on laying eggs. I have even hung a heat lamp over the roost to warm em up at night. Works wonders.

Jay,
When I saw this post I was hoping you'd come up the hill and get mine, but the wife put the squash on the idea.

x(

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-12 AT 01:49PM (MST)[p]I take it you are not too fond of them. I ended up getting 8 chicks the other day.

KNThartter, might take a while to get them going regular again, but you will get them jump started going into spring for sure. Next year when the days start shortening up, get the bulb started on em and you wont notice to much of a slow down. Works good for your layers, but not good with banty type or game chickens, only works mediocre on them. Let me know how it works for ya...

We have 16. Some rhode island reds, golden sex links, americanas, delawares, and some leghorns. leghorns are by far the best layers then the reds. The older they get the slower laying.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom