Children's Outdoor Adventure Foundation THANK YOU!!!!

nmhunter01

My family is truly blessed and in the spirit of giving thanks for all our blessings, there is a special group of people that deserve my sincerest thank you. They are a group that gave my daughter a very special gift. They are the people affiliated with the Children's Outdoor Adventure Foundation. They specialize in creating outdoor adventures (hunting, fishing and camping) for children with physical disabilites or life threatening medical conditions.
2837img_0642.jpg

My daughter was diagnosed with a very agressive lupus when she was 11. She has had numerous hospital visits including the initial which was almost a month long with half in the Ped ICU, 2-6 month regements of chemo tharapy and all the joys that come with that, and a daily dose of about 11 pills. She has always been a trooper and has come a real long way. With the watchful eye and guidance of her amazing doctors she is in r and enjoys the life of a normal 17 year old girl. My daughter has always enjoyed camping, fishing and hunting and shooting. She has been on grouse hunts and actually drew a urraca deer tag last year but got sick on the second day and had to return home.

125img_0645.jpg

I met Rob and Lise Holloway in early spring of last year. I was in Albuquerque I a stopped by Sportsmans Warehouse ( its sort of a rule when in Alb) As I walked in there was a booth and they were selling raffle tickets I'm a sucker for raffle tickets (1 day i'm going to win 1.) I Buy a few tickets and go on my way. As I'm walking out I decide to buy a few more, and I ask what his foundation does. He gives me an overview and shows me a few pictures of the kid they have taken out hunting and fishing. At this point I am really interested and ask him about my daughter, he asked if she had her hunters safety card and she does. Without hesitation he said we can offer her a guided trophy mule deer hunt in Lindrith NM. I said huh?! He stated a landowner had just given the foundation this tag and the deadline for the draw is in a week and the kids they are working with right now do not have a hunter safety so its hers if she wants it. At this point my wife is helping me off the floor and telling me to go get my daughter. I introduce my daughter to both Rob and Lise and they give her a big hug and tell her they are sorry to hear what shes had to go through and would like to offer her this hunt, she is excited but doesn't understand this is 5A! until they tell her and we will film it and your hunt will be on TV! Now were picking her up off the floor. Dad sees big bucks Jackie sees movie star go figure. We left Sportsmans thinking naw really it couldn't be that easy. 2 days later Rob calls and said he has the private land application ready to take into G&F. This is really going to happen!

Over the coarse of the summer Jackie practices her shooting and by fall she is shooting preatty good. During this time Rob introduces to Jackie's guide Cedar Ortega aka outnabout and he tells us the ranch we are hunting on is known for the deer and it is going to be a fun hunt.

Our hunt is set for Nov 8-14 and driving up there on the 7th it is almost white out conditions. We get to camp about 8 pm and Cedar intruduces us to the landowner Nolan Price he will help guide. The next morning we wake up and head to the ranch and start hunting but the deer aren't very active when there is snow on the ground. At about 8 we spot about 15 deer that has 3 bucks in it and 1 is real heavy and high but they are on the wrong side of the fence. We watch them for about an hour and Rob said lets go have Breakfast at camp.
1795img_0639.jpg

These girls are waiting for us back at camp

We eat Breakfast and head out again see lots of does and some small bucks but jackie is still thinking about that heavy 6 point. At about 4:30 we see that big heard and they are working thier way to this ranch and all of the sudden 1 by 1 the jump over, are about 1/2 mile away so we start heading that way. We get to an area where we can get a shot and rob takes jackie ahaed and puts the sticks down. by this time the lead doe is nervous and she starts making her way to the fence the 1 by the are going over the fence the last deer is the big buck. and he stops but now a 80 yard shot is now 250. Jackis aims and nothing she didn't put the bolt down far enough. The deer waits and boom thwack. She hit it!!!It jumps the fence stumbles crosses the road and jumps anothe fence uh oh. The land owner gets on the phone and gets permission to on the other land. Its getting dark and we see where it had bedded down but is on the move. Cedar says we should give it time so we wait a couple hours and Jackie, Cedar Rob, Nolan and me head out in the dark. Let me tell you that is one of the most amazing tracking jobs I had ever seen in the dark and melting snow WOW!!! About a mile later she has her deer!

4661img_0659.jpg

I just can't say enough about these people. All of them were kind and generous and made sure everybody had fun. Thank you is truly not enough. Rob and Lise run the foundation on thier own, and rely solely on donations. Please all my mm friends visit thier website and see the great work they do and think about helping or when you are in sportsmans warehouse stop by say hi and buy a raffle ticket. This was an awesome experience for My whole famly. So thank you Nolan, Michelle and the whole Price family for donating the hunt and Cedar Ortega for donating his time to guide you guys were amazing.
7835img_0674.jpg

Guide Cedar Ortega, Jaclyn Gallegos and Nolan Price

but especially Rob and Lise Holloway, you are the some of the most caring and generous people I have met Thank you!
8339img_0677.jpg

Lise Holloway, Jaclyn Gallegos, and Rob Holloway

955img_0667.jpg

the Gallegos family.
oh yeah and Rob takes great pictures!lol

WOW!!! A very cool story and a very worthwhile organization. Congrats to your daughter and to everyone who put it together. A truly touching story!!

It's stories like this that bring a smile to my face. Congrats to your daughter on an awesome deer and best of luck to your family!

Great story!!

Congrats to your daughter.

I've bought a few of those raffle tickets, and will continue to...especially after reading this.

Thank you all for the comments, The foundation wanted me to reiterate to please contact them, not only to help out, but especially contact them if you know any special needs children COAF can provide an adventure to.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom