Chukar Chicks-Utah Source?

2lumpy

Long Time Member
I'd like to raise a pen of chukars this summer, for fun and a grandchild shooting party this fall but I've had no success finding a supplier for chukar chicks. Anyone know where I might buy 50/100 for a back yard project? I'm willing to drive pretty much anywhere in Utah to pick them up.

Thanks.

DC

Try Hatt Ranch in Green River. Have heard of ranches in Colorado buying from them.

Tried to call Royd Hatt at the Hatt Ranch and got a voice message that said they were out of birds for the year.

Thanks Sh3d.

DC

LAST EDITED ON May-02-14 AT 10:32PM (MST)[p]I order poultry from Dunlap Hatchery in Caldwell Idaho, In 2012 they were 2.05 if you ordered 50. They are on the internet. They have been around a long time and know what they're doing
Probably ship to you for less than $20.00

Thanks gentlemen, it looks like I'm going to have to do at mail order, as you've suggested.

DC

Thanks rockroller, I ordered chukars from the Dunlap Hatchery today. I really appreciate the help locating a western game bird hatchery.

DC

Make sure you know what you are doing as those chicks get bigger. Don't mix them with mature birds. I had some bad results when I was a kid and didn't understand that they will kill one another.

need4x4, yep, there just like little cannibalistic dinosaurs aren't they.

Again, thanks rockroller, May 29th I'll be waiting at the post office. Got the heat lamps, temperature controllers, and the brooder box floors lined with paper towels and the water bottles ready to go.

DC

Lumpy we will have chicks on the ground by the end of the month, maybe sooner! Call me anytime! 435-215-8775 Sun Country Game Birds!!

Dang, dang, dang 300wby. I tired to find you folks but couldn't come with a location or a phone number for you so I placed my order with the Dunlap people. I'd have much rather ordered them from where I could have driven over and picked them up.

People ask me often if I know where they can get chukars, now I'll will refer them to you.

Also, I've got a friend that's wanting to buy a few quail to raise and turn out on his place. Will you have any quail chicks that he could purchase? What other kinds of game birds do you sell?

Thanks
DC

Go talk to Curley Lamprect in glenwood where you live.
He has had chukars, quail he has raised and turned loose.
He got them somewhere close.

Curley's a good friend. He got his from the Hatt Ranch. Apparently, they're out for the year.

Thanks Doc.

DC

Curley is everybody's friend.
There's not too many people like him anymore,that's a shame.
He is like a dad to me,CECE was a special lady to me and my family also.Glenwood is where i spend a lot of time in the summers.

I would like to get some Chukar as well to keep my dog active this summer....anyone know a good source where can I get 5-10 at a time somewhere up Northern UT, Ogden area?

You might give the folks at Sun Country Game Birds a call 435-215-8775. They are in So. Utah but they are the only ones I know of that are selling chukar chicks in the State at this time. If they have sold chukars to anyone one up north they may be willing to give you a name of someone up your way that is raising chukars, that you could contact.

KSL Classified's has had ads for people want to sell adult chukars, you might watch listings there as well.

DC

rockroller,
Yes, the chukars I ordered from the Dunlap Hatchery arrived on May 29th. Two arrived dead and two more died a couple of days after I received them, the balance are growing like rapidly and loving life under the red light. They were a little bigger than my thumb when then they arrived and are nearly as large as the palm of my hand, in two weeks. Fun stuff.

Thank you again for pointing me in the direction of Dunlap Hatchery, I was very hesitant to do mail order but after this experience I would highly recommend it, at least if you live a long way from a supplier of wild birds.

All the best.
DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom