City Creek/Red Butte Canyon drainage

OneMile

I did some scouting up the Red Butte Creek Drainage east of Fort Douglas this weekend. Has any one accessed this area for hunting? I have a few questions for any one who may have some info about the area. Seems like a good place to walk in to get away from the crowds. Although it is close to SLC, it doesn't seem like it would get too much traffic due to the fact that you have to walk in to it. Also, is anyone familiar with the resevoir there and it's boundaries?

havent hiked into red creek for a few years alot of people walking with dogs on the foothill trails all year long this troubles the deer in the winter you have a very good chance of taking a respectable buck anywhere on the wasatch with your bow the further away from popular places the better your odds JUST MY HONEST OPINION

+1 for slc i have done alot of extended hunting on the wasatch front and have had to work to get a chance at anything diffrent than small bucks. not only that some of the day hikers will go out of their way to be as loud as possible
Good Luck and Great Memories

Red Butte is closed to hunting. From the second gate to the back of the canyon is a research area. The Forest service has closed this whole canyon to public access. The boundary runs from the ridge top of City Creek (Black Mountain)down the ridge of the smaller canyon on the north (Dry creek) to the front. On the south from Red Butte it's self along the top of the ridge to the back of the canyon. The reservoir is used as a brood pond for June sucker by the Fish and feathers.

Yup. I got stuck in the traffic and got to watch it burning.

All, I keep hearing that the Wasatch is decent for the bow hunt. What about rifle, esp. that area?

As referenced by Tagalong, Red Butte canyon drainage is totally closed to public access and hunting because it is considered a research area. I've heard that you do not want to be caught in in the canyon at all, it is tresepassing and they prosecute.

As far as hunting with rifle in Salt Lake County along the Wasatch, you can hunt North of I-80 (minus Red Butte and private property) and you must be at least a mile from an occupied building.

Smokepole

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom