Clarification on unit 15 please-elk

dieseldog

Am i reading the NM regs right?? The way i understand it are there no rifle bull hunts in unit 15, just muzzloader and archery tags or am I missing something in the proclamation.

No, you read it right. NM unit 15 is designated as a "Primitive Weapon" unit which only allows archery and muzzleloader.

Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Are the late hunts even worth putting in for on this unit. I see that they have considerably better draw odds and the latest hunt is 100% draw odds. Or are the elk not able to be found come Nov and Dec? Thanks

Not to say that it is not worth putting in for, but the earlier hunts are obviously going to be more productive. Depending are where you are at, if you are going to be able to do scouting, I might stay away from the late hunts. They are there, but after the rut is over most of the bulls are holed up in tough country.

Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-29-08 AT 04:20PM (MST)[p]I happen to like the late hunt. Have been on it a couple of times with my dad. We saw a ton of elk, 40 to 50 bulls a day. The only problem I can see on the late hunt is most of the big bulls have broken points. If you want an awsome hunt and you dont care about your bull having the "perfect" rack, put in you will probably draw it. Dont get me wrong, you have a better chance of shooting a giant on the first hunt, but its tough to draw. One of these days I will draw it. But I would take the late hunt over the 2nd hunt any day.

"Just an FYI, unit 17 is the same for elk, primitive weapon."

No Elk in 17. They all packed their bags and left..........

"No Elk in 17. They all packed their bags and left.........."
Yep, I was up there recently an did not see one single elk, not even a track. :)

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom