Classic car. What's it worth?

TheOneRidgeRunner

Car guy's, what are your thoughts?
I have a '68 camaro that I've been thinking of selling for a few years. Problem is I can't seem to come up with a price to sell it for. Can spend hours researching and see prices from 10k-100k
Whats the best way to get what its actually worth and be fair to a buyer?

20210703_211117.jpg

20210708_184212.jpg

Was it a frame off? Rotisserie?
Any other notes on the build details would help.
I've had it the last 17 years, so I'm not sure what was done prior. Its not a numbers matching car, has a big block, I installed a 4 wheel disc brake conversion for drivability. Other than those items its pretty much stock and pretty clean

Last edited:
Given that it is, at best, a 17 year old build, not numbers matching, I would do as mtmuley suggested.

If you are determined to sell it, I would not expect more than $20K for it.

Those $100K prices may fit a rotisserie build, with very few miles, but not that car.

You might try bring a trailer dot com for some comparable prices.

I had a 1967 Camaro in High School. Drove the wheels off of it. Got bit by the 4x4 bug and sold it. Keep that car. mtmuley

It looks to be very nice. The purists won’t like the mismatched numbers but other enthusiasts won’t mind. Especially since the brakes were upgraded. If you had vintage air conditioning and power steering, it would be a fun car. What kind of brakes did you go with? Was it a job you put together with items you found or was it a Willwood or Brembo package?

It looks to be very nice. The purists won’t like the mismatched numbers but other enthusiasts won’t mind. Especially since the brakes were upgraded. If you had vintage air conditioning and power steering, it would be a fun car. What kind of brakes did you go with? Was it a job you put together with items you found or was it a Willwood or Brembo package?
That brake system is a 100% complete kit from CPP (Classic Performance Products). During the install all suspension components were replaced, sand blasted and coated.

Plus lots of the stuff that sells on Bring a Trailer goes for stupid high. You might get lucky there.

Does it have a 396 still?

Plus lots of the stuff that sells on Bring a Trailer goes for stupid high. You might get lucky there.

Does it have a 396 still?
Id never seen the Bring a Trailer auction site until mentioned earlier. It definitely helps to see what similar cars have and are selling for.
Its not the stock engine, but yes, its a 396

Not saying you are but when it comes to cars like this the emotional value is extremely more then the actual value.
My friend’s dad had 3 Mustangs all original one was a white convertible with red interior just gorgeous and the family thought they would be worth up to $40k each they were offered $42k for the lot.

Some will pay a pretty penny. I am no expert on prices. My dad sold his 67 rs camaro 2 years ago for $33,000. Was on the market for only a few hours on a local classified.

4473.jpeg

Some will pay a pretty penny. I am no expert on prices. My dad sold his 67 rs camaro 2 years ago for $33,000. Was on the market for only a few hours on a local classified.

View attachment 85140
No offense to the OP, but this car is on a whole different level. If it was numbers matching, somebody got a deal. mtmuley

Not saying you are but when it comes to cars like this the emotional value is extremely more then the actual value.
My friend’s dad had 3 Mustangs all original one was a white convertible with red interior just gorgeous and the family thought they would be worth up to $40k each they were offered $42k for the lot.
Mustang don’t have **** on Camaros LOL

Growing up in Santa Rosa a friend that worked at American speed shop had one. Fastest car I’ve ever been in!
He rebuilt the engine to add more horsepower and it could really pin your ears back. And the chicks really dug it to which was a bonus!
That’s what I mean by the best years of my life. I might trade all my trophy bucks to have those times back!

Growing up in Santa Rosa a friend that worked at American speed shop had one. Fastest car I’ve ever been in!
He rebuilt the engine to add more horsepower and it could really pin your ears back. And the chicks really dug it to which was a bonus!
That’s what I mean by the best years of my life. I might trade all my trophy bucks to have those times back!
That’s how you know you didn’t waste your youth. :cool:

And As Bad As People Think They Still Are There Are Vehicles of Today That Will SPANK Their Asses!

No Offense!

I Like The Older Vehicles You Can TUNE & Work on without All the BS!

AKA being Able To see The Engine when You Lift The Hood!

I agree with doc, older restore and not a numbers matching car it’s probably going to fetch around 20k. But I also wouldn’t sell it. Even if you never drive it’s cool to have around a wrench on once in a while

We used to toy with Mustangs. Hold back and let them get a head start, then blow their doors off.

Eel those must have been Mustangs with 302 or 351 engines. Might be a different story with a high performance 390 or bad ass 427 or 428 cobra jet.
I had a 69 Mach-1 with the high performance 390 that put out over 400 HP, but Ford advertised it at a lower HP so the customer could avoid higher insurance. That baby would burn the tires in first and second gear and leave scratch when shifting to third and fourth.
San Jose built car with the full rally package. Damn, I regret selling it. So did the wife. She had a lead foot in that car.
RELH

You know, the old classics were cool and I love them. Can't beat the old lumpa-lumpa idle of a big block. Still buy them and restore but they are antiques now, compared with the new perforners. When you can get 4 door sedans with greater than 600 HP, traction control, and launch assist we are in a whole new world!!

You're right RELH. We never faced one of those Mustangs. Glad of it too.

You can bring the cars back, but those times are gone forever.

About 1975 you couldn't hardly give one of those gas hogs away.

We used to toy with Mustangs. Hold back and let them get a head start, then blow their doors off.

Eel those must have been Mustangs with 302 or 351 engines. Might be a different story with a high performance 390 or bad ass 427 or 428 cobra jet.
I had a 69 Mach-1 with the high performance 390 that put out over 400 HP, but Ford advertised it at a lower HP so the customer could avoid higher insurance. That baby would burn the tires in first and second gear and leave scratch when shifting to third and fourth.
San Jose built car with the full rally package. Damn, I regret selling it. So did the wife. She had a lead foot in that car.
RELH
Hey Bob, which Mustang was it that came with a 427? :rolleyes:

My high school buddy had a Mach 1 with the 428 and a shaker scoop. One of the coolest cars ever (y), but won’t hold a candle to the hot rod Camaro you can rent from Hertz.

I have had 9 first generation Camaros. People will pay all over the place for them for some reason. Yours was originally a small block car with a big block replacement. Without detailed pics of the floor rust, quarters and around the windows. Not knowing whether it has a 10 bolt or a 12 bolt rear end. I would put this car around $20-22k. Assuming the floor is not about to fall out the bottom!

Bluehair, it was my understanding that in 1968 Ford built a few mustangs with a 427 big block. My self I have never seen one, only the 428 Cobra Jet.
RELH

Bluehair, it was my understanding that in 1968 Ford built a few mustangs with a 427 big block. My self I have never seen one, only the 428 Cobra Jet.
RELH
Had to Google as I know squat about Fords. Looks like it never happened. mtmuley

Mtmuley you made me do some checking.

1968 Mustang Engine Information – 427 cubic inch V-8 (7.0 FE Hipo V8)​

This engine was offered for one year only in the Mustang. It was very expensive to make and offered less value to the customer than the 428 engine. It was dropped after one year and the 428 became the engine of choice for the performance group unless you could afford the “Big Boss”.

This engine was offered for one year only in the Mustang. It was very expensive to make and offered less value to the customer than the 428 engine. It was dropped after one year and the 428 became the engine of choice for the performance group unless you could afford the “Big Boss”.
Ferd gets a little sketchy with the engines back then. I’m talking about the “Cammer” here (or the 427 sohc for the hot rod purists).

As I recall, the 427 was not offered in a Mach 1 from the factory. However, I believe it was offered as “dealer service option” in 1968. However, I dont know if there are any living examples of this dealer installed option.

I believe Shelby offered the 427 option in the GT 500, and Wiki says there’s only one of those. :oops: Otherwise the 427 sohc was offered in a few factory hot rods, listed in the link.

I knew a guy that had a Mach 1 with a Cammer but it was strictly a drag car. He had two other Cammers sitting on the shelf in his shop. That’s worth a fortune today.

Long and short is, you might have seen a Mustang with a 427 but it would have been a rare pony. Incidentally, I believe the A/FX cars referenced in your link are out of the experimental shop and not available to the general public.

Interesting none the less. (y) I love the surf/hot rod culture in California, and It will be a shame when it falls into the ocean.

Last edited:
Ferd gets a little sketchy with the engines back there. I’m talking about the “Camner” here (or the 427 sohc for the hot rod purists).

As I recall, the 427 was not offered in a Mach 1 from the factory. However, I believe it was offered as “dealer service option” in 1968.
This is 100% correct. Documentation was shoddy at the time hence hard to prove. Just like Chevy shoving rats into cars that were never offered with them as an option.

Cash is king and if it fit, they'd shove it in there at the dealership post delivery.

Interesting. Up until a few years ago there was a Mach 1 driving around town but I never got the opportunity to talk to the owner.

RELH
The 427 was a FE based engine, same block as the 390", 428", etc.; There are several different versions of the FE 427" including the cammer and side-oiler. Ford never put a 427" in a mustang from the factory. The 427" was a dealer installed Shelby option so yes there were some mustangs with a 427" (rare) but they didn't come from Detroit that way. Basically the same idea as the "Yenko" Chevys.

The 427" side oiler was mainly seen in Shelby cobras but there were non-side oilers used in Galaxies, fairlanes and a couple other models.

Absolutely!
68 Camaro SS 396.
Wow!
Only thing better would be if it had a four-speed.
Reminds me of the best days of my life.
I’ll take it!
I had a black on black "68 SS four speed m-21 muncie with air (non-numbers matching) Camaro that had several car show trophies. Gorgeous car. Sold it on payments to a buddy when I left on a mission, he got big on meth made two payments and when I got home I repo'd a trashed P.O.S.;

I had a black on black "68 SS four speed m-21 muncie with air (non-numbers matching) Camaro that had several car show trophies. Gorgeous car. Sold it on payments to a buddy when I left on a mission, he got big on meth made two payments and when I got home I repo'd a trashed P.O.S.;
Sorry to hear that but I can relate.
I had a 1970 Chevelle SS 454 with the Muncie four-speed. My girlfriend didn’t like it because it was hard to drive and no power steering.
So like a dummy I sold it to a friend for $1500 and he totaled it the next day.
One of the stupidest things I’ve ever done. After that I got rid of the girlfriend lol!

How many cars were made? The big three were pretty secretive in those days. If they were indeed manufactured, they are priceless. I need to see one. mtmuley

If there’s anywhere you could get that kind of $$$, it’s bring a trailer. Crazy place and some real suckers pass through.

Never heard of "Bring a trailer" before. Cool site. I was disappointed by two things. 1... how high early broncos have gotten 2... How little my 72 corvette is worth. Hagerty says it is worth 29k, 18k is more realistic

Speaking of classics, did anyone see that Chevy is coming out with a new 70SS Chevelle? Choice of 450hp, 900 HP or 1500 HP. Looks nice, but I think it’ll only be available in a convertible.

Never heard of "Bring a trailer" before. Cool site. I was disappointed by two things. 1... how high early broncos have gotten 2... How little my 72 corvette is worth. Hagerty says it is worth 29k, 18k is more realistic
I know of it because of my Broncos. A rusted out POS with a blown up 302 will go for $40k. :oops:

Broncos have gone crazy the last few years. My son just sent me a pic of a beater 1/2 cab for sale in Sun Valley. We used to buy these for $1500 for deer hunting rigs, and it's $25K now!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom