Close call with a mountain lion & kittens

N

nmhs

If you have ever thought about packing a pistol on archery hunts.........well this may help you in your decision.......as I will be packing a pistol for now on. This happend in southern NM.

About a week ago around the 8th of January, when it was really windy I thought I was soon to meet my maker (and I seriously thank God for not allowing this situation to get real bad) and I came real close to being a kitten feast. My buddy and I didn't think it would be a real eventful morning due to all wind but it actually turned out to be a pretty good day. We hunted until about 10:00 and then decided to try out a couple of new canyons.

Well it turned out this one canyon had a really nice buck so I proceeded to put the stalk on but due to the wind and the eddy effects of the topography I didn't make it close enough. Well while I was up there I found a really nice mule deer shed. So at 1:30 we decided to head back to our vehicle and try another area out. On the way back my buddy walked down the ridge line we had initially walked up, (which I am thankful he decided to do that because he was going to walk down a different ridgeline). I decided to walk down this canyon checking out some new country and looking for some more sheds.

As I walked down this canyon it ended up getting really narrow, and full of 4 feet high oak brush. Rather than beating through the oak brush I decided to walk right in the bottom of the drainage which was about 5-10 feet wide with a 10 foot embankment on my left and the right side was really steep and full of oak brush. Remember it was very windy that day so any noise that was made was muffled by the wind (remember I was bow hunting so I was trying to be quiet).

***What you're going to read next happened really fast***

About half way down the canyon for some unknown reason I pick my head up and about 30 feet in front of me (30 feet in front of me is a natural cubby hole that I couldn't see around) I look up and I see three brown creatures run off??...I think oh coyotes??????umm????no??????bobcats??????.um??????..no???holy &%^&%............ mountain lion kittens. I start to back up as far as I can while I continue to scan the creek bottom and hill side for the mom and then she pops out at 15 yards. At this point I am backed up as far as I can go and I am yelling and screaming and making myself look as big and bad as I possibly could. I am waving my bow and this shed???..well realizing she could pounce on my in split second I realize the only defense I have is to grab all of my arrows and do what I have no idea???.if she decided to leap at me. During my yelling and screaming she it trying to figure out what I am and kind of walking towards me at an angle real slow??????In my mind I am thinking this is a real bad situation, how in the world do I get out of this?.......I am fixing to get mauled real bad or worse kitten food????.the mom then stops at 10-12 yards broadside with a branch in between her an I. This branch runs along the length of her body and is covering her vitals so the only shot I have is at her hindquarters. I nock an arrow throw the twenty yard pin on her and let it fly. I end up giving her a hair cut as I just nicked her back, but at least she departed and I was safe. I backtracked my way out of there as quick as I could while calling my buddy on the radio. He was already on his way over because he had heard the yelling.

This is something I have read about but figured it would never have happened to me. I have been hunting for 15 years and this is a first??.as least this type of close encounter with a lion. At any moment she could have been on top of me??..if this ever happens again at least I will be prepared. Thanks for the read and I thank God for taking care of me!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-08 AT 08:34PM (MST)[p]Daaaaammmmnnn! That would get your heart beating. Wild story nmhs. Good to hear everything turned out ok. Is there still a stain on the rock that was behind you? :)

Good gosh Caleb. Be careful out there! I wouldn't figure her to have kittens this time of year. Glad to hear you got out of that fix!!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-08 AT 05:36PM (MST)[p]Her kittens were about the size of a medium coyote.

Lol, been there myself a couple of times. Was out shed hunting back home once, I was looking for some elk sheds walking down a game trail, I was looking down in a little draw as I walked down the trail and for some reason I looked above the trail and about 15 FEET away was about a 170 pound couger crouched down looking at me, you know how house cats crouch and have there little tail twitching right before they jump? Thats what this one was doing. We made eye contact for about 10 seconds and it just turned and ran up the hill. I was freaked out for a couple of minutes picked up a big stick and continued on. Lol, since then I have had a couple more run-ins looking for sheds, had a large mail at about 50 feet and then had a mother and 2 yearlings within 100 feet but when I saw the first one in the brush he was about 30 feet from me. After the second run in I did by a pistol but never pack it. Be carefull out there Caleb! See you in Phoenix in a couple of weeks. Lol!

nmhs,
What unit were you in? We've been hunting 37 west of Capitan in the Tuscon Mountains the last several years, and the last two years we've had a close "cat" encounter as well! We keep seeing less and less deer and more and more Mountain Lions!
Bucky

I have a friend that had a similar experience with a cat in NM several years ago, he actaully fired an arrow into the cat as it was leaping towards him. You might think that I/he is full of it, but even to this day he gets white when talking about it. My question is does anyone know if you can legaly carry a sidearm loaded in a holster when bow/muzzle elk hunting in NM?

Yes you can, but you can't use it to put down the animal you are hunting for even if you cripple it with a bow or muzzle.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-08 AT 10:44AM (MST)[p]While I am thinking about it, here is a pic of a mule deer I walked up on dead about 4 years ago in Unit 37. He had mountain lion "scat" on his neck and all around the area. I took a couple of photos and left the scene quickly!! Their definetly out there!!
47d17e7b2919247d.jpg

I had a very similar experience with a lion and her kittens in unit 5, although she was never closer than about 50 yards. Scary anyway. But after talking to a Game and Fish officer after the incident, you are not supposed to carry a pistol with you on a bow hunt, and least not on your hip. I was told that you could carry it unloaded in a pack. This was about three years ago so I'm not sure if it's changed since then. They can issue a citation for carrying a pistol or firearm on a bow hunt(or at least they used to)so you might want to double check before you load one on your hip. Mine is usually in my pack. Anyhow good luck in the upcoming shed season and keep that pistol handY!!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom