CO 68 Mule Deer

muleys3434

Looking at hunting unit 68 2nd season for mule deer. Wondering if anyone can share any info on this unit, caliber of deer and what to expect. Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Talked to a few guys that hunted 3rd last year. It was warm like everyone has said. Guys said they were not impressed with all the OTC elk traffic even off the roads it was bad. One guy took a decent buck two never pulled the trigger and ate tags - pretty serious guys not road cruisers. I think that is big part of what you need to look at, OTC or draw elk tags in units. Depends of it that bothers you I guess.

Talked to a few guys that hunted 3rd last year. It was warm like everyone has said. Guys said they were not impressed with all the OTC elk traffic even off the roads it was bad. One guy took a decent buck two never pulled the trigger and ate tags - pretty serious guys not road cruisers. I think that is big part of what you need to look at, OTC or draw elk tags in units. Depends of it that bothers you I guess.
Copy and paste this report about every unit on the Western slope.

If you don’t get a lot of specific feedback about the unit, take that as a hint.

I wouldn't take the lack of feedback as a hint any longer. Guys just don't talk about units on the open internet like they used to. Of course, some guys are hunting 68 and won't say a damn thing, but remember that Colorado has some great deer in every unit, but they don't get big by standing by the roads.

Rich

Looking at hunting unit 68 2nd season for mule deer. Wondering if anyone can share any info on this unit, caliber of deer and what to expect. Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.
What part of the unit do you plan to hunt? Or camp? Second season isn't the time for me as I have always hunted third.

What part of the unit do you plan to hunt? Or camp? Second season isn't the time for me as I have always hunted third.
Looking at hunting out of Saguache, hunt the Easter part of the unit or jump around the road and hunt 681. Open to any ideas or suggestions.

The NE part of 68 had lots of deer 2 years ago during 3rd. Decent sized bucks, but no 180s. I've never hunted 681, so I can't speak to that on my experience. Some of the locals take nice deer near Trickle mountain and Tracy canyon.

I had a 2nd season there this last year for the first time. Went out the full hunt and hid it hard glassing where we could and hiking where we could trying to get away from people and roads (nearly impossible) like every unit everywhere there's always that chance for a giant but overall I wasn't impressed with the caliber of bucks...looked over lots of small bucks and some okay bucks being at most 165. Lots of people were shooting anything with horns...2nd season was rough.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom