CO buck 2017

Trevor

Thanks to the pre-rut starting a little early, I was able to get this nice buck that started hanging with some does. Just barely tops my best buck score wise.

My brother and I were hiking and crested a small hill and saw this buck with his does at less than 100 yards, broad side. My brother new my goal and told me to shoot him, but I hesitated as I wasn't sure he would reach my goal. He was definitely the biggest buck we had seen so far, but I was hesitant. He gave us a couple minutes to judge him and then he started walking away. At that point, I could see his small extra point and realized that he was wider than I had given him credit for.

So at that point, I decided I was going to shoot him. However, he was walking straight away and towards the cedars where the does were already heading into. I moved a little further up hill to get a better view, hoping he would present a broad side view before slipping into the dense cedars. He stopped behind some brush and then turned slightly angled away, however, he was still behind the bush. There was a small opening before he was in the trees and I knew I needed to take my shot when he stepped through that opening. I was ready and he stepped into that opening just I had hoped and I shot. Down he went. I heard my brother mention something about him getting up, but I couldn't see him. As he was only about 150 yards, I decided to sprint to where he was hoping to see him if he was wounded and trying to slip away over the ridge and out of sight. I ran to the bush where I thought he was behind, only to find nothing. I was frustrated.

Then I heard my brother behind me say, we've gone too far.... here he is. I ran right past him, with in 20 feet. I had misjudged where he was and he moved a little from when I shot and in my intense focus on where I thought he was, I ran past him. He was laying dead in some short sage, so that had hidden him a little, but we both got a good laugh about that. I think after I shot, he turned and took a couple steps and then fell dead, so he was a little out of the path of where I had last seen him.

He is 29 1/4 inches wide and rough scores 178. It was a great hunt and glad I could spend it with my brother and dad.

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums...g and Fishing/2017 CO deer 1_zpsj2hjamnx.jpeg

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums...g and Fishing/2017 CO deer 4_zpsyn7i7sii.jpeg

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums...g and Fishing/2017 CO deer 3_zpsa5relhnm.jpeg

Congrats! Great buck...3rd season? Unit?

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Salmon, PM sent in response.

Wiszard - PM sent.

Anyone know why my pics show for a while, and then don't show anymore?

Looks like Photbucket is going to make me pay to be able to share photos.

Is there another website that allows you do this for free?

9o1qlHB.jpg

RkM8Fn4.jpg

ONy8uEb.jpg

Thanks feddoc

>Nice buck! Cant tell how big
>it is because it looks
>like youre afraid to hold
>it close.

That's the recipe for good pictures. Nobody wants to see my face anyway, let's be honest.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom