CO max points for deer and elk

ddsflyfisher

OK... I get it... I am a freak for saving points since I was a teenager, but life gets in the way. I also know most guys know exactly what unit, or what RFW place they would hunt if they had max points. I have a pretty good idea of where I am going to burn the mother loads but I would love to have some recommendations and thoughts from the dudes that have done it.

I have researched and looked at unit 201, 2, and 10 for elk first season; and 66,67,44 for late season deer. I plan to do all this without a guide, and hunt with a rifle. I will be toting four young sons along for the experience. I have been hunting elk and deer in Colorado since I was a teenager, never burning a point for over 25 years while harvesting them with bows and rifles for several years on leftover and OTC tags. I have helped family with late season deer hunts in 66 and 67 in the past four years, but I don't know if the winter kill two years ago completely fried the gunnison basin.

I am hoping to find bulls in the 300 range with the hard earned or lucky opportunity on a 350+. For deer, I am hoping to find one in the 180s.

I appreciate your opinions and help- a little direction and a nudge would be appreciated.

Blessings!

your on the right track, 201 for elk, but if your a muzzleloader fan its a much better hunt and the bulls wont be broken up as bad.

deer, 66 4th is spot on, didnt take the brunt of winter like 53,55 so yes its great..

I used to outfit in 201 & 2 id be more than glad to point you in the right direction...

You're spot on with elk... pretty much only one place to go with those kinda points. Unit 66 4th is a good hunt.. i wouldnt look past the daddy of them all on a 44 4th season tag.

Coloradoboy

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-18 AT 07:18PM (MST)[p]I think your goals are realistic. That's great that you are taking your boys. Enjoy it!

I really like your style dds!
You have set moderate goals, despite your long wait and I'm guessing you are doing that so you don't fret about having the kids in tow. I can't think of better family fun than that! Best of luck, and be sure to share pictures of the adventure.

This may be a dumb question but how many is the max points for deer and elk and how many folks are sitting on Max?
Thanks

To find where everyone sits with points you can check the stats section on the most recent CPW draw recap for each species and it shows the max points levels and the number of people with that amount of points- elk is at 31, deer at 28. It is pretty helpful in knowing the trend of how many points it takes to draw certain tags and how many people are sitting on them. Cheers!

>To find where everyone sits with
>points you can check the
>stats section on the most
>recent CPW draw recap for
>each species and it shows
>the max points levels and
>the number of people with
>that amount of points- elk
>is at 31, deer at
>28. It is pretty
>helpful in knowing the trend
>of how many points it
>takes to draw certain tags
>and how many people are
>sitting on them. Cheers!

Thanks ddsflyfisher
I have been studying the stats while doing research for my upcoming applications and I noticed that even 44/4th deer the max was 2 nonresidents applied with 23 points
Does that mean there are a bunch of guys that are just buying points and not applying for hunts with more than 22 or 23? I guess I'm just not seeing that page

Yep... the first page shows the total apps with the breakdown of points and res and nonres numbers predraw on the left side; the right side shows the numbers the were used to draw; from there you know how many guys cashed in points, held tight, or took a preference point. So, 2017 deer there were two residents with 28 predraw points, the post draw shows no one used 28 points to draw a tag: the last page of the report shows those that went for pref points, and the two with 28 going in were at the top of the list- so they drew a preference pt sitting at 29- what is scary is the massive numbers below there and you can see the point creep from year to year. Hope this helps!

Follow Coloradoboys advice. Close thread. I had a deer tag in 201 a couple years back I could tell you where I saw good Bulls.

#livelikezac

You are right- I have actually been leaning towards that tag. I read about how you had helped a couple of hunters out in that unit this past year- very kind of you. I know weather is key there, but so it is with most late season hunts. If I draw that tag, would you mind if I hit you up for a little guidance?

I will definitely take you guys up on the direction for 201. I certainly appreciate all the help and advice!

I was directing my previous comment to ColoradoBoy regarding unit 44... again all the help and hints are very much a blessing.

>your on the right track, 201
>for elk, but if your
>a muzzleloader fan its a
>much better hunt and the
>bulls wont be broken up
>as bad.
>
>deer, 66 4th is spot on,
>didnt take the brunt of
>winter like 53,55 so yes
>its great..
>
>I used to outfit in 201
>& 2 id be more
>than glad to point you
>in the right direction...

Thanks for the idea about muzzleloader- haven't harvested one that way yet, but I have helped my brother on a couple that way- definite a good consideration. Whether I go that route or not I will definitely reach out to you for some ideas- thanks!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom