CO Unit 14 muzzy elk

jbricejr

Would like to talk to anyone familiar with this unit during the elk muzzy season. Before people freak out, I'm offering to exchange info on western WY or eastern ID deer/elk (I live right on the border of the two states and have hunted here for many years), or Frank Church Wilderness. I'm not after a big bull and would probably take a cow, as I'm hunting with a traditional flintlock and will need to get close. Most likely I'll have a couple of pack llamas with me, but they're getting old too so anything much more than 3-5 miles in is starting to get out of reasonable pack out range. Quick scouting trip is possible but not definite as my work is crazy all summer. Info on where NOT to go is also very worthwhile. I've done a little research and sounds like the unit is in decline, and some areas are very hard to traverse due to beetle killed and down timber. Kinda looking at north end but open. Thanks
John

PS to my original post, my llamas may not be up for this so any information on someone who might pack me into that country would be appreciated. Especially if they would do a single individual who has their own gear, etc.(most outfitters want to do a larger group drop camp). Maybe a tall order at this stage, but thanks for any info.

>PS to my original post, my
>llamas may not be up
>for this so any information
>on someone who might pack
>me into that country would
>be appreciated. Especially if
>they would do a single
>individual who has their own
>gear, etc.(most outfitters want to
>do a larger group drop
>camp). Maybe a tall
>order at this stage, but
>thanks for any info.

Technically someone packing you in, under the table who isn't the permitted outfitter in that area and receiving compensation for it is considered illegal outfitting in Colorado....

Not looking for "under the table". Sorry if my post made it sound that way. I just don't want to pay as much as most drop camps cost as I'm one guy and have all my own equipment and have a lot of experience hunting all over. Maybe that's too small to fool with for the local permitted outfitters.

Your best bet would be calling the outftter(s) who is permitted the area. Some outfitters will pack you in if they have the time and stock available. A lot of the time they are tied up with packing in guided and drop camp hunters. A lot of them aren't entirely found of packing in guys to compete with their guided and drop camp hunters though....

Coloradoboy

Interesting makes for great hunting stories of years past. Quit pissin on suggestions.

Sorry no unit intel here but good luck man and have a great trip. Respect to the old muzzle loader focus too!
BRing the old llamas , take your time , your way and have a fantastic trip.

Thanks for the thoughts and input guys, much appreciated. I did connect with Colorado Premier Outfitters who are located in the unit and they are willing to do an individual pack in and drop off, and just charge a daily rate per horse used. May go with them and will decide soon. I'll circle back after the hunt and let you know how it went. Thanks

See if they will take you back in the Swamp Park region of Zirkel Wilderness. Would like to know how it works out because there are other old muzzy guys interested. Coulton Creek and Hinman Creek on the S. side of Farwell Mtn. used to be the best elk country ever. Have not been there since late eighties!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom