CO unit 201 deer

Mnbearhunter123

Anyone have any info/expirence on the third season 201 deer tag? I was drawn this year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Have you been to the unit before? I have been there several times during third season and will be there again this year with a cow elk tag. The mule deer will be in full rut mode during third season and it will be a matter of picking which buck to go after. You will see lots of bucks to choose from. Every time I have been in the unit I have been hunting cow elk, but I have seen lots and lots of rutting bucks. Out of the three times I have been in the unit during third season I have only seen one buck that really got me excited. All of the rest of the bucks that I saw were respectable mature bucks. I am sure there are some big boys in there, but again, I was looking for cow elk... not bucks.

I have not been in the unit yet. I pulled a third season cow tag 2 years ago with the thought of it being used as a scouting trip but then ended up not being able to go. We are going to try to get down there a few days early, so with pre scouting and the hunt we should get about 2 weeks in the unit to find an animal. Any suggestions of starting places to look on the map?

The biggest buck I have seen in that unit was on a barren little peak called Bishop Peak. He must have been spooked there.There is not much of anything on Bishop Peak. It is right next to Middle Mountain and I suspect that is where he came from. I also had a good buddy take a nice 29" buck from Big Joe Basin back in 2009. It is a small unit so take your time and get to all parts of the unit glassing as you go. You will see bucks every day that you are there. It will be a matter of finding one you are happy with.

I was in 201 last year and the roads are decent but rough with lots of larger rock. Chains are a need and I would recommend a 4 wheeler to allow you to get around easier and faster.

I haven't been to unit 201 but we just finished a deer hunt in unit 2. Lots of rain and mud. Be prepared for anything. Good luck, Andy.

We can only do what we can do while we can do it!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom