co unit 21 second

angus

hello, just wondering anyone thoughts on this unit. non resident have the points and would just like to look over lots of deer and be able to take a decent buck.
will be hunting alone and basically just want to burn my points and have a enjoyable experience.
thanks for input good or bad.
kurt

I was there with my son last year. We had fun, but I think most people end up looking over more trucks than bucks in the second season. Some of the better areas really get mobbed, which can be frustrating, and it is tough to get away from roads unless you like thick juniper forests.

Lots of looking with little shooting of bigger bucks the the past several years. I really wish folks would get it in their heads that 21 is a 3.5 yr old deer unit. Expect that with lots of smaller bucks. Of course there are some bigger bucks but let's be realistic that a 140 to 150 is the norm. Lots of bucks but tons of hunters too searching deer and elk that find a 3 or crab clawed 4 pt buck the norm. Expect that.

Last edited:
Lots of looking with little shooting of bigger bucks the the past several years. I really wish folks would get it in their heads that 21 is a 3.5 yr old deer unit. Expect that with lots of smaller bucks. Of course there are some bigger bucks but let's be realistic that a 140 to 150 is the norm. Lots of bucks but tons of hunters too searching deer and elk that find a 3 or crab clawed 4 pt buck the norm. Expect that.
This was our experience, exactly. I think we saw one buck that was bigger than “normal”, but we attracted a crowd of eight people in four OHVs when we parked our truck and started hiking in the morning, right where we last saw the buck just before sunset. The OHV group sat along the county road watching us in the field and talking for about 20 minutes until they eventually took a shot, from the road, that scared off the buck we were looking for. That was a strange and frustrating experience, but we found other bucks in other more secluded areas and my son ended up successful and happy with a buck close to 150. I have enough points (20) to be in play for a 3rd season deer tag in unit 21, but I’m also interested to hunt unit 66 or 67. In fact, planning to hunt 66 archery elk this year and get a feel for that area.

I bow hunted it a couple years ago. Lots of bucks but hard to find anything 160+ IMO. Seen a handful that were over it. Ended up killing a big OLD two point.

A435B860-5FFB-4F52-B49F-4AB78CE04891.jpeg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom