CO Unit 3 4th season

Brushbuster

Long time lurker, first time poster. More active on rokslide. But read these forums all the time for the great info you guys provide.

I drew a 4th season deer tag in unit 3. Just looking for some basic info to get started. I researched as much as I could before applying and have some areas to hunt in mind but since I’ve never been there before I’d love some advice from those that have experience .
It seems as though the deer herd is quite large but bigger bucks are hard to come by. My thinking was to take advantage of the later dates and maybe catch some mature bucks rutting and moving to the winter grounds from nearby units.
Any help is appreciated thanks!

I’ve read all the posts on here many times and they were very helpful. I’ve read that quality bucks can appear in the late season. But again I have no first hand knowledge. Hoping to pick people’s brains familiar with the area.
Never hunted it but from eveything ive heard on here is there isnt any mature bucks in nearby units either. If you use the search on here it should pull up several posts about unit 3
reading the old posts in this forum was the first thing I did when researching a few months ago. You guys are very helpful

I’ve spent a lot of time in the unit hunting antelope, and with others hunting 3rd season tags. As already said there’s really not many good bucks in sorrounding units either. I’d get ready for a tough hunt unless you like crabby 150-160” bucks

I’m being I realistic and not expecting a 180+ but would be happy with a good looking 160 probably. But the fun part is always trying to find the big one

No shortage of deer there. I drove through it in hunting season a couple years ago saw deer everywhere from the highway. Should be a fun hunt in that aspect

No shortage of deer there. I drove through it in hunting season a couple years ago saw deer everywhere from the highway. Should be a fun hunt in that aspect
I go on lots of hunts with low deer densities so getting to look over lots deer would be a welcome change.

Managed by CDOW for elimination of mature bucks because of CWD which they feel is spread by mature bucks hunting for does during the rut. I have heard that there has been a big increase in the # of tags this year. They are is in a severe drought so antler growth will be way down. Many of the ponds are already dry. A lot of road hunters. good mix of private & public. I hunted on a private ranch for 7-8 years and it is a lot of good sage brush in wet years. If it were me I would really consider turning my tag back.

Just look at the weather map conditions on either CH 7 or 9 and you will see for yourself. The area is what it is...no sugar coating so some will feel good. Oh by the way Gringo I have given a few a lot of positive on # 3 in the last two years, even reference for private ranches so quit being such a grouch !

Just look at the weather map conditions on either CH 7 or 9 and you will see for yourself. The area is what it is...no sugar coating so some will feel good. Oh by the way Gringo I have given a few a lot of positive on # 3 in the last two years, even reference for private ranches so quit being such a grouch !
Haha!! That wasn’t only directed at you, it’s just something that I notice often. Rarely are remarks positive, no matter what someone gets. My favorites are “Isn’t nearly what it used to be”, “That unit can be really tough”, “No big bucks” etc. etc. etc.

Fact is, all of this is probably true, depending on who is hunting it, and what the expectation is. I have had fun on all of my Colorado tags, whether we whacked a big buck or not.

Again my expectations are to look over a lot of deer and try to find a respectable one. My thinking is the later dates should only help me. Hopefully we get some weather. I used my 4 points for a fourth season tag in a unit with lots of deer (small or not). So I look at it like a decent value.

Use your optics early and late when the light conditions contrast the terrain. It is a big area and you can see a long way. Be mindful that at times there can be rattlesnakes even later in the year. I would use CTY Rd # 3 as a base road.

Have OnX on your phone or gps! You're going to need it. Like stated before, there is a lot of road hunters, but some areas near Maybell where you can walk some.
I've hunted the unit several times, and will be there for the 3rd season. For deer quality, I would be thrilled with a 160" buck. There are some there, but not a lot.
Good luck

I hunted elk there in 2018 4th season. There were deer everywhere you went. Didn't see any monsters. Biggest was probably 150. But with that many deer you can't help but think there is a big one somewhere you'll just have to work for it. Good luck.

I hunted it last year in 3rd season. The best thing you can do is get the onX maps because there is lots of private interlaced in the unit and roads everywhere. I shot a freak 4 point on the first day. It wasn't that big but it was a odd deer and I kinda liked it.
I spent the rest of the season looking for a cow elk. Saw 2 bucks bigger than the one I shot during the rest of the week. There are a lot of people and a lot of elk hunters. It is a fun hunt but anything over 160 is rare. Good luck. post your pics!

Channel 7 is espn 8 the ocho and channel 9 is nick at night. Wtf

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom