Co. Unit 54

T

Trackerdk

Looking to hunt unit 54 this year for archery elk. Does anyone have any info that they are willing to share? If anyone has been scouting how does the herd look as far as the number of elk? Thanks Dave

truth be told there is a lot of public land but 90 percent is land locked by privet.
some will let you cross with a steep trespass fees.
but most is closed, their hunters you know.
up at Crested butte there is goo access.
but a lot of huning pressure.
you may have to trip in 3 or 4 miles.
the groups of elk are scattered.
i hunted the area for 5 or so years,
and only pulled out 2 elk.
both cows.
its hard to find legal bulls.
the outfitters have the place pretty much so covered with their camps.
but there again they dont have much of a score either.
at least not untill 3 season.

I spend countless hours scouting in the Gunnison area. I can promise you 90% of it is not land locked the unit is large and there are good road systems that will get you to the public land. The elk numbers are good and i have seen some great bulls this year. Archery is the best time to hunt it for big bulls or late season. I would get up in the wilderness (Castle's, head of Soap Creek area) and you will find some great bulls. There are outfitters up in there but generally they don't hit the area hard until Muzzle loader season. Friend of mine has taken 4 bulls over 312 out of that unit in the last 6 years. Early the high country is the place to be. Good luck!
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

jc gave you some good advice on areas to try. Probably more public land in that unit than anywhere in CO. Lots of good access

Agree also about there being an abundance of public land. Any of the creeks coming from the West Elk's can be good but it's steep country in there. I would start high in the wilderness and work your way down. We have found elk during muzz season south of the West Elk's. Good luck, you should have a fun hunt.

This looks like a good unit. Why is the hunter success so low? Guess that is why there so many leftover tags in it.

Hunter success is so low because many hunters are lazy and don't get off the atv or out of the truck. Most people drive the roads and if an elk isn't within shooting distance of the road they will never see it or go after it. This year may be the last year you can hunt it over the counter.
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

Coffee Pot Creek has been very good to me in the past. It's a long way in and tough country too.

Bean

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-09 AT 09:29AM (MST)[p]JCMuley's is spot on when it comes to getting off the road, this is usually the key to most areas, but not always the rule. This is some steep country (as mentioned above) and if you have horses/mules/llamas to use then it would seriously up your odds of staying out longer and going in deeper, where the elk are virtually un-disturbed in the wilderness environment. I have killed numerous Raghorns in the unit over the last 15 years and have seen a couple lower 300's but was never able to close the deal. From my experience most of the hunters stayed low in the unit, I hunted at about 10000 + feet. The main concern for the second season and beyond is the unpredictable weather, I have been snowed in many a time up there, so just be prepared for the worst case scenario when you go, even though your going during the archery season. Hope this helps. Good luck with your hunt!

Ditto on jcmuleys. I buck hunted 54 in '05 . I thought i was is a warzone- I ran into a train of quads (12) elk hunting. Where i saw elk was in the wilderness. Frickin beautifull country(West Elk Wilderness). Get up on the Baldys and glass ,find the elk ,pack in ....easier said than done. Big country.

Thanks for the info so far. My life took a dramatic turn of events this afternoon. I got laid off after 44 years with the same comapny. Maybe this could be a good thing. I could possibly hunt the whole season if necessary. I will have to rethink all of my plans and make some decisions. If there is any other info keep it coming. Maybe I should be considering other areas now too. Thanks Dave

I stand to be corrected,
you guys have been huning there longer than i.
after all i only went into the back country side by horse. not on foot.
Do you know where porcupine cone is?
oh ya da, its in 53,
Made that area home for 5 years.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom